700 Align 700n Project DoH

Al.

I have a personal hatred of nitro, and the mess it makes. Gas was supposed to be the cheaper option also (gas £6.50 per gallon + oil, over Nitro at £22 per gallon, also gas is more fuel efficient and equalled 30min + flight time per tank) .. lol that was an epic fail.

I got a quote on the 105 engine with pipe £476, the full Helibug Conversion £465.

They say that the Zenoah engine are balanced so there no vibration. but until it all arrives, I guess we shall see, I wish I had not ordered the OS electronics box first.

- - - Updated - - -

I should add, the Zenoah engine is self powered, so 1 less battery, and no high tension electronic controller box to worry about.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I'm running the 105 in my 700n. Maybe someday I'll get around to starting it up? Lol. For now it just looks grand sitting on my work bench!

Tony

Staff member
I love pictures, as you know. Just wanted some explanation of what has been going on with the build. That is one monster of an engine right there! Can't wait to see this thing in the air!

Al.

Well as you know, I was having issues with the GT15HZ, So I order the Helibug 700n conversion.

The kit arrived today, and I have been test fitting everything together. Only needed to add a 0.5mm spacer between the Clutch and Pinion, to make the spacing perfect. The rest of it is going together fine, I still need to do the third bearing mod. then final build with lock tight.

Al.

I figured it was time to test the engine. Running at 50 to 1 mix as a start.

- - - Updated - - -

Just should also add, that no glitching was noticed during the test, I did two tests, the first was with the radio, the second was for the video only, and I did not have the electrics turn on.
The engine started second pull. I will run it rich for a few tanks, so it beds in nice. then lean it out to 35 to 1.

Last edited by a moderator:

Al.

That engine sounds great. Can't wait until you get it ready for the air!

That makes two of us, I have to redo all the rod lengths and start the setup again, There are some small differences in the conversion kit, but I think for the better.

Finger cross, I plan to do this tonight, and run more tests tomorrow.

Al.

Good afternoon. Update time......

All built, and not a glitch in sight, the head speed is way faster than needed, but I don't have a tacho to measure the speed, I will have to get one.

Problems..

The tail is not right, probably a setting I have got wrong, it is not holding heading lock, and seems to be adjusting the wrong way, so I will go back to the Tail setup and start again, also the tail is crazy fast side to side.

So far, this is looking like it will actually fly soon. After 2+ Years of building.

Stambo

I figured it was time to test the engine. Running at 50 to 1 mix as a start.

The engine started second pull. I will run it rich for a few tanks, so it beds in nice. then lean it out to 35 to 1.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but normally one would run more oil while bedding in a small two stroke engine, then lean out the OIL for normal operation. My experience is more with chainsaws and scrubcutters than these tiny model engines but I assume the principal is the same.
35 to one has more oil than 50 to 1 so running initially at 50 to 1 is leaner in oil than the 35 to one you are changing to.

Tony

Staff member
That is 100% true Stambo. I ran my pocket bikes (yup, I used to be that flexable lmao) at 50:1 for max power. Break in was 25:1.

Stambo

Just listened to the video again, how many CCs is that engine.
It sounds almost like my small chainsaw. :)
Looking forward to hearing it howl with some load on it.

Al.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but normally one would run more oil while bedding in a small two stroke engine, then lean out the OIL for normal operation. My experience is more with chainsaws and scrubcutters than these tiny model engines but I assume the principal is the same.
35 to one has more oil than 50 to 1 so running initially at 50 to 1 is leaner in oil than the 35 to one you are changing to.

Your correct, I made a typo, im running 25 to 1 at the moment, will go to 35 to 1 later. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Just listened to the video again, how many CCs is that engine.
It sounds almost like my small chainsaw. :)
Looking forward to hearing it howl with some load on it.

29cc Zenoah 3.5 hp G290 RC with a lynx clutch.

I think, originally they were used in small garden strimmers. I have to admit, about a year ago, I was going to buy the conversion, but went for to OS petrol motor instead. For me, that was a big mistake. Since I now longer have the glitching, I can only assume it was electric interference from the OS electronics.

As for the sound on the new motor, I will get a new video done once I figure out my tail issue, and the APS is connected.

Top Bottom