700 Align 700n Project DoH

Al.

First I would like to say Hi to everyone, and Thank Tony in advance.

20 Years ago I learned how to hover a Shuttle Gold, and a Ergo 30. I had started doing basic circuits, But I could not afford to stay in the hobby. So quit.

3 years ago I purchased a Align 700n, and have over the last few years, built it, played setting it up, and then changed things, and played again. However it has Never been hovered. :mad-new:

Its is built, and I would really like a lot of help, to set it up. With a view to start learning again.

This is how it stands today.

Converted to DFC using the align kit.
Lynx 3rd bearing block,
top and bottom Lynx bearing block,
Lynx starter shaft bearing block,
Align uprated Tail

Engine
OS GT15HZ fitted with new V2 piston.

Electronics.
Align 3Gx
Align APS
Spektrum AR 10000 receiver running three satellite's (but planning to changing these to the carbon fused ones.)
Spektrum TM1100 telemetry
Original governor sensor plugged into 3GX
Reactor HVX Regulator
3x DS615 servo's swash plate
1x DS610 servo Throttle
1x DS655 servo for Tail

Powered Via
Optipower 11.2v 2150 Lipo (test build battery only)

Transmitter
Spektrum DX8.

using DSMX

I will post a few pics later.

pvolcko

Sounds like you have that thing kitted out pretty well on the electronics end. This'll be the first I know of to use the APS unit on the 3GX. You should be able to program in waypoints with that setup. :)

Three sats will be more than enough on this. The carbon fusalage sats are really meant for if the sats are housed inside a fusalage, I think. Such as on a scale heli or a large scale plane. On a heli where they are outside with unobstructed paths to the Tx I don't believe you should need anything but the standard DSMX sats.

Lee

Welcome Al,
Thats some piece of kit you have there. If this is your first foray into flying for 20 years, I'd make sure you have plenty of stick time on a simulator first. And try to get expert help for the first attempts at flying it.
Maybe invest in a some small heli to throw around that won't cost you an arm and a leg if you crash it.
The size of the 700 is very intimidating to fly when your constantly thinking about how much it will cost when you crash it, and can hinder your progress.
I hope this helps and i'm not telling you things you already know.
Cheers Lee

Al.

IMG_0977_zps8282120b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0978_zpsdba231c1.gif

IMG_0975_zps1751f746.gif

IMG_0981_zps22d07734.gif

Tony

Staff member
That is a great looking helicopter! As stated, sim your butt off before flying this thing. It will be well worth it.

:welcome1:

Al.

Quick update. The swash is now perfectly aligned using servo horns etc. Ive done the first part of the 3GX setup, but have run into a problem.

Under the Tail Delay, I set it at 1, but it keeps defaulting to 30. (showing in the software.) Ideas please.

Tony

Staff member
This is a very irritating menu setup on teh 3GX. It took me a while to get it set correctly. When you are setting the delay (this is what I had to do), hold the stick where you have a delay of 10, keep the stick there when you push teh button. If you are like me, you will get close. From there, you just play with the numbers to get to 0. It's a pain, and some of the reason why a lot of people are going to the BX or ikon.

Al.

This is a very irritating menu setup on teh 3GX. It took me a while to get it set correctly. When you are setting the delay (this is what I had to do), hold the stick where you have a delay of 10, keep the stick there when you push teh button. If you are like me, you will get close. From there, you just play with the numbers to get to 0. It's a pain, and some of the reason why a lot of people are going to the BX or ikon.

Well I have it down to 2 at the moment. the 3GX software is a pain.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, so after many attempts, the Delay is Green and 0. :drink26:

Slobberdog

a lot of people have had it jumping back to 30,

go into that part of the menu then do the delay with your stick,

then leave the 3gx come out of the rudder setup menu on its own,

then go back into rudder setup and go past the delay menu to the next step

this should let it remember the value that you have set.

hope this helps.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, it's a pain. And if you don't get things perfect, it will go all wacky on you lol. Not good with a 700.

Al.

OK, so I've copied your setting, and set 10,10 5,5,70,70,0,0

I figure a have plenty Elevator & Aileron limits, so lower them to 5.

docile is good :wavey:

Next is figure out how the gyro setting work on the radio, Heading lock ?
and how does the governor work on the radio setting, the 3GX is showing a red light for the governor. Was green till I did something.

Have you ever played with an Align APS Tony ?

Al.

Tony, do I need to do anything with the Govenor, other than set it in the 3GX.

Im using a GT15HZ Petrol engine.

Thanks

Tony

Staff member
If you are going to use the governor, then we will dive indepth in how to set it up. If you are not using the governor, Then all you have to do is the end point adjustments for the Gov and call it a day.

One thing I have not read in these posts is if you are using only satellites, or if you are using a separate Rx. I know you stated that you have the AR10000 Rx, but never mention if you are going to use it on the heli. You can run just two satellites if you wish and no Rx.

With a Rx, your gyro is channel 5, adn your gov is channel 7.

WithOUT a Rx and ONLY satellites, your gyro is channel 7, and your gov is channel 5.

Let me know your setup and if you are wanting to use a governor and we will dive into this a little more.

Al.

If you are going to use the governor, then we will dive indepth in how to set it up. If you are not using the governor, Then all you have to do is the end point adjustments for the Gov and call it a day.

One thing I have not read in these posts is if you are using only satellites, or if you are using a separate Rx. I know you stated that you have the AR10000 Rx, but never mention if you are going to use it on the heli. You can run just two satellites if you wish and no Rx.

With a Rx, your gyro is channel 5, adn your gov is channel 7.

WithOUT a Rx and ONLY satellites, your gyro is channel 7, and your gov is channel 5.

Let me know your setup and if you are wanting to use a governor and we will dive into this a little more.

Hi Tony

Yes I'm using the AR10000, because I was getting interference issues, using just the 3gx, I never found out why, but it would lose the link to the radio. I tried two 3gx units, and even sent the radio to be checked, so I tried an AR8000, and had no issues, so I upgrade to the new one, as I could run three sats. I purchased the spektrum data logger, to check also.

So, I'm afraid it's set the governor up time.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I should add, that I've plugged the governor sensor into the 3gx unit, will this still work that way.

Tony

Staff member
Yes it will. Since you are running the Rx separate from the 3GX, your Gov channel will be 7. Go into your Gov menu on your Tx and make sure it's on channel 7. Depending on what switch you set the gov to, you will have 2 or 3 selections. The % is what your gain will be at. To do this, you need to find your max rpm of your engine, and that will be 100%. From there, you will have a rough estimate of where you need to set your numbers. I would shoot for a max head speed of 2150 on that bird.

Then, go into your gyro menu and set that one to channel 5. Again, you will have either 2 or 3 settings depending on what switch you set that on. I try to start out at about +35% for HH mode as my initial testing for the tail. This will also give you a green status light on the 3GX. I then set position 1 to 0% as in no gyro, then position 2 to -35% so that I have a Rate mode in there. Just before you spool up, flip the switch down into rate mode, then back into HH mode and it will center your tail blades and you are ready to spool up.

Al.

Yes it will. Since you are running the Rx separate from the 3GX, your Gov channel will be 7. Go into your Gov menu on your Tx and make sure it's on channel 7. Depending on what switch you set the gov to, you will have 2 or 3 selections. The % is what your gain will be at. To do this, you need to find your max rpm of your engine, and that will be 100%. From there, you will have a rough estimate of where you need to set your numbers. I would shoot for a max head speed of 2150 on that bird.

Then, go into your gyro menu and set that one to channel 5. Again, you will have either 2 or 3 settings depending on what switch you set that on. I try to start out at about +35% for HH mode as my initial testing for the tail. This will also give you a green status light on the 3GX. I then set position 1 to 0% as in no gyro, then position 2 to -35% so that I have a Rate mode in there. Just before you spool up, flip the switch down into rate mode, then back into HH mode and it will center your tail blades and you are ready to spool up.

OK, now im lost.

Gov = I have the same radio as you, so would the gov be set as Aux2 ?

Gyro = At the moment, with I flick the flap/gyro button, I get heading lock/ and two other settings.

All leads are connected to the AR10000 as per your instructions in vid 1.

- - - Updated - - -

In the radio. on SW Select

trainer -Inh Mix -Inh
F Mode-Inh Hold - Inh
Gyro - Gear Gov - Aux2

Tony

Staff member
Yes, channel 7 is Aux2.

I'm having a hard time understanding what else you typed up there.

Al.

Sorry, I've never been good at explaining what I mean.

So in the radio menu, ive set Govenor to aux2, and it gives three setting options. 0.0% for all three, as default. I will alter them to -100, 0, +100. How will I know if its set right, as the Gov light on the 3GX still stays red. I used to be able to make the 3GX gov light change to green.. but don't ask how I did it.

Under the Gyro button, it say Inh. But the Gyro switch is working, this I can test by connecting the APS, and the switch allows me to swap two the three modes.

Tony

Staff member
In the Gov menu, you will never use a negative number. Only positive. How you set this up will depend on your engines max rpm as well as the max head speed. The first place to start is the max rpm of the engine. Look it up in your manual. This will be your WOT (Wide Open Throttle) setting, or 100% in the governor. Then, you need to calculate that max rpm and divide by your gear ratio (to figure out your gear ratio, you divide your main gear with your clutch pinion). Once you have that number, it's time to set down with a calculator and figure out where your head speeds will be and what % you will put in the Gov menu. This will take time and hopefully you have telemetry hooked up so that you can see your head speed on your Tx. Once you put a positive number into your gov menu, the gov light will turn green.

In your gyro menu, you need to take it off of INH and activate it by moving it to Gyro. You will need to make sure your channel is 5 or gear. In there, set position 0 to 35%, position 1 to 0% and position 2 to -35%. When you have the switch in position 0, you will have a green status light on the 3GX, position 1 and 2 will have a red status light because it's in rate mode.

with both gov and gyro, you NEVER want to be in the negatives. Only positives.

Top Bottom