FBL Gyro Align 3GX V5

Zamjustice

Has anyone out there got an update on the way the new V5 firmware behaves? I'm running 3.1 on my 480, 550E and X7., and am don't want to go through the pain of setting up a bird to find out there are issues.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

treff

I have found it's a lot better than all previous incarnations. Very stable on the ground and in the air on 450. I have no problems
except I had to reset tail neutral on slider, this seems to be more critical than previous. Other than that I think it is excellent

Derek

I made the update from 3.1 to 5.0 and I'm loving it! After I installed v5.0, I just went back through the 3GX setup, step by step, and my 450 has never flown better. I did have one crash but that was my fault, entirely, lol. I'm loving 5.0. Good luck, Zam!!!

Admiral

I have v5 running on a 450 and a 500, no issues at all, I had none with v4 on the 450 but couldn't get rid of the tail wag on the 500.

Zamjustice

so I first updated the 480 and soon realised that I could raise the gain for the tail, it's now a lot crisper with now bounce at all on clockwise piros. the 550 & 700 quickly followed suit, with improvements noticed on both. still don't understand why these gyros have such a bad rap.

Danie Dup

Hi Gents. Sorry to hijack your thread Zamjustice. I do not know exactly where to post my question. I have just converted an old kds 450 to fbl with a 3gx v5 gyro. I could not get my servo horns 90 degrees and had to put 25 subtrim in both pitch and aileron on my spectrum dx6i. I have not tried to fly yet, and need to know if it is it o.k to have subtrim on a 3gx or must they be 0 ?

Zamjustice

Hi Danie,

Try to get the servo arms on as close to 90 as possible (try swapping them around or using other arms that fit the the servo spline), you will then trim the balance out with your subtrim once in the DIR setup menu. I've just check through the setup of my 3 birds and while 25 is a little high it's not too ridiculous. If you are able to achieve the pitch that you require along with the recommended 8deg on the cyclic then you should be fine. Good luck.

Tony

Staff member
As Zam stated, you are perfectly fine using subtrim with the 3GX to center the servo arms in DIR mode. However, don't try to use the trim tabs after you get it set. If you have a drift, you can try to add a click of sub trim to counter it. If you do have to use trim (since the dx6i doesn't have adjustable sub trim rates), then hover it to get the drift out, land it, and reinitialize the gyro. This should keep it going just fine.

Danie Dup

Thanks for the help Gents. I would have missed the 8 degrees cyclic. This was my first attempt at doing my own fbl heli and I spent a lot of time working through Tony's excellent 3GX setup videos. I just took it up for the first time in my driveway and all seems fine except if I point the nose hard left the tail kicks back. It seems fine in the other direction. I have played with the gyro gains on the radio, but not getting better. I must mention that I converted the heli to fbl after a crash and it could possibly be that the mechanical setup on the tail went out.
Can I still just take the radio out of rate mode by reducing the gyro gain to below 50 on my spectrum dx6i?

Just the fact that I managed to achieve this setup myself (of course with lots of help from RC-help) was worth every minute of frustration.

Zamjustice

Hi Danie
anything below 50 on a DX6i is rate mode (typically some where around 28 or so) above 50 is heading hold (+- 72) both values are dependant on your mechanical setup, type and speed of tail servo as well head speed. If the mechanical side is fine, there is a delay setting that can be adjusted while in the rudder setup. This will help with tail wag, though it sounds to me like you have a little "bounce". I got rid of it in my heli's by playing with the overall gain (setup with the PC software).

Tony

Staff member
Danie, it sounds like you are using V4 in the gyro. That version had a horrible tail bounce back. Have you checked your version?

Danie Dup

Thanks again gents. Turns out I had a drift in rate mode. Something must have moved in last crash. I re-checked and definitely on version 5. I reduced the gyro gain on the software and fixed the drift in rate mode. Tail is 100% better. I now seem to have a slight bounce, but I will start tweaking the tail gyro gain back up and also look for the "overall gain" in the software and start playing with it.

Heli probably hovers hands-off for easy 5-6 seconds and I am now much more optimistic that I will eventually have all the issues sorted.

Slobberdog

Thanks again gents. Turns out I had a drift in rate mode. Something must have moved in last crash. I re-checked and definitely on version 5. I reduced the gyro gain on the software and fixed the drift in rate mode. Tail is 100% better. I now seem to have a slight bounce, but I will start tweaking the tail gyro gain back up and also look for the "overall gain" in the software and start playing with it.

Heli probably hovers hands-off for easy 5-6 seconds and I am now much more optimistic that I will eventually have all the issues sorted.

doubt if you will ever get rid of it 100%, but good luck with it,

Danie Dup

Ok. Now tail is ok, but can't get rid of the wobble. I have reduced the ail and elev gains manually on the 2 pods on the 3gx unit itself to 40% from 50%. It got a bit better, but still not gone. If I reduce further heli (450) seems loose. I have not flown in idle up, so throttle (headspeed) probably at 65 - 75%. Can someone please tell me if and where I can adjust the gains on the software and if I must reduce or increase the gain. Thanks for all the help to date.

Slobberdog

The wobble could be caused by not having enough headspeed, check that first, if its still there check to make sure all your ball links and arms are free without any binding, have you resized your ball links,

Lillyryan

Hi all.
I updated to version 5 on trex 600 nitro but the servos keep twitching a little. I have just gone back to an earlier version and its gone. Any ideas?:dunno:

Top Bottom