FBL Gyro Align 3GX Flight Mode 2 Parameters

hoverinabout

Hi, Im watching Tony's YT vids for the 3GX set up (very clear, informative vids!) and am a little confused over the Flight Mode 2 Parameter settings video (number 5 in the series).

Im setting up a T Rex 700E DFC.

Tony mentions when setting these either in the 3GX or computer interface that they have a similar effect to winding in expo on the radio. So my questions are ;

if setting the flight mode 2 parameters for the 3GX via computer or in the 3GX itself, does this mean I can no longer use expo on say elevator, aileron and pitch on the radio?

Will using expo in the radio confuse the 3GX with Flight Mode 2 parameters set to 'soften' the heli's flight and should I leave expo in the radio for the 3 main flight functions as set to 100%?

My JR XG14 allows me 3 different expo settings on elevator, pitch and aileron but Im thinking if I set these FM2P's in the computer and that prevents me using expo in the radio, Ive lost functionality from the radio?

Thanks for any comments.

Tony

Staff member
You can still use expo in the Tx. It will not confuse the 3GX in any way. I set these soft (for video purposes) and I still use expo in the Tx. Just know the controls will be very soft when using both.

On a side note though, If you have the cash, do yourself a favor and get a better gyro for a 700 size bird. Don't want to see you crash it for an obsolete gyro. If you don't have the cash, then only use V2.1 in the 3GX and nothing higher.

Ernie Flabbi

Seriously. I just received the 3gx gyro from a friend. I removed the chrome plating with the acid and bleach mix! Worked out well. I just updated to v4.0 I'm flying on the frenzy 50 helicopter. 600 nitro. I hope I'm doing the right thing. Setup was easy. I havent flown it yet. With this gyro. However I just took off my ace rc gt 5 gyro. It was flying ok with the gt5. But I wanted something a little more easy to setup. Thanks. Ernie

Tony

Staff member
Let us know how that 4.0 version works. I did have luck with 3.0 and on. I have only had luck with 2.1.

Tony

Staff member
4 and 5 had tail issues. 3 has a tip over issue when on the ground. You may get lucky and not have any issue with the tail, but only flying will tell the story.

Tony

Staff member
The only issue I have had with 4 was some tail issues. As long as you are good with your orientations, you should be fine. They didn't stick with 4 for very long and went to 5, but after that, they just stopped working on the 3GX alltogether. IMO, with a bird of that size, get a real Ikon2 or BX gyro so you know you will never have any issues with it.

Quck question though, why did you remove the chrome?

Ernie Flabbi

I think I will just do that! Thanks for letting me know this stuff. The helicopter is old and you can't get to many parts for it anymore. I thought align stuff was top notch. Not taking the chance lol. Thanks again for everything. Ernie

Tony

Staff member
They used to be nice, and their kits are still nice, but there is a very good reason they went to Castle on their ESC's and BX on their gyros lol.

Ernie Flabbi

What a shame to. I was planning on hovering the helicopter tomorrow. I'm freaking out now lol. I think I'm going to learn more about my ace gt5 gyro. Thanks again for everything.

Ernie Flabbi

I can fly helicopters pretty good. Not a smack down 3d pilot by no means. Sometimes nose in hovering still makes me nervous. But I'm getting it done. Took 4th place in the mid Atlantic sportsman class this past year. I fly raptor 50 helicopters. There all flybar. This is my first and only flybarless copter. I didn't feel locked in like everyone says. That is why I went with the align gyro. Something I could update and set up. There are no videos on the thunder tiger gt5. Not in English anyway. Have you ever worked with the ace gt5? Lol

Tony

Staff member
Nope, I have never used the gt6. But you can take it out (if you have the setup completely done that is) and get it up into a hover. But I would suggest putting 2.1 on it which is what I have in my helicopter that is running the 3GX. Works perfectly. But if you have the cash to get a BX, then definitely go that route.

Tony

Staff member
In my experiences, you have better luck with nothing going wrong with 2.1. It doesn't have as many parameters that you can set like 4 does or even 5, but it will get the bird in the air.

But if I was you, and this is me talking out of that stinky round thing behind me (lmao), I would give 4 a shot. Just put it up into a very shallow hover so that if you have to cut the throttle, it will land and not break. Cyclic stability is not the issue, it's the tail, and the tail on 4 is not near as bad as 5 can be. But again, some see the issues, some don't. I'm stubborn and is the reason I still have 3GX's when everyone else is calling me an idiot for still flyign with them. lol. But I do it to figure them out.

Ernie Flabbi

Your very helpful in this area. Thanks again for everything. I'm going to see what happens. What exactly would the tail do in the event of a gyro failur? What am I looking for? Thanks again

Tony

Staff member
It's not exactly a failure. The tail may kick out or go into an uncontrollable wag/oscillation. At which point you just land it or hit throttle hold and let it land itself.

Ernie Flabbi

I'm still waiting for the 1.5mm jst micro zh connector so I can build my data cable. To strip down from version 4 to 2.1 what is the proper way to do it? I'm going to give it a shot! Thanks again for everything.

Top Bottom