FBL Gyro Align 3GX Antirotation Setting Problem

Bruno

My 3GX is mounted on the anti-rotation bracket.

While setting up my elevator limits during initial setup (after I move the green light from E LIM to E REV) the swash moves opposite the helicopter movement, perfect.
Once I finish setting the Aileron limit the swash moves opposite the helicopter movement, perfect.

However, once I disconnect the battery and reconnect (the swash moves up/down 3 times) but now when testing the elevator correction the swash moves in the same direction of the Heli.(NOT CORRECT)

When testing Aileron correction the swash moves opposite the direction of the Heli (CORRECT).

According to the manual, I have repeatedly tried to change the gyro to upright ("normal") mode either by directly using the set procedure on the gyro or by changing the anti-torque correction within the software and both simply fail to change the gyro direction.
In other words, the status led on the gyro remains red when it should be green and the swash fails to correct for nose up/down movement. :banghead:

I have realized that if during initial elevator set up when in E REV mode I move the stick down (opposite to set up) and finish the procedure the swash corrects for left tilt/right tilt and nose up/down movement (Gyro Status light remains red, reverse mode indication) . Is this a "SAFE" way to correct for this problem??

Thanks.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Hey I am not very very well versed with the 3gx system but have heard that setup is similar to beastx. I has beastx..

Here is when that happens in the beast. When the setting wasn't saved and you unplug the battery. Do the whole setup and then come all the way out of the led setup system by clicking out one at a time... Like in beast it has to go through "K" I think and the next click is when the gyro initializes. After that is when I would unplug the battery and the tx and reinitialize everything.

See if that helps save the setting and your issue gets resolved ...

heli-maniac

were is your 3gx mounted on the back or down in the belly upside down
if its in the belly upside down you have to plug it up to your pc and reverse it

stokke

I think Gaba may be onto something. Bruno, you do finish the set-up right? You don't just disconnect the battery after setting the REV and LIM?

Bruno

I did the entire 3GX setup over without unplugging the battery. I even changed my pitch from 10 to 11 and my cyclic from 8 to 9 (not that this effected the 3GX, just personal preference).

Once I finished the swash responded correctly and corrected for movement correctly.

However, the status led remained “red”

I uninstalled and reinstalled the 3GX software.

I opened the3GX software and connected the 3GX to my computer.

I clicked “read” on the menu and got my setting tabs.

Went into model, chose $%) , clicked on “normal” and clicked on “custom” and clicked on “write”

Went into rudder tab. The anti-torque switch was set to Normal. I set the anti-torque switch to reverse and hit “write” (I heard some servo action). I then switched it back to “normal” and hit “write” and heard some servo action.

The status led remained “red” independent of electronic switching of the above switch.

I unplugged the Heli from the computer.

I bench checked swash and rudder and servo movement and limits they are correct without binding.

I checked swash correction and it is correct.

I spooled her up with blades and she is very smooth. Blades track PERFECT.

Still have the “red” status led. I did notice from earlier attempts to change this led to “green” that it will change to green if I program it on the 3GX itself (with 5 green leds lit, according to the manual) however once it sets the light changes to “red”.

I also read and learned (which I am sure others already know) that the anti-torque is to compensate for rudder movement relative to the force of the motor (or something like that). That it has nothing to do with swash correction. So, that confused me a bit more in terms of how/why that is related to the status light color (green/red). I guess it means if the 3GX is mounted upside down then anti-torque direction has to be switched so the anti-torque compensation is in the right direction.

Well….all this and the status led remains red.

When I spooled her up the tail seemed fine. Just like my other Helis.

It may be that in fact the 3GX anti-torque is set to normal and operating correctly however the status led simply fails to change/stay “green”

I am anxious to get this bird up off the ground a few inches and see what happens.

I will wait for any feedback from this lengthy description from those of you who have endured my dilemma or those willing to comment on my led status.

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

CORRECTION: (above sentence should read): Went into model, chose 450, clicked on “normal” and clicked on “custom” and clicked on “write”

stokke

I'm starting to think you are talking about the GOVERNOR status light, which is alongside the STATUS light.
Under normal operation, the STATUS is supposed to be GREEN, and the GOV is supposed to be RED.

?

Bruno

I'm starting to think you are talking about the GOVERNOR status light, which is alongside the STATUS light.
Under normal operation, the STATUS is supposed to be GREEN, and the GOV is supposed to be RED.

?

Just double checked and I am talking about the "status" light.

Thanks.

Tony

Staff member
Bruno, with your gyro mounted to the top, you shouldn't have to do anything to the autorotation setting. The only time you flip that switch in the program is when you mount it upside down. And even then, it won't change the color of the status LED. I wish I still had mine so I could do a step by step on the full program of the gyro, but my video pretty much explains it all to get it in the air.

Bruno

Bruno, with your gyro mounted to the top, you shouldn't have to do anything to the autorotation setting. The only time you flip that switch in the program is when you mount it upside down. And even then, it won't change the color of the status LED. I wish I still had mine so I could do a step by step on the full program of the gyro, but my video pretty much explains it all to get it in the air.

Tony, thanks.

I'll post once I have the time to pop her in the air. :distrust:

stokke

Actually, Bruno. I remember my status light also was red on one occasion - this was during my first experiments with the 3GX set-up. I didn't really figure out what was wrong, but I remember I got it green again by doing the entire DIR and tail set-up over again. That, and reducing my tail gyro gain. You see, I had set my tail gain at +80% in my DX7S, and that's way too much. So, the DIR, tail-setup and tail gain solved the red status for me.

I'm starting to run out of speculations :D

Bruno

Actually, Bruno. I remember my status light also was red on one occasion - this was during my first experiments with the 3GX set-up. I didn't really figure out what was wrong, but I remember I got it green again by doing the entire DIR and tail set-up over again. That, and reducing my tail gyro gain. You see, I had set my tail gain at +80% in my DX7S, and that's way too much. So, the DIR, tail-setup and tail gain solved the red status for me.

Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you remember if she flew fine withthe red status led? That is, if you did fly with the red status led.

stokke

Yes. The bird flew, and responded as it should, only my tail vibrated side to side like crazy coz of the too high tail gain.

stokke

I have a DX7S and I'm pretty sure the procedure is different from the DX6i, so I don't really know. But the menu your looking for is called "Gyro".

And if yours is like mine, your value will go from -100 to +100. You should be around +40%.

Tony

Staff member
marius, the DX6i has the gyro menu but it only goes from 0-100 with 50 being the center.

Bruno

So I ended up realizing that setting my DX6i Gyro setting to 70 (does this seem like the right setting, 70?) resulted with the 3GX Gyro “status†LED lighting up as green (which is how it should be when mounted upright).

I also realized that I needed to reverse my rudder servo in order to get correct gyro compensation and correct left/right rudder stick tail movement.

When I spool her up now on the bench the rudder remains stable and stationary.

However, right before the main blades spinning fast enough for take of there is a slight yaw to the left. I think this is typical when I consider that my MCPX2 and TREX Clone behavior in a similar fashion.

I am just a bit hesitant to give the TREX enough throttle to lift off and be able to correct for any movement for fear that perhaps the gyro needs further adjustment.

I know that is what I have to do in order to better determine what fine tuning she may need.

Any suggestions or support are welcome. Specifically those related to other Tx GYRO adjustments and settings.

This forums has been invaluable.

I thank everyone for their patience and assistance.

stokke

If your Tx settings for gyro ranges from 0 - 100%, then 70% is spot on.
Some slight wag at lift off is normal.

When attempting first hover, put on some training gear.

Bruno

If your Tx settings for gyro ranges from 0 - 100%, then 70% is spot on.
Some slight wag at lift off is normal.

When attempting first hover, put on some training gear.

Hi Marius,

Just poped her in the air for a hover. Yea...I still wear training gear....lol

So smooth and stable even in about 5MPH steady wind.

Now...just need to fly her a bit more aggresively to detrmine and research what fine tuning may be recommended.

I am still learning about the subtle Tx and 3GX software settings.

If anyone has a DX6i & TREX 450 PRO V2 3GX set-up please post your settings.

Such a relief to finally get to actual evidence of aviation success. I could not have gotten through this without this forum.
:triumphant:

Thanks!!! :victorious:

Top Bottom