450 Align 3G setup help!

DAL2855

Banned
I bought an Align 3G gyro from a fellow forum member and have no clue what the initial settings should be for it. He never had it setup either. I'm using DS415 and DS525 on tail for servos. Can someone tell me what my initial settings should be for it? I've only ever setup the Tarot ZYX FBL gyro. This one doesn't have a wizard which takes you through the entire setup process like the ZYX which made it super easy for initial setup of the ZYX!

DAL2855

Banned
Yeah I got the software installed, but it doesn't have a setup wizard like the ZYX Gyro! You just have to change everything manually! I have no idea what to do here! All the videos I can find on youtube show you how to set it up through the transmitter and I don't feel comfortable setting any gyro up through the transmitter. I have no idea what setting I'm changing, what I'm changing it from or to. So I don't like doing it this way!

DAL2855

Banned
really? I will be needing 3 FBL Gyros and I have a ZYX-S coming from HobbyKing for my 550 build, now that I think about it, no I will need 4 FBL gyros! I got the other 3rd 450 I'm building which I will also need a gyro for. I've heard talk about using the multi-blade heads, which it will have a 4 bladed head, that you can use a normal tail locking gyro on them. But have no idea! I do have that really good Futaba GY520 I could use if this is the case!

heli-maniac

Well the 3g came out long time before the new crap 3gx but still not that good
I have heard good things about the robbin air its a clone of the Beast x

DAL2855

Banned
The ZYX is still almost half the price of that unit! I got the ZYX-S from HK for 55.69! And it's supposed to be even better than the original ZYX gyro and compatible with fixed wing aircraft too!

DAL2855

Banned
Do you happen to know if there's any way to setup this 3G through the software instead of through the transmitter? Or do I need to go through the transmitter steps first then with the software?

DAL2855

Banned
Personally, I think this gyro is junk. It doesn't compensate at all on the elevator axis, aileron axis is compensating in wrong direction and can't get the light to change colors to change direction of compensation, tail also does not compensate at all for left and right movement of the tail. Think I just need to send it back to the guy who I bought it from and he can do with it what he wants.

DAL2855

Banned
Well I finally got the elevator travel and compensation working still can't tell if the tail is compensating or not, will just have to attempt a spool up and see if the tail holds or blows out and then try switching the direction on tail compensation and try it again to see if I can get the tail to hold or not! Maybe it's not junk after all! We'll find out tomorrow hopefully!

Dirk

There is nothing wrong with a 3GX gyro. The setup is a little confusing at first. Tony has some excellent setup videos on the 3GX.
Have at look at any of Lee's posts. He has a very nice gyro compensation setup video in his signature.

What version software are you running on your 3GX? I flashed mine to version 3.1 before I even attempted my first flight. I have had no issues at all with my 3GX. Super stable, no porpoising in flight and the tail is locked in solid.

You can do all the setup through the PC software. I used the software to double check my settings.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you happen to know if there's any way to setup this 3G through the software instead of through the transmitter? Or do I need to go through the transmitter steps first then with the software?

Yes, you can.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
There is nothing wrong with a 3GX gyro. The setup is a little confusing at first. Tony has some excellent setup videos on the 3GX.
Have at look at any of Lee's posts. He has a very nice gyro compensation setup video in his signature.

What version software are you running on your 3GX? I flashed mine to version 3.1 before I even attempted my first flight. I have had no issues at all with my 3GX. Super stable, no porpoising in flight and the tail is locked in solid.

You can do all the setup through the PC software. I used the software to double check my settings.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, you can.

It's the 3G gyro not the 3gx!

pj1969

This is what you need, it's the clone everyone is talking about. cheap as chips and does the business

Hobbyzone TGZ380 Flybarless 3 Axis Gyro System for 250 450 500 600 Helicopter | eBay

I'll have a look for tony's 3gx set up video, that will get you in the air.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what you need, it's the clone everyone is talking about. cheap as chips and does the business

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271201060024?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I'll have a look for tony's 3gx set up video, that will get you in the air.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEpmey8H2Mo
Try following this, or you can buy one of these bad boys and job done
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271201060024?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

good luck

Dirk

DAL2855;64914 [COLOR="#FF0000" said:
It doesn't compensate at all on the elevator axis, aileron axis is compensating in wrong direction[/COLOR]

- - - Updated - - -

Well I finally got the elevator travel and compensation working

Sorry, I must have been confused. Reading what DAL2855 said I assumed it was a 3GX judging by his comment on the elevator and aileron compensation not working. :dejection:

Last edited:

DAL2855

Banned
Thanks PJ! I'll look into that for my next FBL Gyro! Just don't have the money now to buy one so I'm stuck with this 3G and trying to make it work! Only thing I can't get figured out now is the darn tail compensation direction! I've tried everything to reverse it and it just will not reverse!

DAL2855

Banned
Well, Tony I watched your 3GX setup video and it's identical to the 3G as far as setup is concerned, so I went back and switched the Tail Compensation direction and needed to change the Aileron compensation direction as well, so got both switched, but now it's raining outside so I can't go out and spool her up to find out if everything works correctly now! I sure hope it does! Man this thing is a pain to setup compared to the ZYX! I would rather do everything via the software! Much easier that way! You can see what the current settings are and what you're changing them too!

DAL2855

Banned
Your video worked great on finally getting the tail setup properly Tony, but just am fed up with this gyro. It keeps acting stupid everytime I try to spool the bird up so next month I'm getting another ZYX gyro for this bird! I know I can get that gyro setup and flying without all of these issues!

Top Bottom