General Advice requested

Hi guys,
My Dad is probably the driving force into me getting into helicopters, and as such he has a few small ones laying around that he enjoys flying around, including an MCPX. He's slowly getting there and managing to gain control of them. We've been playing in the back yard when i've gone to visit him, and he's starting to get the idea, but that poor mcpx has had many a good hard landing.
Now I've started building my 450pro so i could see if bigger is easier, as i've heard, or staying small will do the job.
As such i've been looking for a project that my dad and I can do, and build together. I've learnt my lesson, and am happier spending a bit more money and getting something more decent, but still want to get a kit so that we can sit down build it together, and he can learn the same things that I've learnt during the build period.
What size and brands would you suggest? I had been thinking about building a 500 with him, i'd like to be able to turn it into something scale down the track

murankar

Staff member
Man that's a hard question to answer. If you want to stick with helicopters then any 500 or bigger would work for a team build.

If you want a brad and keep cost cost down the T-Rex 500 Super combo. Personally I am not a huge fan of Align, although they do make decent kits. Personally I am partial to the MS Heli products, Gaui (Have not flown one yet, but have seen one fly in person) and the Miniature Arircraft products.

wolfman76

i would go with the 500 is alot more stable then a 450 if your dad still learning still pretty reasonable to repair after a crash i have a 400 450 and a 500.... plus being bigger it is about double the size of a 450 meaning it is easier also to get to the parts that might need to be replaced...

thanks guys!
I was looking at the 500, and that had been where I was thinking would be good.
The 450 can be tight to get into!! but its more open than the mcpx!! haha
Dad's eyes aren't what they used to be haha
I know i've asked a curly one, and am aware many different opinions out there, and that's why I wanted to ask, the more feedback the better, then i can find the common answers and go from there.

Tony

Staff member
450 Size

Pro: stable with 3GX 3.1, about as easy as the mcpx to control, cheapest to fix in a crash. Batteries are CHEAP!

Cons: Still a bit twitchy, but not as twitchy as the mcpx. is quick and can get out of sight pretty quickly.

500 Size

Pro: Bigger = More Stable. Slower to respond than a 450 = more stable but still quick. Smallest size for good "Blade Farts" lmao.

Cons: Bigger = Cost More To Crash, about double the 450. Poses a real danger to others if it goes out of control. Batteries not so cheap.

The danger on both are about teh same, but there is more weight behind the 500. The 500 is more powerful but at the cost of going from 3s 2200-2650 to 6s 2650-3300. Your batteries will be more than double the price. The 500 will be a bit more stable than the 450, but intimidation when you get those 425mm blades spinning vs 325mm can cause you to over react with the sticks.

IMO, you can't go wrong with either one of them. The super combos will get you everything you need to get in teh air less satellite Rx (if using spektrum dx7s or dx8, otherwise you will need a full Rx plus the 3GX) and batteries.

Good luck and make sure to document the build with plenty of photos and video!!!

Derek

Before I bought my 500, I was actually looking to get a Trex 450. I got talking with the guy at the local hobby shop and he said "The bigger the heli, the more stable it will be." I've also heard this same thing from many other people, including several people here at RCH. I have to admit...this is very true. I'm not the best "flyer" out there but I have hovered a 450, my 500, a 600, and a Goblin 700. You want to talk about "stable"....oh wow!!! That 700 was INCREDIBLE. In a hover, that 700 was nearly "hands off"...it was amazing! The Trex 450 that I flew was definitely more "twitchy" than my 500..even with the Expo a bit higher...it really requires severe constant attention and input. My 500 does much better than the 450 and I love my 500. I did fly a 600 for a few minutes and it was a bit more intimidating than my 500 due it's size. The 600 is much bigger than my 500 and it was very stable to fly and hover. The 700, again, was just an absolute thrill. I have a friend, the owner of the Goblin 700, that is going to be getting a Goblin 770 in August. I can't wait to fly/hover the 770.

Anyway...the moral of the story is this....the bigger the heli, the more stable it will be. Good luck buddy!

thanks guys,
I think that has helped me, I think the old man needs something that he isn't going to be constantly trying to hold in a hover, so the 500 or 550 sound better from his hovering and holding it in place.
I understand the intimidation factor when dealing with bigger helis... and i know from experience they can really hurt when they whack into you.... my arm tells the story....
but anyway... will start hunting around for nice little kits for the 500 size.... might even see what I can arrange through one of my suppliers here at work.... could get lucky hehe

Westy

LEGEND
Good Choice .... Also the 500 looks real nice with a scale body on it! .... there are heaps of them around for the 500 Size! Keep us in the Loop as to what you decide and Pics and Vids would be fantastic to share!

you could always go one better and go a Goblin 500 :) ... just planting the seed!

Ok next dumb question to add to this thread, with the Align products what is the difference between the 500pro and the 500efl pro?

- - - Updated - - -

Where I work we deal with the align power feed units, so i'm hoping i can get lucky for a one off out of align. but if that doesn't work, then i'm back to all options open, but do think the 500 will be the way to go

Westy

LEGEND
EFL PRO is Flybarless and Pro is older version with Flybar ... from my understanding. you should see a big difference in price

Tony

Staff member
Go with the 500 DFC kit or combo. EFL (if I remember correctly) just means Electronic (or Electric) FlybarLess. DFC is ahead of that game by a couple years. Again, I think lmao.

If i have a look online, the only difference appears to be the servos between them. They are both DFC models.
They come with everything the same apart from the servos they include.
The price difference is about $50 according to the align site

Lee

If you are looking to go scale with this bird, then the Align 500 or 600 are a great choice, as the scale bodies are mainly designed around these kits.
I would get the biggest heli you can afford to crash, thats the bottom line.

thanks Lee!!
I think as long as I don't go destroying the bodies too often, the rest I can afford to replace just hopefully not all the time.
So i think 500 should suit be down to a tee, and then I can get something like the seahawk scale kit of the air wolf kit later on when we can both actually fly without crashing as often and do some cool flying

Tony

Staff member
If you look closely at the EFL, it has swash drivers separate from the blade links like I have on my 600. the DFC has the grip links and swash drivers built into one.

treff

Well Tony being an old fart myself with eyes that are not so good I would definitely go for the 500. After building a 450 I did and do find it a strain especially to hold those bloody little screws. The time I have spent on my hands and knees looking for the bits I have knocked off the bench you would not believe. Fingers also are not so nimble when you get past a certain time of life. Bigger has got to be better just from a old farts point of view. Cheers

Last edited:
Top Bottom