General 450 tail help

treff

Hi all. Just run into something that could or could not be a problem.
I have set the tail up using sub trim on the TX because the push rod seems to long to get even throw on the tail rotor blades at neutral position and now when plugged into the gyro The servo arm is not dead square to the servo but off, not by much but does it matter? Everything works great. Good movement on the tail slider and no binding. This set up is different to the last in the fact that the tail servo can not be moved along the boom for adjustment. I can not shorten the linkage rod because I have no way to make another thread. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Maybe its okay, it seems to work okay but are these famous last words LOL.

Westy

LEGEND
you should have your servo arm at 90º to the servo. set up mechanically as close as possible (Try different arms to get the closest) then you can use your sub trim to get it perfect!

if your linkage is too long .... you might have to pop down to your LHS or Hardware store and take a steel linkage in and get them to match up a thread die for it. .... will only cost you a few bucks and then you will never question the set up....

Your tail slider will be in the centre of the rotor shaft and you blades should be at 0 pitch. Of course you know all this stuff ... I am just rattling on.

treff

Thanks for that Westy. Unfortunately LHS does not exist around here anymore, all closed some years ago I may have to invest in a small die and do it my self. The servo arm is not far away to be honest but one of those nagging things that should be perfect. The tail works great far better than the first one. I not sure about the mounting of the servo right at the back of the frame not to easy for making adjustments and it means the linkage does not run straight but is always at an angle. Still onwards and upwards (hopefully LOL) Cheers.

Last edited:

Lee

Is the pitch slider off by much? It actually can help to have some pitch in the blades to start with, therefore the tail is resisting the torque without having to move the servo from 90º. That will give you even piro rate in both directions.

treff

I set up the servo at 90 degrees but the tail was not balanced when the two blades were pulled up, so I used subtrim to get them balanced this of course moved the servo arm from centre. I then adjusted the gyro and in rate mode the servo arm is not centred. It's close but the push rod needs to be shortened but I have no more adjustment the rod is to long. Everything works great and in the right way as per your video so I think I will give it a try tomorrow. Cheers Lee

Last edited:

Westy

LEGEND
here are 10 metal threaded link rods for 1.79

Metal Push Rods M2.2xL300 (10pcs/set)

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a Die ... a good Quality one ... K&S

Metric Die 2mm (k+s460) K-S Tap and Die

- - - Updated - - -

you can buy Left hand thread ones too .... that means you do not have to take your ball joints off.... and will have way more accuracy with adjustments.... I am getting one !!!! then you can tap one end of every linkage to left hand thread ... and you have got an adjustable Swashbuckle ... simply put a 3mm nut in the middle and resin it in place .... :) = Sorted!

This is specially helpful on the Elevator servo inside the chassis of the heli as you will not have to remove it to turn it ... as long as you can get some long nose pliers in to turn it.

Last edited:

Slobberdog

Just a quick question, can you pull your boom a bit more, is your belt to loose or can you put a mm more tension in it. Just a thought. Might give you that little more room for manoeuvre.

treff

Thanks all for the info and advice. The tail is set to the tension on the belt so I think leave it alone or get new push rob. My friend Dave has a set of thread dies for push rods so if time permits I will see if he can do the job for me. Hols are looming so will probably leave it until we get back and have a fresh look at it. After looking at the Align drawing and measurement of the rod it is indeed on the long side by quite a bit. Thanks again.

Top Bottom