450 450 Pro FBL conversion

KLA

I finally finished my Align 450 Pro FBL conversion. I used a Tarot Split Lock DFC head and a Microbeast FBL unit that Rodney was so kind to donate to my project some time ago (thank you soooo much, Rodney, you're the man!) Haven't got a chance to get her in the air yet but will post my thoughts when I do. Here's a few pictures of my 450 Pro DFC with a few other aftermarket parts (canopy, tail boom, skids):

Shared album - Keith Perry - Google Photos

IMG_20160521_103247.jpg

IMG_20160521_103558.jpg

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I finally finished my Align 450 Pro FBL conversion. I used a Tarot Split Lock DFC head and a Microbeast FBL unit that Rodney was so kind to donate to my project some time ago (thank you soooo much, Rodney, you're the man!) Haven't got a chance to get her in the air yet but will post my thoughts when I do. Here's a few pictures of my 450 Pro DFC with a few other aftermarket parts (canopy, tail boom, skids):

Looks good! it's time to put her in the air. Don't forget to record the flight .... :poidh:

KLA

Thanks guys. Haven't got a chance to fly it yet. This new job is keeping me busy 10-12 hours a day, 6 days a week. But when I do get to take it up in the air I'll be sure to let you all know.

KLA

No, Ben, it's the original Microbeast Plus. A member here on RCHelp donated it to me. He is a great guy and he really goes me out when I needed it. But the only real difference in the firmware between the two is that the one I have isn't upgradable to have the rescue and bailout

murankar

Staff member
I have not seen one of those frames in a long time. Mine is in a land fill somewhere in Texas. COngrats or restoring that ole girl. Looking good.

KLA

Thanks Mathias, appreciate the compliments. Hopefully I'll get a chance to get her up in the air today or tomorrow. My new job is wearing me out, but I'm off today and tomorrow, finally. Man I'll tell ya, I can really use the break. I'm wore out. Been working 10-12 hours a day, 6 days a week for the past 5 weeks. Gonna try like h*#l to get her in the air for the first time since the conversion. I'll post my thoughts when I do. Can't wait!!! : -)

Tony

Staff member
Double and triple check your gyro correction directions and stick directions. Just had another bird go down because the gyro was reversed. Too many crashes here lately.

KLA

I'm already sure everything is correct. But, thanks for the heads up. I already had the BeastX setup on this helicopter with a different conventional FBL head and everything is operating as it should. I switched FBL heads cause the one I was using had too much slop in the grips. Plus, I really wanted the Tarot Split Lock DFC head. But I'm already positive that the Beast is set up correctly. Just have to fine tune the settings for the new DFC head.

Tony

Staff member
Sounds good to me Keith. Not doubting you in any way, just don't want to see any more helicopters taking dirt naps.

Make sure to get the flight on video. :biggrin1:

KLA

No faith at all! What's up with that? LOL!!! Just kidding Tony. Thanks for the heads up. It's nice to have people that are concerned instead of always criticising your setups or decisions. I'll try to get a video, but sometimes it's hard talking my wife into going to the flying field with me.

KLA

Well, got my 450 pro re-setup with the Tarot DFC head and fine tuned the Microbeast and it flies wonderful. Very stable. I'm really happy with it. But, my dumb ass got cocky and wanted to show my wife how good it flies so figured I would hover it for a few seconds in the kitchen. Went good at first but got a little too close to one of the chairs and a blade just barely nicked the chair. Well, my brand new CF blades just broke into pieces and cracked about 1/3 of the canopy off in the process.

I guess I learned my lesson. I'll never try that again.

Admiral

Check your feathering shaft and main shaft, it's rare to hit something solid with a blade and not damage one or the other or both.

We have all done something like that at some stage, it hammers home how powerful these things are and how dangerous they can be, my mishap was with a 500, I'll never do that again.

trainrider06

awe Keith sorry to hear about the mishap, really sucks when we do something we know we might aught not, but do it anyway....;-( Hope you get her airborne soon!

KLA

Yeah it does suck but it's not too bad. Just have to order a new canopy and blades now. Checked the feathering shaft and main shaft, feathering shaft is slightly bent but I have another one. Main shaft is ok. Other than that it flew great outside. First flight after the conversion. I'm very pleased with how well it flies and how stable it is with the Microbeast.

KLA

Yeah, I think I'm gonna stop flying it in the house. I would hover my SR and 230s in the house all the time just to check things out but you don't realize the power difference with a 450 til you actually do it. A 450 in the house is a definite no no. That could've ended up a lot worse than it did. Won't never do that again.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Good call.:thinking: Flying in the house is not really a good idea for a 450. Your just asking for trouble :frown:.

Top Bottom