FBL Gyro 3GX v4.0

Tony

Staff member
I will see what I can do for next weekend. Should be able to have it setup by then.

Tony

Staff member
I didn't want to do it, but I did it. Before I even finished my first cup of coffee this morning, I went ahead and updated my gyro to 4.0 and gave it a shot.

The Update
The update goes just as any of the others go. Just uninstall whatever version you have, install the 4.0 version in the same spot, and the update and the interface are exactly the same as 3.0/3.1.

Gyro Settings
Once the firmware update is complete, your gyro will reinitialize and it will say "Finish Update" on the screen. Close out the window and open up the 3GX software on your computer once again.

In "MY" case, ALL of my settings remained in the gyro. EVERYTHING! All of my Flight Param's, All of my DIR settings, All of my rudder settings, everything. After verifying that, it was time to head outside and give it a shot.

First Flight / Hover
Because the sun was so low and facing right at me, I couldn't actually fly it around. But, my worry was not with flying, the 3GX has always been great in the air. It's when it's on the ground that I was worried about.

I spooled it up and for some reason I have a shake on spool up. Not sure why unless my main shaft is bent. More checking needed. But, spooled it up and out of instinct, I put it in the air before it finished spooling up. Hovering around (I have simulated flybar and so on set in the gyro), this thing seems exactly the same as 3.1. So I sat it down In the grass so that it couldn't slide side to side. I was pretty sure that because I was in grass, the gyro would start fighting with it's self and tip it over. $3 blades, I don't care and the main shaft may be bent anyway lol.

After about 20 seconds on the ground, it was still just sitting there at 0º of pitch just doing what it was doing. I'm pretty surprised and hope they did actually fix the issue.

Conclusion
With what I saw with a low battery and not much flight time, I would say go ahead and update your gyro. Make sure though to uninstall the software from your computer FIRST, then install 4.0. After you do the 4.0 install on yoru computer, there will be ANOTHER window for FTDI drivers. Install those! Those are required for this gyro software to work correctly.

After you update your computer software, update the firmware just as I have shown in the video. Once done with that, CHECK YOUR SETTINGS! Go through DIR mode, go through the rudder setup and go through the Flight Mode settings (you can do the FM settings on the computer software to verify) to make sure all of your settings are correct. As stated, mine stayed exactly where I had them and I didn't have to do anything but verify. But make sure!

I will be getting more flights in on this. After I landed and was walking back inside, one of the blades felt loose. I looked closer, and one of the balls had almost pulled completely out of the swash. So I guess I was lucky that I didn't go flying around with it lol. Time to bust out the thread lock! And since I have to tear the head off anyway, might as well check that main shaft.

I like it. Will you?

Dizzle000

Hmm defiantly thinking about updating a little sceptical tho as the curent software works pretty good. Is the setup the same as say 3.1? I kno some say there setting stayed the same but just wanted to make sure the Dir setup was the same as 3.1 so I don't get all confused.

Tony

Staff member
The setup, as far as I can tell (I have not been able to go through all of it yet) is exactly the same. In all honesty, when I updated mine, I verified that the gyros were correcting in the correct direction and that my flight mode settings were the same which I checked in teh computer software.

In all honesty, if your 3.1 is doing fine, then I would leave it. Not sure if 4.0 will bring anything to the table for those that have a working gyro. I know I want to try it on my 600N just to see if it will work.

JEXFIRE

all my settings stayed the same as well. I went back through the DIR settings and rudder setup just to make sure I had everything set up correctly. I found out that I had my aileron correction direction reversed. and all my flight mode settings stayed the same as well. I got in two successful test flights before I stripped the main gear because my gear mesh was too tight. and I think my belt is a little too tight because I'm getting some up and down movement from the tail. But all in all 4.0 seems to be working.

Tony

Staff member
Stripping would not be the right word that I would choose. Melting sounds better lol. Sucks though no matter what it's called.

As for the tail, remember that the fuse is going to help hold it. The way you have it now, there is no support for the tail boom. There is only one heli that I know of that does not use tail supports, and that is the Warp 360. So you are going to have some up and down movement in the tail unless you find a way to support it.

JEXFIRE

Yea and I know exactly when it happened. I was doin some pitch bumps in normal mode to check my gain setting when I heard a loud grinding noise haha. I think I'll be flying in idle up 1 from now on. And good point on the tail. That thought had crossed my mind. The fuse does come with at least one plywood former to be glued in to support the tail. I may also try to modify some boom supports to fit inside the fuse but I don't think there will be room. I may also try making a foam former to support and dampen vibration. I did this with my 450 and it seemed to help.

flysolo

I was at my field today, second time with 4.0 and the 450

The 450 is very nice mechanically. Had 3 perfect take offs, flights and landings. On the fourth battery the heli tips over on the ground when I spool up! Main blades scratch the ground but I manage to save it.

Also after the update when I connect the battery the Ail servo is maxed out very strange before all servos a lined up and do the up and down init thing. Don't remember it doing that before.

First try with v4.0 and the 550 couldn't get it in the air. After it initilize the swash slowly starts to tilt forward. I'm gonna redo setup before i blame the update.

Sounds strange? No one else seems to have problems with v4.. I never experienced anything like this with the previous versions.

Tony

Staff member
Sounds to me like the one with teh tilting swash has some trim bumped into it. Make sure all your trims are in the middle and make sure you are not touching the sticks when you plug the heli in. I only have one 30 second hover on 4.0, so I can't really say if it's good or bad.

flysolo

Thanks Tony, I checked trims now but they are all good. When I try it now at home they both seem to initialize like normal, no tilting on the 550 or the ail servo max out with the 450. Just at the field.. I don't know, going to try again tomorrow.

flysolo

I did a video on the field. Sure looks like trim or something similiar but I checked and there is none. What else could cause this? When I came home and tried it seems fine.

Going out to the field again today and will report back after but maybe you can see something i missed in the video already?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
That is interesting. I'm not sure what is causing that. was the heli level on the ground?

pvolcko

Both trim and subtrim were 0? If I recall right, on the 3GX you setup the Tx with subtrim to level the swash out while in DIR mode. Maybe after the update you have to redo your DIR setup and subtrims?

Tony

Staff member
You are correct Paul. The 3GX does use Tx sub trim to level out the swash. And redoing the DIR setup is a great idea. sometimes, the param's just don't take.

flysolo

Thanks, i did the full setup after the update but some settings must not been set correctly. I noticed now when i tried again that the tail limits just wouldn't register, it never blinked at the endpoints. Had to reboot the 3gx a couple of times and then it worked. Now it's fine :)

arisS2000

Hello, is it time to update from v3.1 to v4 now or wait some time in order to see how it works and if it has any problems?
Right now I have the v3.1 and I'm very pleased on my Trex 550 DFC.

Cheers

Aris..

Tony

Staff member
IMO, if you have 3.1 and you like it, stick with it. 4.0 doesn't really add anything other than ground stability that I can see. I need to do some more testing on it though. I only have a few flights on it so far.

Top Bottom