FBL Gyro 3GX v4.0

Tony

Staff member
Interesting. I think 3.0 was the shortest version yet. Will have to get a heli flying soon and test it out. Thanks for the link.

Tony

Staff member
Just had a look through the software, and it doesn't look like they changed anything in there. So I'm guessing they improved something in the stability of the firmware in the gyro unit it's self. We will find out.

danhampson

One of the reasons I haven't put my 450 back in the air was I wasn't happy with the 3gx, its the 3gx that tipped it over and destroyed 2 servos. But I might have to get it sorted out and flash it to 4.0.

Slobberdog

Sorry Tony but I have sinned,

Just been reading a thread on another forum, regarding the team pilots for Robbe UK and Midland Heli's testing of the V4 update, with this out of the box it makes the heli feel very loose and will need to be dialled back in the software parameters and gains, they say, but they have sent a list of thier experiances with V4 to Align for them to look at,

Another person has said it feels more connected without loosing stability,

WAIT I wonder who is right, who's got a coin

seems like Align done this unofficial update to get feedback of the team and other top pilots to see what they can alter before general release,

I think I will be holding off on this one until more feedback hits the streets, V3.1 is working well for me anyway.

danhampson

I didn't have any problems with the 3gx. I had crashed it and rebuild flew 2 packs without issue and on the third pack it tipped it over.
I was ready to throw the unit in the trash at that point and didn't trust the software, so i didnt rebuild.
I do think that I will wait for the general release and if its anything like 3.1 it won't be long until they release it to the public.

Slobberdog

I think I have not seen any issues as I don't let it sit on the ground running, I just push throttle to half stick then wait a second for it to catch up a bit then pop it off the ground, the longer you keep it on the ground running the more likely you will have an issue, if v4 don't work we will know about it quickly, if that's the case it might be the Ikon for Xmas.

danhampson

I've got both kev and the ikon just works I haven't played with any of the settings just put it on 3D setting and flew it, and it just works the gains are fine for what I'm doing at the moment and as my skill level progresses I will learn it as I go along, maybe asking a load of questions along the way.

pavotibio

I think it's official now. They released the 4.0 along with some improved features.
Here's the whole thing:

http://www.align.com.tw/alignhtml/3gx_update/3gx_update.php

3GX V4.0 Improvements on Flight Modes

Improved collective pitch to elevator compensation function to stabilize helicopter attitude during rapid up/down movement of collective pitch, and to maintain consistent stability during fast forward flights, rolls, and other maneuvers.
Reinforce stability during fast collective pitch movements. When fast collective pitch command is executed, the helicopter's attitude is stabilized.
Improved helicopter swashplate control smoothness, creating smoother control response and improved stability, resulting a dramatic overall control feel.
Improved tail holding performance; Better consistency in pirouetting speed and better locking effect.
Improved better compatibility for different helicopter sizes large to small; More consistent control feel from 250 size to 800 size helicopters.
Improved helicopter swashplate movement stabilization; A more solid, stable feel at the stopping point after concluding rolling or maneuver pauses.
Added support for Spektrum DSMX satellites.

3GX V4.0 Improvements on Flight Modes

Brand new redesigned 3GX represents a new generation of multi function flybarless system. The dramatically improved performance will create immediate impact on any enthusiasts.
3GX is currently the smallest and lightest flybarless system on the market. Two ports to directly connect Spektrum and JR satellite receivers, along with full support of Futaba's S-BUS system.
Based on the 3G FL760 manual setup process, the 3GX can be setup in a few minutes through a simple process. In addition, the 3GX can support all of the CCPM swashplate system currently on the market including 90, 120, 135, and 140 degrees swashplates.
Graphical illustrated instruction on the computer setup software directs the user through a step by step setup process, allowing for quick setups without omitting any steps.
Support Bluetooth connectivity. With the soon to be released Bluetooth connectivity kit, 3GX can be programmed wirelessly from a PC. Eventually there will also be smartphone apps allowing live adjustments to 3GX without powering down.
With 3GX's built in Align RCE-G600 governor function, no external governor is needed to reduce electronic wire clutters.
Custom parameters have been opened up in 3GX to allow pilots to fine tune numerous settings for swashplate and rudder. Settings export feature allows custom settings to be shared amongst friends.
3GX utilizes brand new gyroscope sensors of the highest specifications when compared to other flybarless systems currently on the market, allowing it to be used under harsh conditions. Dual axis plus rudder sensor dramatically improves swashplate and rudder correction precision compared to last generation 3G. This is clearly noticeable in stable hover as well as highly aerobatic routines.
Suitable for helicopter of all class from 250 to 800, glow engine or electric powered. The superior vibration resistant characteristic is evident even when mounted with harder double sided mounting tape.
3GX utilizes 16 bit processor which is 4 times faster than previous generation, along with a completely re-written firmware. The result is a dramatic stability improvement from previous generation, with stability that rivals a flybarred helicopter, yet posses explosive agility.
With built in pirouette compensation function, 3GX is able to stabilize the helicopter on a fixed point during pirouetting maneuvers. Pirouetting flips type of maneuvers are easily accomplished with precision.
3GX's rudder allows consistent rudder feel even under high speed conditions. This excellent control feel will allow pilot of all skill levels to experience the perfect integration between 3GX and helicopter.
Support with APS gyro system and bring up more functions for your helicopter. With the APS gyro, the helicopter will have the ability to self stabilize, hold position as well as altitude, and even autonomous way point flights as well as return home.

Tony

Staff member
So far, most of what I'm reading on the 3GX V4.0 is all positive. Stable on the ground and even more stable in the air is the reports that I'm getting. For this reason, i have added V4.0 to the download list in the Articles section under 3GX on the left side of the page.

when you install V4.0, Uninstall whatever version you have on the computer FIRST! Then restart your computer. From what I'm reading, there are different drivers being installed vs the earlier versions. Once you restart your computer, install V4.0 from the .zip file (after you unzip it) and restart your computer again just to be safe. From there, you should be able to update the firmware in the gyro as you would any other firmware.

If you install this firmware before I do (hoping to do it this weekend if I can find the time to finish the build), let me know what you think of it.

Dirk

Thanks for the link Tony. I am going to flash the new software this afternoon. I will keep you guys up to speed.

flysolo

I tried it on the 450. The upgrade went well and I was gonna do a rebind. No luck, 3gx completely dead. Tried all the tricks but nothing, finally i moved the sat to port2 and that did it.

On the field everything was nice, I'm not good enough too make judgment on the new version but it felt fine to me.

Tony

Staff member
Actually, being a beginner helps me understand it even more. Experienced pilots know how to get a squirrely gyro off the ground, new pilots don't. This tells me it's stable on the ground, that is fantastic! Not sure what went on with the Sat port though. Glad it's working out for you.

flysolo

Only did 4 pcks but on one take off I had some swash movement now that I think of it. I had to compansate or it would have tipped over, then it stabilized and I could take off. Could have been anything including user error but I usually don't have any problems with take offs. Not with the 550 on 3.0 or the 450 on 3.1

Dirk

I flew my 450 with the new version 4.0 software over the weekend. Very nice! No funny stuff happened at all. It is very stable.

The only thing that I did notice after the upgrade is that the rudder returns to neutral (on the ground) in heading hold mode after moving it as it does when in the other mode, can't remember now what you call it.

I was a little apprehensive on the first spool up, but it went fine.

Tony

Staff member
Rate Mode is the name you were looking for.

That is very interesting. I like that it centers it's self now. I'm really going to have to update my gyro and do some testing on it.

Dirk

Thanks Tony. Ahh, rate mode it is! Really hit a blank there. Must be all the painkillers. Toothache from hell.

Slobberdog

Yes Tony, would love you to do some testing, got mine set up nice at the moment so not going to mess until I hear that is all good,

Top Bottom