450 3GX not working

yardner

My 3GX is gone bad, i think? i worked with and finally broke down and took it to the LHS that i bought it at (t-rex 450 pro v2) and they said, yep it looks like it may be bad.
They said to contact align and see if they could help me. they gave me an e mail address and a contact name. alignrcusa.com, sent a e-mail and waiting for a reply.
Anyway i'm attaching a video hoping that someone may have any ideas on whats its doing.

thanks

yardner - texas

Last edited by a moderator:

yardner

reacts like it should left is left, right is right, up/down is up/down

we did notice that there is very little travel in the servos when reacting to the gyro, you might be able to see that in the video.

Westy

LEGEND
tried re binding and re calibrating? - Could have been a small surge of current when you connected up and it has mucked up the calibration settings.

Last edited:

stokke

Flashing the 3GX is a very good idea. But if that don't work, you might start by investigating the short range of travel. Check your Tx travel, then check the travel while in DIR mode. If the travel increases while in DIR mode, try and redo the DIR setup.

Also you might check that it is possible to manually move the servo arms their full travel (remember; don't force the servos - when they stop, they stop).

yardner

re binding? mmm, no i haven't tried that.
re calibrating? do you mean to do another set up mode? or were you talking about something else.

and hey, i went to ( alignrcusa.com) and that brings you to Assurance RC Dist. and sent a message on the contact section. still have Not heard anything.
is that the Align rep for the US ?

thanks for your response

yardner

- - - Updated - - -

re flashing, OH man. i was afraid someone was going to tell me to try that!
sorry but i'm a noob and i have never hooked the 3GX up to the laptop.
i have loaded the Op System up, and looked at it, but have never connected the 3GX up to it.
but i guess got nothing to loose now.

- - - Updated - - -

stokke, thanks for the reply

yes, i'm pretty sure everything is right on the Tx, one reason i took it up to the LHS.
thats the first thing they took out of my hands and looked at.:welcoming:
the servos do work properly, travel, movement and set at 90 degree. have taken them off a couple of times thinking that i had a servo problem or a wiring problem.
in Dir mode it seems to be OK, the swash is level and servo movement it good. just when i set up and turn on the gyro mode is does not work/gets twitchy.

Tony

Staff member
In that video, your gyro direction is backwards on the 3GX. Have a look at my latest video. Follow along and set the gyro up and you wil be good to go. It's tipping over on take off because the heli is sensing it tipping (say to the right) and it's trying to correct in the same direction rather than countering it.

3GX Setup Part 1 Complete Initial Gyro Setup

Tony

Staff member
Were you in DIR when posting this? Or were you in the aileron reverse menu? Because it seems like you didn't have any elevator correction. Where are your pots located on the gyro?

yardner

Tony, thanks for the help....

yes it was reversed in the video, did notice it after the post. but what its doing is reversing after u unplug it and plug it back in.
but the video does show how twitchy it is, and the limited movement the servos are doing.

i just did an update on the firmware and it did stop the twitchy/glitchy movement of the servos, but there is still ever so small/limited movement in the servos that i dont think i've noticed before.

the video was shot when it was in normal mode / 3gx gyro on??? not in Dir mode.

thanks for the link to you video. i will do as you say and follow it and let y'all no what happens. it will also go to is own little bookmark with a few other videos of yours.

thanks,

yardner - texas

Tony

Staff member
Make sure when you are in DIR mode that you go all the way through the lights and let the gyro reinitialize it's self. If you just go to aileron reverse (for example), set it and then unplug the battery, it will nto save the settings. There have also been times when you have to do it a couple times before it will take.

As for the twitchyness of the servos, that is completely normal for a 3 axis gyro. It's sensing a quick movement like a strong gust of wind and it's trying to correct as fast as it can. To reduce this, turn yoru pots down.

If you updated to 3.0, make sure to hook the gyro up to your computer and set the pots at 110 according to the software. Don't trust what the pots say on 3.0.

I will have some 3.0 videos here shortly once I get this heli back together. Right now I'm trying to iron out other issues that are holding me back. Let me know if I can help any further. I should be on all night.

yardner

Ok, i watched Tony's new 3GX setup video and everything went well.
but still when i plug it in and go into flight mode the servos barely move.
when in the set up mode and you hit the set button to check the swash movement, it moves, it moves a LOT. the swash that is.
but as you can see in the video the swash does not have very much movement in it.
as you can see at the end of the video the swash does move when i move the controls on the tx.
does that look normal??? i mean i'm not scared, i'll but some blades on it and see if it will spool up. but was just wanting to get some of y'all thoughts.

sorry for the crappy video too, tried to edit it a little but its late and i just gave up. so please bare with me.
[video=youtube_share;cEfin3eweKM]http://youtu.be/cEfin3eweKM[/video]

thanks

yardner - texas

Tony

Staff member
Where are your pots at on the gyro for the ail/ele gain? Did you adjust them to 110 in the software?

yardner

OK, i just looked and the 3GX control panel says that its firmware 2.1
i'm trying to download the 3.0 version now.

wish me luck......

Westy

LEGEND
what are your swash ELE and AIL percentages ???? perhaps they are too low.

they should be 50 - 60 percent to start and alter from there.

Tony

Staff member
On the 3.0 firmware, from what I have read, they should be at 110 in the computer program. I think Gaba has a writeup on this where he goes into detail on it.

yardner

westy

ELE and AIL are set at 60 %

thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Tony thanks, yes i did read Gaba's thread on the 3.0 but will find it and read it again.

Westy

LEGEND
Good .... ok ... so when you actually move your Cyclic you only get stuff all movement? ... or is it only when you move the heli and the Gyro is compensating?

Graham Lawrie

I had a similar problem with my 450 Pro 3GX V2 , and it was doing the same as yours, some of my vidoes show the same thing, tipping over. Mine turned out that i was doing the DIR set up wrong, it took me 3 or 4 attempts at going through the set up right through to the tail set up. Also my gyro was reversed. If you look at Lee,s posting on tail set up it shows the way the tail should react, when you push it right or left. I have a DX6i and if you change the settings so the tail reacts at the least movement you will be able to follow Lee,s guide. :)

Top Bottom