450 3GX Newbie and a few questions

trainrider06

Hi it sounds like the pitch range is wrong in hold mode? , hold needs to match normal flight mode

Just for my own interest holtneil, buy what you mean is in the pitch settings? That it has to mirror your pitch settings like that are in normal 1, and 2 linear?

n8lbv

Just for my own interest holtneil, buy what you mean is in the pitch settings? That it has to mirror your pitch settings like that are in normal 1, and 2 linear?

NO.
I wouldn't even be posting here if I had an issue with my pitch curve settings for hold mode.
Also we are past that now I went over my entire setup0 all over again..
I am flying, but am left with the problem of Gain settings on the 3GX...
They are both set all the way up maxed out and it's still flying like they are set too low.
when I hold the heli in my hand and twist it the corrections feel weak.. nothing like I am used to on the BeastX..

This makes no sense... if the gains are all the way up it should be shaking and oscillating etc... because the gains would b set to high.

I'm also getting SOOOO much noise about the 3GX that it works great for some people and the love it and it just sucks and can't be used for others..
That just makes no sense..
I'm willing to work with it but I need some real data.

Is Align making good ones and totally bad defective ones?
And for Pete's Sake... this is ALIGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Supposed to be a good and trusted product!!!!!!
Is not ANYONE holding their feet to the fire if they made a bad product?
I spent TWO YEARS Yelling at CopterX/Ehirobo because they made a bad & defective FBL product.
Which they took my $50 for and never fixed or got the firmware flyable.

- - - Updated - - -

After the crash, I did the mechanical repairs.
Went to go fly and suddenly the pitch was backwards, across the board.
Pitch setting on cyclic in TX was backwards.
For not explainable reason.
I just had to reverse it in the TX.
I have NO idea how it got switched seemingly on it's own.
I suspected *maybe* a software glitch in the TX.. and *maybe* it toggled during my auto.
The entire auto was going fine pitch was working correctly in hold mode did other autos and6-7 flights before this..
Just as I was landing (auto sw flipped 8-10 seconds before this it suddenly slammed down hard.
My TH curve is 0-25-50-75-100 and verified good on a pitch gage.
+ I did other autos before and plenty of inverted flight.

murankar

Staff member
As for align yes they make great airframes and that's about it. If the heli is still feeling mushy with gains all the way up, replace the cyclic servos to something better. Try KST DS215mg servos on the whole kit. Then agjust bec voltage to 7.# volts or even max at 8.4v.

Sounding like the servos your using are petering out. I also would suggest that you move on to a better gyro. I feel your going to continue to have issues with your setup on that. A Kbar is better than 3gx.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

trainrider06

KBar! As I said those 3Gx systems sound too hit or miss to me, I'd spend the 25-30 bucks and end the frustration and get to flying and enjoying the chopper again!

holtneil

Hi I would go for the Kbar too my 500 Cobra and 500 Pro DFC are both on Kbar , getting back to the 3GX if you have v5 firmware reflash with 3.1 its not super stable on the ground but really great flying , both of my 3gx gyros had different problems with v5 , one had a major tail kick once or twice a flight , the other the settings changed and would not fly right and it tipped the heli over just before take off , snapped the 500 in to 2
So they got removed and Kbars fitted never had a bad flight on them , you can fire the heli up and know what its going to do every flight

n8lbv

Thanks guys..
Not wanting to put 3.1 on either and have to deal with tip-overs.
I was under the understanding (from the videos) and from it being a name brand (Align) that it was a decent FBL.
Now everyone is saying to get a KBAR.
I will get a KBAR but want to be sure the problem is the 3GX and not *me* first.
You mean NOBODY had hel Align's feet to the fire over the quality or problems with this product and they have not made it right since 2012? OR 2011 whenever it came out??

I already am running some good fast digital servos: OMG LDT013015C
ON a separate 6V BEC.

Speed (s/60°@4.8V/6.0V)

0.10/ 0.08

Torque oz./in. (4.8V/6.0V)

27.7/33.3

Torque kg./cm. (4.8V/6.0V)

2.0/2.4

Thanks!!
Steve

- - - Updated - - -

I've had it with this crap.
Had it flying nice (again) got everything pretty good and upped the headspeed just a little and it went crazy unstable.
nicked two blade tips, might have bent a feathering shaft.
Never EVER had any crap like this on a BeastX same airframe & parts.

I expected better from Align.
And I expected that in all this time Align customers would have done something to make Align get it better than this.
Not just tuck their tails in take a loss and buy a KBAR or some other FBL.
If it were a new product and if they were not given to me from a buddy just because he didn't want to mess with the "complicated setup"
I'd be going bananas all over Align and their fans, provided the problem really is in this product and not something I'm doing wrong..

I can tell something is VERY wrong that I have the gains all the way up and I'm not getting that much gain.

murankar

Staff member
That wasn't the issue. Align has always been a one stop shop for a combo kit. They out sourced the servos to Savox and I am sure the motors and escs were out sourced also. As for the 3gx, it was an in house deal I am sure. They could never get that gyro working right. Every update fixed old issues and created new issues. They finally revamped the 3gx to the new 3g. Its one area that they could not get.

Most of aligns air frames were other peoples designs with their improvements on them. The dominator was supposed to be their design and in the end it appears they took those designs also and made their own changes to them.

Align has always had had quality parts. At one time they led the pack. Now they seem to be struggling to keep up with the likes of sab, kds Gaui and synergy to name a few. One thing still holds true, its very common man friendly.

trainrider06

Your right man, but it's just like Walkera and their flaky ESC, and servo's on some of their helis, Blade, all of em have little things that seem to be either half ass, or one every few glitches with them.
Best thing you can do is say your peice, get it out, and get something that does/is proven to work!
No sense letting it get you in a rip to where it ruins your day. If I were you yep I would calmly give them what for demand to speak to higher up, (maybe get at least some compensation from them)
Then advise, don't rant....advise anyone and everyone you can of your experience with it (because remember there are always defenders that have not had issue with em) just warn people and leave it at that....the only thing that matters to most of these companies anyway is sales and money in their pockets!
That's where they pay attention, warn enough people maybe enough people don't buy their controller....then they will pay attention. Other than that, say your peice to em let it go enjoy tour heli with another FBL controller.
Just my advise...

Tony

Staff member
All of the issues was the reason I created the videos. To try and help people get this gyro in the air. At the time, the other gyro's out there were crazy expensive and the 3GX was a viable alternative. However now, there are so many options out there, including the $115 AR7300BX (at least it was).

I have been thinking about this thread and others pretty much all week and I think it's time to put up some annotations on the 3GX videos as well as a new video stating I suggest going to another gyro. I get sick to my stomach every time I hear about someone crashing their helicopter because of this gyro. I think it's time for people to move on from teh 3GX and move to at least the GPro (which I can't suggest because I have not tested one).

Sorry to hear about your issues.

n8lbv

K-Bar going in..
It's been a few days and nobody has spoken up as to why I'm getting low gain with the gains all the way up.
I asked that specifically on a few other forums.
NO answer...
Closed I had was someone saying to get different servos.
Uh, no- That's not the issue and I will not be going on that goose chase.
And get a K-bar is the universal response I'm getting everywhere.

Tony

Staff member
The only thing I can think about the gains is the pots are bad on teh gyro, or the firmware is a little flakey. If you are running 5, and you want one more change, try putting 4 in there. It has tail issues, but gets in teh air (most of the time, it has tail issues, but some have had luck). I can't suggest the kbar since it's a clone but will suggest any of the BX's, Ikon, Vbar Or the Mikkado (I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head). I myself ONLY run BX's and Ikons.

murankar

Staff member
Vortex, skookum, Bavarian demon. That should cover the major brands. Vbar has a new gyro out called Neo. Its replacing the Vbar and has more options than the vbar standard. I am looking at getting a neo myself next year.

The only reason I am on a kbar is because I just got back to work after a 3 month break. Funds were tight and a $224 gyro was not in the cards. Glad I waited because the neo is supposed to be even better.

n8lbv

Thanks guys for ALL of the information and experience!
It means a whole lot to me and I'm walking away from this gyro a lot faster and well informed.
I'm also hesitant to using a clone as well and am even considering the Tarot ZYX-S for that reason.
However I'm afraid to get caught up in FBL Hell once again with another cheap non-working one.
My first FBL experience was a VERY bad one..
I spent TWO YEARS and 27 emails back & forth with EHirobo off & on trying to get an utter piece of crap to fly
and it never did. People told me it was my servos, my home made FBL head design, this, that anything & everything except the gyro.
So I flew Flybars for two years until I got my first AR7200BX.. which flew perfect on my 450 airframe.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1792012

murankar

Staff member
The zyx-s does work, but it takes so working to get it right. Its not as out of the box for a new person to handle. Don't take it the wrong way. It does fly and it flies great. Just keep in mind that it does take a little work.

I have one and want to try it again. This time with more knowledge.

trainrider06

My favorite FBL controller is the AR7200BX for 2 reasons 1. It's name brand 2. Remote adjustability
(I don't have to hook up to a computer)
My second favorite...the KBar, for two reasons.
1. It flies just as good as a BeastX, and probably any other FBL controller,
2. It's cost

It's just as adjustable and even more as any other controller and like the others you can dial it in remotely
using Bluetooth.
I have yet to see any problem glitch in either of these controllers.

holtneil

HI mate , your servos are good ,the 3GX is now being replace by align they have now made the 3GX MR and the Gpro on the dominator , but only time will tell if this is any good the MR is only for up to 450 if I remember right.
Both my 3GX units would not work right, the only time they were better was on 3.1 , This is why I got the Kbar gyros on both and I trust this cheap clone gyro to a scale helicopter thats in the £1200 price range, would never trust that to the 3GX , If you go for the Kbar you will not be sorry it is one of the nicest gyro to work with ,very easy to set up and like in my video I can hands off hover in wind
There are newier Kbar the latest is the Pro I will give you a e bay link this has the second sensor if you want this set up
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K-BAR-PRO...319?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d51533207
The one that is on both my 500s is this one if you do get the Kbar let me know and I will give you the links for the software to use
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K-BAR-5-3...971?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1ea084ab03

n8lbv

I had a ZYX flying perfectly on an ESKY Belt CP V2 wit hmy own hand made FBL head.
It had stock very cheap plastic gear digital servos on it.
Got a few good flights until one of the servos gave out..
Completely Redid the Heli with HS65B servos.
And it never ever flew right again, can hover but nothing else..
It is setup correctly everything looks great on the bench but if you try to piroette anything other than extrememly slowly it tries agressively to nose-dive into the ground and you have to be fast
to save it.
Tried everything spent weeks and then one person (who I trust) tells me on a forum that he problem is that they are analog servos and that the ZYX does not play well with analog servos..
Even thought the manual and setup specify analog servos and have all kinds of settings for analog servos.
Frustrating indeed!
I prefer a FBL that needs some tuning and that I can actually learn something on.
Just tired of stuff that does not work. I'm usually left wondering if it's a bad product or if I'm doing something wrong..
Even though I'm completely comfortable with all the electronics, setup programming and have been reading and watching videos all about P I D gains etc. for almost 3 years now..

Everyone tells me just to check a million different things but can;t be the gyro usually.

However I get that stupid BeastX and it jsut flys fine nomatter what problems and defects I throw at it..
I've flown it with:

Mismatched blades
Off balance blades with a small chunk or two blown out of them from ground/rock strikes.
Bent feathering shafts (spindle).
Analog servos
mismatched servos.
CG severely off. etc... you name it still flyable, not trying to kill itself.

- - - Updated - - -

ZYX-S I mean.

trainrider06

Well you know what to do then, if money is not the problem get a BeastX or other proven FBl controller
Stop wasting time and frustration with this 3GX.
I know it sux, but the goal is a good flying heli and having fun.
A final point, don't discount that KBar, it won't be a waste of money!
:)

n8lbv

At the same time I have a strong desire to tweak tune & learn.
I don't need it to fly out of the box with no work.
I just need it to actually work if I set it up right.
Not keep trying to destroy itself.
I think I spent reasonable time and put forth significant efforts into the 3GX, and took it one step at a time.
Gains are cranked all the way up and it's weak and not enough gain.
I don;pt understand unless that's truly just version 5 firmware and it truly is useless on a 450.

holtneil

Hi mate get the Kbar the xyzs is a clone i had one and the only way i could get it to work was to mount up side down , if you buy a Kbar and it does not work i will post you a xyzs for free

Top Bottom