450 3GX Newbie and a few questions

n8lbv

Am looking for any suggestions/recommendations on the 3GX itself.

I'm flying my first 3GX 5.0 firmware on a CHEAP HK450 with $12 FBL conversion kit.
3S 2200 separate 2S 7.4V battery and BEC for RX and FBL+ servos.
50AMP ESC HK helidrive 3600K/V and 12 tooth pinion.
All digital MG servos (OMG) 450 size.
Spektrum conventional 6 channel RX and DX9 TX.

Just to get started I studied and followed the RCHelp videos carefully and was very confident in setting up my first 3GX Thank You for the videos.

Maiden flight was certainly not anything like my BeastX out-of-the-the-box experience.

First problem was it did not want to keep the swash level taking off from grass.. the swash was pulling all the way over to the left and I could not center it.

Put in on the pavement and was able to manage it just fine and take off.

I later resolved this issue by getting rid of some of the negative pitch in normal mode.. it didn't seem to agree with that at all as it was probably pushing itself into the grass on spoolup.

I'm full throttle at 50% stick just before lifting off with positive pitch.
I usually fly with full negative pitch available even in normal mode
for more control.. I also usually use about 65% max throttle in "normal" flight mode along with same full pitch range as stunt modes.

It was certainly flyable but felt very "pitchy".
reminded me of flying flybarless WITHOUT a gyro of any kind only a tail gyro. I've done this many times for testing.

Here comes my first question:

In the software looking for cyclic gain settings I found that the elev. and ail have two different names...
I have:
Aileron Sensitivity
and Elevator Gain.

But not individual gain for ail and elev.

Is this just a typo? when they should both be called "gain"

ALso they do not seem to be settable in software but seem to be controlled by pots..

I started out with BOTH set at 117 which I thought was "high"..

after a couple test flights (extremely pitchy) it over pitches...
on ail or elev.

I ended up turning the pots "way up". I've not check in the software to see what the numbers are yet..

EDIT>
Just checked:
Ail sensitivity: 137
ELE. Gain: 196 (yikes all the way up!)
Correction "feels" about the same when you move the heli by hand sitting idle.
And not as 'strong' or gressive as the corrections on a BeastX same heli/servos.

And I also set flight mode parameter 1 (elev and ail) to "2 lights" instead of 4 lights.

This seemed to help it a LOT..
Was very flyable did some 3D plenty of inverted and simple piro stuff.

Piro comp was good and tail is rock solid.
No tail complaints at all, I can speed it up a bit later a little slow for my taste but it's at default. tail gain is set at 75 out of 100 (on my tx) in head lock mode.
That worked out of the box.

Flying good but still a bit "pitchy".

So really just curious what your experiences may be and what you have done to get what you want.

Bummer I crashed it on my 6th or 7th flight..
Took it up to 300ft and hit throttle hold..

was setup doing a perfect auto and just before I went to flare it
it pitched down just a bit and slammed into the ground really hard..
Seemingly on it's own I have no idea why and it seemed fully incontrol for the previous flights until this.

Not sure if it's just because of the pitchyness or if there was a failure.

It was a HARD slam... Only damage, bent feathering shaft and a bent tail boom and a bent pitch link.

SO to sum up my questions:

1. like to hear your experiences especially around "too much pitchiness" a little floppy on starts & stops.

2. Cyclic gains elev and ail..
where do you have them set on a 450? and can you only set them
with the pots on top the unit? or is there a way to do it in software?
I was only able to see it change in software by turning the pots.
b. One is called gain and the other is called sensitivity...
don't have gain or sensitivity for both axis

Tony

Staff member
First question,

If it's too pitchy, you can go into the flight modes and soften up the collective. If you have not seen my videos on how to set flight modes in the computer as well as on the gyro, check out the link below. I'm sure you have watched them though. My suggestion would be take the Collective Pitch Dampening and raise it to about 40 and see how you like it. I say 40 since you are doing flips and such. For beginner pilots, and in the video, I state something like 75. Makes it really soft. And make sure both of the accelerations are at 0. This is in flight mode parameter 2 in the computer software.

Second question,

I would say it's a typo, but it's been that way since day one. And you are right, they are not settable in the program, only by the pots. My suggestion, set them at 105 in the program. That is where I set mine and it's pretty good.

And just a side note, the 3GX is pretty much dead now that the GPro has come out. As you know, the BX is a much better gyro but if you are like me, you like playing with things. Hope this answers your questions. If not, let me know what else I can help with.

Here are the link to the 3GX section of the forum.

http://www.rc-help.com/content.php?360-3gx-how-to

n8lbv

Thanks!!
Your videos are fabulous!!

Also I might need to clarify, or I may be using a really confusing term when I say "pitchy".

The collective is just fine/wonderful..
It's pitchy or a bit problematic on cyclic activity.
Pitch & roll seem very touchy, not the collective or the climb.

I will watch the videos again and try some more stuff.

If felt really "flippy floppy" when I had both ail and ele (setting #1 in flight modes) 3-4 lights.
then I cranked the gains up (pots) and it seemed better.
Then went back and put setting #1 in flight modes to 2 leds.
Seemed better yet but still not really good.

I'll try what you suggest and keep playing.

I have all accel setting set to zero.

Actual roll rate itself seems comfortable not too fast or anything.
ELe and ail may be tending to overshoot and not stop hard.
Just feels like weak gains.
I can easily compare it to what a flybarless heli feels like whe NO FBL or gains set to zero.
It feels like that!

And especially when I first started out... at that point my gains were (pots set) to both 117.
And the flight modes param #1 was set to 3.5 LEDs

- - - Updated - - -

Also not sure if this helps any but what I am used to flying is a 450X with BeastX set to transmitter mode and absolutely NO expo or slowed down rates.
Actually using spektrum and have travel on rud ele and ail set to +-130% to get even faster roll rates than I was getting with 100% on the BeastX.

I also fly a number of flybarred 450 machines.
So I guess it's not exactly that the roll rates are too fast on the 3GX, it's something elese and I don't quite understand how to explain it other than it reminds me of flying flybarless with NO electronic stabilization but not that extreme, half-way there.

Tony

Staff member
Okay, with that said, dont' worry about the collective dampening, rather adjust the cyclic dampening to about 40. And again, make sure your acceleration is sitting at 0. Keep me posted on how it's going.

Oh, and I'm not sure if you have done autos before on a 450, but they don't much like it. There is just not enough weight in teh head of the helicopter to keep the blades spinning where you can flair like you need to. It's doable but difficult

n8lbv

Haha! :)
Thanks for asking and also thanks so much for the help!
I do autos on 450's constantly.
This was the first failed auto I have had in about a year and 200 flights or so :)

Here's a couple of my recent 450 autos.

You'll need to click on the gear (to get HD in youtube) and go full screen to really see much.

Cheers!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
Ah, right on. I'm used to helping out people who don't have much flying time under their belts. Some good flying though. I like the "he should fly upright" comment in the first video lol.

n8lbv

Thanks Tony! I'm still relatively new at it (2.5 years) love it so much I had to learn!
And I'm almost 50! So a bit of a slow le

- - - Updated - - -

-arner.

holtneil

HI mate amazing flying I am 54 and cant fly like that so your well top of the game , if the 450 is the biggest heli you have go buy a 500 OMG your fly the blades of it by what I have seen in the videos

trainrider06

Your a lot better than me, I started messing with heli's 2 years ago I can still get a little shaky at times.
Mainly it's being able to clearly see the heli, and I think some of that has to do with feel and confidence
and just knowing where the heli is by feel....
I didn't pick up the hobby myself until I was 52.

n8lbv

Thanks guys it did not come easy at all and I always wondered for a LONG time if I would ever be able to fly.
I STILL get nervous and shakey when I fly sol that means I need to do a lot more.
The nervousness is not nearly as bad as it used to be.
:) I do have a Blade 5003D :) It's HUGE and autos better than a 450!

I also have a Goblin 630 (kit) I'll be building shortly!

- - - Updated - - -

::frustrated::

SO I did the mechanical repairs on the HK450 with 3GX and set the cyclic gains down a bit.
Go to take off an the collective is completely reversed!!!
I don't get it.
I know I'm not going crazy, but there's just NO WAY that could just happen on it's own like that.
You have to change THREE settings/directions in the TX to get that to happen like that.
And the guys on the forums will just tell me I'm crazy If I even think of blaming it on a bug in my DX9 transmitter.
*sigh*.

So didn't fly it today and don;t have time to mess with the TX today either :(

I don;t understand how it's even possible this could have happened... it was setup & flying fine...
Until I tried that auto... Possible software bug in the DX9.. because it sure acted like the collective suddenly flipped reverse when did that last auto..

It was fine for most of the auto until I tried to flare for landing, then the opposite of expected happened, it SLAMMED into the ground.

Now ALL THREE swashplate settings are suddenly backwards in the TX.

n8lbv

Yeah, temporary irritation/mystery/fluke.

Would certainly explain the auto went wrong just when I had it flying pretty good.
The whole world will argue me that there's not way it went wrong by itself in the TX.
From now on I'm going to take photos of my setup screens for my own sanity.
I've had this happen once or twice before.. with a DX6i.
No explanation other than I was going nuts.

n8lbv

OK so I went through the ENTIRE setup all over again, TX and all double checked mechanical centering, First flight checked blade tracking all good.
Postitive & negative perfectly centered, swash centered.
First flight was terrible tippy and very unstable.. If I let off the controls it wanted to roll to the right on it's own..
It felt VERY weak on the cyclic gain and again what I am used to feeling if I fly flybarless with only a tail gyro..

This was with both "Aileron Sensitivity and Elevator Gain BOTH set to 135.

Tried turning them up again, Now Aileron Sensitivity is as high as it will go and displays "179" in software cranked all the way up.
Elevator gain will go all the ay up to 200.. but I set it at "195".

Now it flys just like I had it before MUCH MUCH better but still not right or anything compared to BeastX.. still has the loose low gain tendencies but they are suppressed a lot
and the heli is flyable and in control both upright and inverted.
The tail lock is PERFECT and does exactly what I tell it to do.
What I also 'don't get' is with the gains all the way up as they are in this case.. normally with any other FBL you'd get shakes and oscillations because the gain is too high..
I'd also expect shakes or wiggles on hard stops... but they are not there... It's really flying like the gains are still low and could use to be set a bit higher.

I also made sure to use the 450 and below mode not the bigger heli mode on setup.

Any thoughts & suggestions?

The videos seemed to suggest this thing will fly "just as good" as a BeastX.
is this true? what am I lacking?
I'm also on good quality digital servos and setup properly for them.

Thanks!!
Steve

holtneil

HI mate I will second that I have 4 x3gx units sitting in a draw as I cant trust them any more ,just buy a Kbar they are super stable easy to set up and cheap , I have one in my £1200 Cobra and it has never let me down , just dont update it as its a clone it comes with the latest firmware on it , take a look how stable it is here on my 500 pro on top a hill in the wind and I still get a hands off hover
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FNjmKoB1Ck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLFvC3Iu6Bw

Last edited:

trainrider06

I am wondering, you said it reversed pitch on you on 2 different radios while doing auto rotate??
Was this with the 3GX system??

Top Bottom