General 3gx and binding issues

Tony

Staff member
First rule when it comes to helicopters, there is no such thing as "ready to fly". Every helicopter will always need work of some kind. Be it thread locking the screws on the bird, or setting proper gear mesh or setting up the governor, the list goes on. And that is where we come into play. No matter the question, all you have to do is ask.

With all of this said though, I had the 3GX on my 600 when the members and I got together to build it. There were harsh scrapes on the blade tips where it wanted to tip over on take off. This is very common with the 3GX. I tried, and eventually was successful with getting the 3GX in the air with the 600 Nitro, but I didn't trust it. I ended up putting an AR7200BX on it and now it has an Ikon on it. Both of which are very good gyros that are still in production, unlike the 3GX which will never receive another update. In fact, I'm running 2.1 on my 450 and it seems to be doing well even though 5 is the latest version.

Do yourself a favor, get one of those two gyros if you want to learn how to fly. And some good training gear. If you are dead set on making the 3GX work, I will help you out in any way I can with a setup that is very doscile but just remember, that gyro can and usually will freak out at some point for one reason or another.

Post questions, we are always here to help.

Smoggie

Jason,

That shop did you no favours. The Trex 600 Nitro is a heli for advanced level flyers. If you have no RC experience then you have almost zero chance of getting it safely in the air. The only way to have a chance with that heli is by joining a club or finding an experienced flyer to give you some coaching. RC helis really are quite hard to master but VERy easy to crash.

As Tony points out, due to a unique 'quirk' of the 3GX if you are using Spektrum satellite receivers (which you are because I see them plugged into the side of the 3GX) then you need a seven channel transmitter. Alternatively you need a standard type receiver instead of the satellite receivers... But to be honest the better option would be as Tonty and I suggested and change out the 3GX. If you went for a iKon or a Spirit then they have a self stabilising feature which makes the heli much easier to fly (the 3GX doesnt have that).

Jason McHugh

Thank you Im going to order one of those gyro system is there any other parts that I will need to order with it? Yes I went in there and told them I have no experience flying and they told me that it is one of the easiest heli to fly. What a bunch of scrum bags. The name is Oklahoma RC out of Oklahoma City

Tony

Staff member
As for collective pitch helicopters, it is one of the easiest to fly compared to the Align 150, 450 and the like. Much more stable. But they are still a collective pitch helicopter and very hard to learn. And that is what we are here for, to help you out. Now you just have to make the best of it. Get a simulator like Phoenix. It will save you a LOT of money.

Smoggie

If you go for the iKon or Spirit Pro that's all you need. You can use the satellite receivers that you already have, so no need for a new receiver.

Do you have field equipment for starting the engine?

Jason McHugh

Yes they sold me a starter. I'm on my way to a couple of hobbie shop in the central valley to hopefully get an ikon flybarless system. That will work with my Dx6e or do I still need a 7 channel

Smoggie

If you get the iKon make sure it's the latest 'iKon2', not some old stock of the original iKon.. Not that there is anything wrong with the original one, but you may as well get the latest and greatest version.

6 channels is enough for the iKon.

PS.. you will need to be able to connect the RPM sensor into the ikon to get the governor to work. I'm not sure if the plug that the ikon uses is the same as the one the 3GX uses. Shouldn't be a show stopper, you can maybe query this with the hobby-shop when you get the iKon and see if a different lead is required.

Jason McHugh

Thank you smoggie. I can't thank you and Tony enough for being patient with me. Thanks again. I'll be letting you know how everything goes thanks again.

Smoggie

Keep us informed on progress. You will have LOTS of questions when it comes to installing and setting up the new flybarless controller, dont be afraid to ask. The good thing is that the iKon will be a lot easier than the 3GX.. Tony is the best man for the iKon though as I've not used one.

Tony

Staff member
If you want to run a governor off of the Ikon, you would need a 7 channel Tx. Aux2 is where the governor setting is. If you want to use the one that is in the ESC (if this bird is electric, not sure if it is nitro or electric lol. Let us know) then you can get away with a 6 channel Tx. But a nice DX9 is always better hahahahaha.

Tony

Staff member
It has been a while, so I"m hoping steve can step in here and correct me if I'm wrong about this. But on the Ikon, I can't remember if there is a way to set the governor gain inside the gyro or if you have to do it on the Tx. Man I need to get out of this truck and start playing around more lol. I miss it now that I can't do it lol.

And a governor will set your head speed. If the head starts to bog down, it will automatically add power to the engine and try to keep the head speed where it needs to be. And the reverse is true too. If the head starts to over speed, it will set the engine to idle to lower the head speed. Generally you don't really need a governor when just starting out with nitro. I didn't use one and just used a V curve for the engine. But once I started using a governor (my 600 nitro has the Ikon on it), it was night and day on how it performed.

And the DX7 is a fantastic Tx. If you can find a DX8 G2 for a good price, you will not have to upgrade for a very long time. I have the DX9 and there is nothing I can't do with it. Even when I had the DX8 G1, I could do everything I needed to do. It's an investment, like a simulator, that is best to make early in the hobby. Same goes for a charger if/when you get into electrics. But for now, any charger will work to charge the flight pack on a nitro. They last quite a while.

Just for info, I'm running the Align 1900mah 2s pack on my nitro with the Align 2 in 1 for BEC power (Battery eliminator circuit, it powers the gyro, servos and so on. The 2 in 1 has a glow igniter as well) and I love it.

Jason McHugh

The really crappy thing is I've been talking to the owner of the hobbie shop where I bought the heli from and told him the Dx6e won't work with my heli and I can't even get the 3gxto work. He won't even let me return it. So if you or anyone knows anyone that wants a Dx6e I have one to sell. Are there any hobbie shop in so cal that will let me trade it in?

Tony

Staff member
If there are, I'm not sure what they are. Only been in that part of the country once, and I will not be going back in a truck hahaha.

As for the hobby shop where you got this, it is just down the road from the place where I have raced hundreds of times and is where I got started in Rc. Sadly though, they will be closing their doors next month after I think 21 years of business. But I have never been to, nor heard of the place where you got your heli from.

Just keep posting and once you reach 50 posts, post that Tx in the for sale section here. Also post it on craigslist. I'm sure someone out there will be in need of one.

And just a correction, the Tx will work, even with the 3GX, you will just need a separate receiver like the AR6110 I think it is or something of the like. But again, no governor.

Tony

Staff member
As long as it is the Brain2, then yes, they are exactly the same. Even if it is the first one (I have one of those too lol), it will be leaps and bounds ahead of the 3GX. Post up a link or picture if you have it.

Smoggie

You can get away with 6 channels. Ideally you would want at least 7 but 6 will work. Gains can be set to be adjustable in the iKon/Brain software so not need a channel assigning. You would usually want a channel assigned for bank switching (to turn stability on/off and activate 'rescue) but a cahnnel can be freed up by adjusting tail gain in the FBL rather than from the Tx

Like i said though ideally 7+ channels. The DX7 is discontinued now so the DX8G2 would be the next one up in the Spektrum range.

Top Bottom