General 3gx and binding issues

Jason McHugh

So I just bought a used Trex 600 nitro i also bought a DX6e radio im trying to bind them and it keeps saying bind fail. What am I doing wrong? Also have a 3gx I downloaded the program on my computer. It tells me to install the y connector to the 3g sensor and the 3g controller. I dont know where either of them are. Can you help me. Im a noob and never have piloted anything before. please help! thank you...

Smoggie

To set up the 3GX you need a special 3G USB link to connect it to your PC. If you dont have that then you cant set it up. As the 3GX was discontinued a few years ago but you can still buy the USB link units. They are Align part number HEP3GF02.

To be honest it's more hassle than it's worth, the 3GX tend to be troublesome anyway . You would probably be better buying a new FBL unit. If you are on a tight budget then a full size Kbar would be a good choice and wouldnt cost any more than the Align USB link: Freeshipping 3 Axis Gyro FULL Size KBAR 5.3.4 PRO Flybarless Stabilization System gov support-in Parts & Accessories from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

If you have a bit more to spend a higher spec FBL such as the MSH Brain2 or the Spirit Pro are great options.

Smoggie

If you have the 3G USB link then it's wire connects into the 'data' port in the side of the 3GX unit. The plugs in your first photo look to be the correct type to go into the data port, but you need the 3G USB link 'dongle' to plug into your PC USB socket.

Smoggie

One end of the cable should plug into the USB dongle, the other end needs to connect to the data port on the 3GX.. If you havent got a cable to do that then you need to get one.

Tony

Staff member
I have never seen that wire in my life. Maybe it's one of the newer ones, but the one that I use is just a single short wire that has the large black end like yours that plugs into the dongle and a smaller white end that plugs into the 3GX unit. I'll upload a picture of mine here in a second.

Tony

Staff member
The white plug will plug into the only 4 port plug on the 3GX unit, and the black end plugs into the dongle to the right. Hope this helps.

Tony

Staff member
About your binding issue, are you using only a satellite or are you using a separate Rx?

Tony

Staff member
Hey Jason, that's awesome that you are new to the hobby, and I can assure you there is a lot to learn. Just be patient and you will figure it all out as time goes on.

Onto the issue at hand. Lets start with the binding issue.

Since you have a 6 channel Transmitter (TX) you MUST connect up a standard Rx to the 3GX. The video below will explain connecting up the Receiver (RX) to the 3GX in slight detail. If you need more, just ask and I can try to find my wires and connect one up for you. You have to run a receiver because when you only use satellites, your tail gyro channel is on channel 7, or Aux2 which your DX6 doesn't have. Running a standard Rx allows the tail gyro to be on channel 5, where all others are located. And yes, you have to be able to adjust tail gain otherwise your helicopter will drift all over the place.

As for where to get that dongle, I have no idea who sells this one. You can try looking them up on eBay to see if there are any there. I do have more than one, but I have absolutely no idea where the others are. And I need the one that I have to program my one helicopter with a 3GX on it (maiden last weekend. Because I needed a 3GX helicopter to help others with tech issues lol. The rest of my helicopters are either running the AR7200BX or the most popular in my fleet, the Ikon or Ikon2).

Jason McHugh

Thank you Tony. I really appreciate it. I was in Oklahoma a few days ago and stopped at a hobby shop and bought the T-Rex 600 and told them I had no idea about it and that I was really new and that to give me everything I needed to get it running but I guess they didn't know and I appreciate your help thank you as for I live in California and not too many hobby shops around me

Tony

Staff member
You must live in Northern Cali. Because SoCal has tons of hobby shops lol.

Can I ask where you purchased the helicopter? Might have to go skool them on what is required lol. I'm guessing you don't have a receiver?

Jason McHugh

Oklahoma Hobbies & radio control.. because I don't know anything about helicopters or any remote controls I just wanted to buy something that was ready to fly.

Top Bottom