Quad 250 Quadcopter Complete Build Guide CC3D QAV Blackout Clone

Tony

Staff member
I tried to get a screen shot of the program, but it won't let me unless I have the quad, and I don't have my quad with me at the moment.

Stambo

Looks and sounds to me almost like the gains are too high.
I believe the CC3D has profiles you can load for different configurations and aircraft.

RobT

Thanks for the great video on youtube and the forum here. I bought a hubsan x4 a few months ago, it was my first quad. Great to learn on, lots of new blades became used pretty quick. The main problem, i went through two of them in a few weeks- occasionally a crash would make one of the motors go out, and replacing with new wouldn't fix it, so apparently it was the controller in both cases.

Rather than rebuild the x4's with new boards, i thought it would be better to find out what's going on with the diy aspect, was really surprised to find out how much further things had come from just 2 years ago.

Anyway, to the point, i found this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250mm-Carbo...658?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4192eb0b6a

It looks to be one of the better 250 quad kits in its price range, it comes with everything except battery (no fpv).

This is the one *i think*. But being so new (completely new) to building, i don't know- if i break something, does it need to be replaced with identical parts? i.e. i know the motors & the props are standard size/mounting etc, but if i break an arm, do i need to get the same exact arm? or are the mounting hole configurations standard, so i can buy a different set of arms if the seller stops selling them in 6 months? I know the flight characteristics will change.. I'm guessing that worst case, i can just buy a different knockoff completely and use the rest of the hardware (esc, props, motors, FC, etc etc), is that right?

Also, how do i know which props to get for replacements? I know that there are endless prop specs, some better for stable flight, some for racing/stunts, but for example, the page i listed above says that the quad will take 5" max props, will any 5" prop work, or are there different mount configurations (i think bore size?)?

Thanks!

Rob T.

A

RobT

I also forgot to add- i had been working with mini-t connectors and have lots of those- is there any problem with using them in place of bullet connectors? I like them because they're small, light and really cheap. They're the HK knock offs that you get something like 5 pair for $4 if i remember. I think the HK page says they're rated to 20 amps, that seems ok from what i read so far, but that's one mistake i'd hate to find out about the hard way.

Thanks

RobT

Also, i didn't realise until now- the kit i mentioned comes with the multiwii controller, i was going to ask the seller if it's possible to send it with a cc3d instead- the multiwii seems a lot more involved to configure. It does come with some sensors that the cc3d doesn't, but the whole point is to learn to fly manually, so it shoulnd;t be an issue for me. But i don't know if simply changing out the controller- will it cause other problems- i.e. will the ESC modules still work and plug in ok? Will the motors be ok? Will the controller mount ok to it, being so new, i have no idea, but i've already been there a few times- ordering a wrong part and it takes a LONG time to get replacements from chine:). The seller in this case is in california (according to ebay, but have noticed that sometimes sellers say that even though they drop ship from the other side of the world..) What do you think, are the parts all easily interchangeable like that?

Thanks again

Tony

Staff member
Hey Rob, sorry for the delay. The forum moderated your posts because of the link in the first one. It's an anti-spam measure on the forum since that is how most spammers come in.

The quad you linked to comes with the CC3D controller, so no need to ask them for the FC. If you already have a good radio like a spektrum or the like, I would get one without the controller but if you don't have one, this will work for now.

Most of these quads now days are knock off's. So if you break something, you will more than likely have to replace it with an original part. In most cases, it will be better to just order another bare kit. Most are going for about $20 and it gives you a lot of spares. On these little 250 quads, all 4 arms are usually the exact same, so one extra quad would give you 4 extra arms just in case.

As for using the T connectors, the motors require 3 wires, adn the connectors are only 2. So I would stick with the bullet connectors.

I hope this helps answer your questions. If I missed something, let me know. I didn't say anything about changing over to a new FC (flight controller, ie, cc3d) because it comes with the CC3D already. But let me know if you need more help.

RobT

Yeah, i didn't have much time off work so i ordered it. It got here like lightening- 3 days, amazing. But, it DIDN't come with a CC3d. The title of the bid page says it would, but later in the page in mentioned a Wii. I sent a letter b4 ordering, they confirm it comes with a CC3d. But it came with the wii anyway. I don't really want to build my first with a wii because it looks a lot more involved, but have been trying to arrange an exchange.

Also the motor mount holes on the arms don't line up with the holes on the motors. I let them know, they keep asking for more pictures. I guess lots of people have this happen, some file and drill, that seems like it would take a long time. Anyway, i took a week off from work to build it, that was a waste. In the end hopefully they'll just swap a cc3d for the wii. Before, they asked me if i'd like to just buy a cc3d at a discount for $22.95.

Anyway, not to badmouth the seller, i'm sure they're fine, but after the problems, i read a lot, i wish i had before- this frame apparently is sold by sixteen million different vendors. I don't know if it's always the same mfg or not, but tons of people have the same problem with the holes for motors not spaced right. I guess some people are just mounting motors with the holes that let them and they haven't run into problems. If i could do my life over again, i wouldn't buy this frame. I'm sure the seller is ok, but shame on the mfg, i've found posts 1-2 years old with the same motor mount problem, yet it still happens. Also, shame on me for being a cheapskate:)

Tony

Staff member
I am looking into this moderation issue, It should't have done that.

Hope the seller makes everything right for you. Things like this happen, and most sellers will step up and correct the issue. Hope this is one of those cases.

RobT

Yes, they did, i felt pretty let down, this is my first build, i took a week off from work and spent more than than trying to get the kit updated with the promised parts. I wanted to write this to followup at least for reference for anyone else buying from the same.

The seller was fine, he was replying to me once or twice i day, probably not easy with the volume they do. But after a lot of reading, dozens of people have posted about the same issue (the motors not mounting with all 4 screws). I let him know that, but from what i gather, the frame is probably based off a plan that different mfg's use- noone seems to be addressing it or even care. It seems to be luck of the draw if you get arms that will mount.

On the cc3d issue, in the end he sent me a cc3d, didn't ask for the wii back even, probably because he knew how disappointed i was. Anyway, it's not about the money so much, but that did mean a lot that he didn't make me send it back and wait until they got it to send me a cc3d, though he had to drop ship it from china, so it may take a few weeks (months?) to get here.

Anyway, the seller was doing everything they could, a lot of times sellers don't know anything about a product, it's really up to the mfg- these are cheap generic "knock offs" so have to expect some corners to be cut, just not fatal corners. Shipping from them was lightening fast, ordered on friday, was here by monday.

Thanks,

Rob T.

Tony

Staff member
Hey, will you look at that, it didn't moderate lol.

That is great news that the seller is making this right, even if you do have to wait for shipping from china.

On the motor mount screws, if you look, the holes in the arm are spaced at two different spaces. You really only need 2 screws to hold the motor but people like to put 4 in there. You can use a small round file to make the holes larger if you need to. But again, you really only need two screws.

If you need any help with the quad, just let us know and we will do all we can to help out.

Rob
As Tony mentioned on screw holes there are 2 sets of holes designed to accommodate different motors. I my last 3 builds I have had to open up the holes on every arm to make room for more than 2 screws.
It's kind of nature of the beast with them depending on motors and manufacturer as well as who made the arms.
As long as the center of the motor pin lines up centrally on the arm hole you will be good to go.

RobT

It hadn't even crossed my beginners mind- seeing four holes on both a just made the assumption, so once i get the cc3d ( in a month or two maybe!) i can get working on it. Thanks for the input, and for fixing the moderating thing..

Stambo

I still have no screws at all holding my motors on.
They are zip tied.
Never had one come off in flight, only in crashes.
And there have been a lot of flights. (and crashes.) :)

RobT

Is there a weight advantage or safety for crashes? That's a great idea- i'd imagine with the motors vibrating, the screws can come loose eventually, but not with zip ties

I was looking at power dist boards on banggood, i noticed that some are made for cc3d, some are made for multiWii, is there a difference? My kit came with a PDB that says cirius dist board v1.0. It looks pretty simple, just a lot of solder pads on a board, but some of them i saw on banggood that say they're for the cc3d has electronics, do i need one specific for the cc3d, or can i use any board, is the extra electronics on some PDBs just for convenience functions?

Also i was thinking at some point, if i drill a hole right in the center of the four screw holes where the arms attach to the board, leave those four screws out and just put one in each arm at that center hole, i can change the angle of the arms, which should change the flight characteristics. Has anyone done that? That's way more than i'd get into now- i just need to focus on learning to fly, but since i took the time off from work and still waiting on parts, i have nothing to do but think of ways to get into new trouble.

Lee

Its not specific to CC3D. Its just that the dimensions match, so you can stack them.
I just bought two of these boards.
http://www.banggood.com/CC3D-Flight...ut-Power-Distribution-Board-PCB-p-973352.html

They work fine as a board just for powering your ESCs, and to power the CC3D, but not for you FPV gear.

The 12V output is crap.
It shows 12V when nothing is plugged into it, but the second you add a VTX and camera, the voltage drops to 4V :(
So you don't get a picture through your camera.

I just ordered one of these.
http://www.banggood.com/Diatone-ZMR...-ZMR250-RC-Quadcopter-Frame-Kit-p-987596.html

RobT

That's exactly the one i was looking at! Hopefully they let you return it, but then at those kinds of prices not sure it's worth it. Surprised, that's exactly what i was thinking- figuring it would be a nice thing rather than use other gear to help with power, but in that case.. At least things are so cheap (in more than one way tho). I did get the vibration isolation mount for the controller

http://www.banggood.com/CC3D-Mini-A...roller-Anti-vibration-Plate-Set-p-971905.html

RobT

I figured i'd at least get some of the parts put together in case a motor or something else doesn't work i can exchange it sooner than later. I'm still going by this video, i think i might have taken off all of the red and black things that screw on the top of the motors- do the red ones turn right to tighten, and black turn left to tighten? Is there something on the motor that says which it is? I know that you can swap the wires going to the ESC to reverse direction, but i also read that some motors aren't running as efficiently if you reverse, is that true? Darn newbs:)

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe i confuse the issue- the video says the red ones go front right and rear left, and that red turns counter clockwise. That makes perfect sense. But when i look at the bottom of the box, there are two lines, one says "plus thread", the other says "ccw thread", safe to assume that "plus thread" means CW, and the boxes that came with the red ones have a check next to "plus thread" vice versa for black. Maybe i'mm making a big thing of nothing. Darn newbs:)

RobT

Well, you can't reverse them because they won't go on the wrong motors, duh, that wasn't quite what i meant, the boxes probably are just marked wrong.

Tony

Staff member
In all honesty, I think they anodize the locks differently just to confuse people. Or, they just pick up a hand full and don't care what is what. In the video, it may have been one way, but could be another in real life. This is the wonderful life of building a chinese quad.

Top Bottom