Quad Yaw issue with Estes Proto X Nano

gbcarync

Greetings,

My Proto X has starting acting up. After yawing either direction, after the stick is recentered it will continue to yaw to the right, sometimes as much as 80 degrees. I've done the gyro recalibration and it still happens. I suspect the issue is with the controller (the tiny stock controller) not the copter itself.

Anyone else have this issue and find a way to resolve it?

Thanks,

Greg.

Tony

Staff member
should have done a search on this thing lol. Thought it was a helicopter.

Sounds like the yaw gyro is over compensating. Have you tried rebinding the Tx to the quad? Not sure if you can, but it's worth a shot. Also, are there any adjustments you can do to the gyros? This is a pretty new quad and I don't think anyone on here has one.

pvolcko

You don't have any rudder trim dialed in, do you?

Make sure the props are tight on the motor shafts. Also take them off one at a time and make sure there isn't any hair or anything wrapped around there. Sometimes hair will wrap up and cause the prop response to be sluggish and cause this kind of issue.

cn63bug

I've found that it is a problem with the tx that comes bundled with the quad. I have had the same issues with mine using the stock tx (which doesn't have trims for rudder). It wasn't horrible and I could still control it with the small tx. The way I fixed the problem for me was I built a tx module that I plug into my dx8 and then I can set dual rates and use trims. Also unlocks all of the other feature of the proto such as light control and flips too. Mine flies without the exaggerated yaw and rolls now.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't have any rudder trim dialed in, do you?

Make sure the props are tight on the motor shafts. Also take them off one at a time and make sure there isn't any hair or anything wrapped around there. Sometimes hair will wrap up and cause the prop response to be sluggish and cause this kind of issue.

I would also check the props as well though for any hair like Paul suggested. I would also check to make sure that none of your motor mounts are broken either.

Tony

Staff member
Proved me wrong lol. I didn't think anyone on here had one lol. Chris, can you inform us how to make a module for the DX8? For $35, it may just be worth it if I can get it flying with my DX8...

cn63bug

I can post some schematics up when I get back to work on Monday. I forgot my jump drive at work which has my instructions on it. The hard part is getting the transceiver modules. No one carries them in the states. And also coming up with a small enough case to install everything into. I'm working on an all in one design right now where all the components are on one board instead of two (still a ways off on these though). The range is also extended further than the stock tx as well. The module is capable on controlling all hubsan models including their x4 fpv. With a different transceiver, it can be capable of up to 1500m range. Although, I would only recommend that for fpv :)
I do have a few modules that I can let go for the cost of the parts though. I just have to assemble them. They are spektrum or JR compatible. The range on these modules is roughly 60 feet. These things are tiny though and 60 feet is plenty :)

pvolcko

I bought a bunch of these for family and friends this past Christmas. Fun little quads. Apparently they will bind with Hubsan X4 transmitters, which is a nicer Tx.

cn63bug

I bought a bunch of these for family and friends this past Christmas. Fun little quads. Apparently they will bind with Hubsan X4 transmitters, which is a nicer Tx.
Yep, the x4 tx works with the proto too. In my case, I wanted a way to just use my dx8 with everything instead of multiple transmitters. :)

cn63bug

So here is a pic of my schematic. There are two LED's on this particular setup that indicate power and then bind. The resistors used for these points (R1 and R2), will possible vary in rating based on what value you would use for the LEDS. This design allows for a 1S 150 mAh lipo to power the module. It has a built in regulator to keep the voltage at 3.3v for both boards. It can receive an input voltage up to 12v however.

hubsan control schematic.jpg

Last edited:

EyeStation

Hey guy's. Chris hooked me up with a setup for my DX6i and ProtoX. Awesome package he whipped up, looks super clean velcro'd to the battery door of the TX. Powered it up prior to turning on the Estes and she did two blinks and bound to the TX/module. He sent me over the settings for my TX so I had a memory slot set to go.
Saw some of the expo settings were in the negative numbers,. I snickered as I entered them in. Little did Eye know what that size of Zero can do. This little thing sizzles now. I have done a few aileron rolls, but could not tell you how for the life of me.
One thing I am enjoying is the subtrim ability for yaw(?). keeping the nose forward without stick input is nice. The throttle seems more in check too, because your thumbs are used to the throw in the gimbals of the DX6i.
Thanks Chris!
If Rc-Help had Trader Feedback, Eye'd give you 5 Stars.

Top Bottom