450 Wrecked it

So i took my Blade 450 3D out for its maiden a couple weeks ago and i got it off the ground but it was short lived because even though it was only at just enough throttle to get it up off the ground about 3 feet i didnt let off the throttle fast enough to get it to the ground and slow or stop the blades fast enough before the blades hit a ladder that was in my back yard on the ground against my fence. it had drifted towards the fence but i thought i could of corrected before it got to close but was proven very wrong. My question is this even though i broke the blades but not to bad i did notice that the flybar that is on it still is slightly curved or bent on both sides in the shape of a half moon but not even close to that severe so can i just bend them back to straight and call it good or should i just replace it? remember Im brand new to flying and not only was that the maiden for the heli but it was also my maiden flight too so i would rather keep the flybar on for now because isnt it easier for beginners to use one? Plus i also own a fully upgraded Align 450 flybarless when im ready. luckily for me even though i didnt know before hand the stock blades on my Blade 450 3D where only wood because if they had been Carbon fiber i probably would of messed up my heli pretty bad seens how they wouldnt of broken near as easily.thanks tom

Derek

That sucks about the crash buddy! Sorry to hear that. In regard to your flybar...I would definitely replace it. They are cheap. Here is a link to Horizon Hobby that shows the package and the price:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/flybar-220mm-2-b450-3d-b400-BLH1625

Two replacement flybar's for $5.99. Cheap! I say to replace it because, even though you can probably bend it so that it is close to being straight again, it probably won't be straight and will probably throw off the balance and cause some wicked vibrations. Just get a new one and replace the damaged flybar. Also...with a crash like this, you more than likely bent the feathering shaft as well. Check your feathering shaft and check the main shaft. If they are bent, even slightly, they should be replaced, as well.

Here is a link to show you the main shaft replacements:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/main-shaft-2-b450-3d-BLH1647

Here is a link to show you the feathering shaft replacements:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/spindle-feathering-shaft-2-b450-3d-BLH1621

All are pretty inexpensive parts to replace and they are certainly not difficult to replace.

If you are a beginner, I would also like to recommend and suggest getting some training gear for your 450. Yes, they look a little goofy on the helicopter, but I can promise you this...they will help in your learning process. I used training gear on my Trex 500 for months and I know they helped me.

Take a look at your main gear, too, just to make sure that the impact didn't damage any teeth on the main gear.

Good luck buddy! I hope you get it all sorted out.

Oh...I'm sure you know this, but I'm gonna say it anyway...just because I gave you some links to the replacement parts from Horizon Hobby doesn't mean that you have to get the parts from Horizon Hobby. I'm sure your local hobby shop will have then in stock or they can order them for you. Or...you can order them.

Last edited:

treff

Great advice and info from mountaindewdude76 also find a more open space to fly in it will really help those darn helis move pretty quick. Best of luck with repairs.

john2012

Banned
Hello and just one more thing to remember is SAFTEY COMES FIRST do not fly your bird with anything broken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom