Would anyone like to help test a new forum version?

murankar

Staff member
I agree with matt on this. So far I just did some surfing and posting. I wanted to see it and then give some input. One thing is getting used to the narrow content area. On this site the content area is wider and more appealing to me. I can get used to the narrowness of the other. If your set on the upgrade then I am all for it. We can continue working on the looks and layout as we go.

Tony

Staff member
Not good, not bad, just different... I can live with that.

Uri, I have adjusted the width of the page to 98% from 90%. This should help to make it look more like this site. The thing that it's doing is, the sections are taller thus giving the appearance that it's narrower than this site. Let me know what you think of it now.

And as for being set on it, I'm not. This site has some serious issues that I'm trying like hell to resolve. But if I can't do it, then I will have no choice but to upgrade. However, I have started some fixes on this site to hopefully, buy me some time to get the other site just the way I want it.

So keep posting suggestions, and comments.

Tony

Staff member
Uri, you say you did some posting. Where did you post? I'm not seeing anything over there.

RandyDSok

Tony...

I don't think I answered your question on what I thought of the speed of the other forum... got sidetracked I guess.

I'm not seeing a big difference if there is any... at first I did think it was a little slower to respond, but revisiting it now that doesn't seem to be the case. I was probably just paying more attention so the time seemed longer.

One thing I have noticed... the icon/graphic found on the left side of a post/forum area on this forum is large and obvious. Having them colored red or gray to denote a new post/thread is obvious. On the newer one... It isn't as obvious and I have to look closer to notice them. It may be a matter of just the size... or the graphic that denotes it.... Just something I notice right away.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, the site icons are small on that site. I do have plans on doing some custom icons so that it's easier to see what sections have new posts.

bbj

I looked at the new site and like the overall layout. Specifically the way you organized the options to go to in for say helicopters. Seeing columns instead of a continuous pick with a , between options such as 450, 500,etc. I also liked the way pictures appear being smaller side by side when posting more than 3 pictures. At this time with my limited looking into the new site I see no problem using it.

Tony

Staff member
Thanks for that BBJ. I as well like the way the sub forums are shown in this new forum. It's a lot cleaner, but does make the forum look narrower as URI stated last night.

As for the pictures. there are some issues with them. If you create a post and upload a few photos, you will see what I mean. There is two ways to upload photos, one is with teh photo button on teh left, and the other is the upload attachments button.

Another issue I found is if you go into your blog, you can upload an image there on the right side of the screen. This image is limited to 65kb, which is very small. I can't seem to find a way to raise this limit. But I'm working on it.

I may have bought us some time in upgrading, but it's nice to know people are liking the new forum.

Tony

Staff member
I encourage everyone to post up over there to get the full experience. Try not to reply to threads, since it will send the people in that thread an email, and confuse those that are not aware of the new forum. Just create a new thread, and reply to it as many times as you want. Don't worry about posting too much or trashing the forums with random posts. This is just a test forum and I want every part of it tested before we take it live.

Tony

Staff member
Has anyone else done any testing on the new forum? I thought I had the issues repaired, but they came back. So I think I need to do the upgrade on the forum but would really like to hear some more feedback on the new forum before I do so.

Kamper

Hey Tony,

Just tried to take a look at your new forum and got a notice that "Safari can't find server" ??

Ken

RandyDSok

Hey Tony,

Just tried to take a look at your new forum and got a notice that "Safari can't find server" ??

Ken

The post was originally made in Febuary is why... 3 months back

Pardon... it was the end of Feb... so just over 2 months now...

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Yup, we tested this "new" version and it had some issues. More than I really have time to tackle at this time so we reverted back to the version we are on now. No big deal though, this version is working out just fine. It's clean, fast and I know where everything is lol. Thanks for wanting to help though.

Top Bottom