450 wobbling Dominator

trainrider06

hey ya all, I had posted an earlier thread about my 450 Dominator having a bit of wobble in idol 1 I lowered the cyclic gains on the AR7200BX but get no results. I really don't know what would be going on here with this thing!
I'll try and get a video of it this evening. She's smooth as silk in Idol 0, but when I go to idol 1 it gets this little shake in it. I know the higher head speed is bringing it about. may have to go all through it and see if I can see something amiss I suppose.

Tony

Staff member
Just FYI (and you should know this Texas boy!!!), it's "Ya'll" lmao. Had to do it.

How much did you lower it? I just flew my 450 Pro V2 with AR7200BX (didn't end well unfortunately) and the stock cyclic gains are perfect!!! I tried IU2 (100% throttle) and the tail gave out on me causing it to go down to the ground in a rather quick fashion....

So your IU1, what % is it and how much did you lower your cyclic gain?

trainrider06

Yeah I saw your video, and poor bent up heli.
I adjusted the cyclic swash adjustment down or to the left about a 1/4 turn in all on the AR7200's dial.
The tail is great, dialed in locked and loaded, you can see the skids wobbling around. I was gonna see about shooting a video of it to better explain it. Need to look at blade tracking also, because I haven't really paid attention to it, my focus being on the skids as they shake very subtly back and forth. I'm beginning to wonder if it's either a blade or head issue thinking about it some.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, check the balance of the blades and make sure your blades are not too tight. Also, might be a good idea to check your main and feathering shafts and make sure they are straight as well.

Tony

Staff member
So why did you put this in the 500 section? (400-500mm blades). 450's have 325mm blades, and 500's have 425mm blades.

trainrider06

Haha, didn't pay attention is why! It's hot out in the garage dang it! So my thunkin ain't thinkin right....
Well I just checked balance on blades, had a heavy one, also I think I'd mentioned this back when I built this thing, but one of the blades has a little thicker root. I took some 0000 steel wool and got that to fit a little better to where it's not as tight.
Charging a pack now, will get it on film to see if it's still doing it, after it charges...

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Yeah I saw your video, and poor bent up heli.
I adjusted the cyclic swash adjustment down or to the left about a 1/4 turn in all on the AR7200's dial.
The tail is great, dialed in locked and loaded, you can see the skids wobbling around. I was gonna see about shooting a video of it to better explain it. Need to look at blade tracking also, because I haven't really paid attention to it, my focus being on the skids as they shake very subtly back and forth. I'm beginning to wonder if it's either a blade or head issue thinking about it some.

I thought when adjusting the dial on the AR7200, you'll only turn the dial like 1/16 @ a time. The AR is touchy when turning dial. 1/4 turn is much. Just my opinion.

Tony

Staff member
I usually turn it about an hour at a time (1/12th of a turn). But if you are wanting to see a drastic difference, a 1/4 turn will show you if that is the issue.

Just an FYI, all of my pots on my 7200BX are at 12 O'Clock.

trainrider06

yeuup they were all at high noon, and had adjusted it about a 1/4 turn without improvement, then found the weightie blade, leveled that, got pack charged and put her in the air.....then two things went wrong LOL
the storm I mentioned was very near but it was calm, I flicked to idol 1 and all the sudden this loud noise started, sounded like monster pitch was taking place, popped it off of idol 1 and then about that time the wind blew.....I mean BLEW!!!!!
the heli was tail in at the time and when the wind hit at about 40-50mph the heli went from level to tail down, and it was getting out of control, I got it level, but the wind was trying to take it away, so I dropped the stick and she came down hard!
Stripped one of my DS430's but that was all, oh put a slight ding in one blade. My video entailed a lot of cussing, and I had set the focus up way too close so it didn't capture much but the dang grass.....:(
Wish I had that on video. that was a wild ride! oh the noise, that was the crappy old tape I used and it was flapping in the breeze.....unbelievable the sound it made! Sounded like monster pitch being applied.....
Luckily I have a couple spare 430's in stock so won't be any expense just the pain in the ass off getting the servo off and resetting it up.....:thumbsdown::waa::duh::rolleyes1::cussing::cussing:

Tony

Staff member
Sounded like your flight went better than either one of mine lol. But sucks about the servo. I know that pain as well. Hope you get it together and in the air soon.

question is, did it wobble in IU1? lol

trainrider06

didn't even have time to get a look see at it, that noise started, then as soon as the wind hit as I dropped off idol 1 to 0 i had my hands full of stick and butt suckin oh hells LOL

murankar

Staff member
Dfc has issues at lower head speeds. You could be in a head speed range that does not suit for dfc. Try bumping the head speed up a little and see of that improves.

trainrider06

i have the head speed in range on the Dominator, i am wondering if these blades are the culprit, because one of them had a screwed up root size, and was fairly heavier than they other....

trainrider06

I thought when adjusting the dial on the AR7200, you'll only turn the dial like 1/16 @ a time. The AR is touchy when turning dial. 1/4 turn is much. Just my opinion.

Hi Ivan, yeah I had adjusted it 3 or 4 different times just moving it a little, once I got to a 1/4 I figured since it was still doing it that was not the issue anyway.....

Tony

Staff member
There is something floating around in the air today. It has been a very long time since I had this many things go wrong at once with helicopters. Time to put them up for another week...

trainrider06

Man what a pain! Found stripped drive gear too! That tail section is a pain to remove also! Had to remove the rear frame to head assembly to get it out!
Thank goodness I am a hoarder though! Lolimage.jpegimage.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Tony

Staff member
Damn dude, hook a broke brotha up! I need one of those electronics trays, a battery tray, tail servo tray and a pair of canopy mounts!!! Help a broke brotha out! :biggrin1:

Top Bottom