General Wives and helis dont mix

Smoggie

That ESC is well 'toasted' for sure. It would be interesting to open it up and see what components are fried (the FETS I'd guess). I did the same thing with a YEP 120A which I accidentally spooled up while calibrating. In my panic grabbed the head to stop the rotors. I stopped it ok but the ESC went 'pop'. On that ESC it was two of the FETs that failed... No big loss really as it was a cheap ESC from one of the HK sales but annoying nonetheless.

The crack in the tail boom is classic Goblin. Anyone who might build a Goblin (630+ size) take note. There is a spacer that fits in the boom that is adjustable for length via a threaded rod. What happens is that if you dont lock the threads with red locktite or super glue, when you screw in the bolts that fix the boom the spacer turns on it's threads causing it to shorten and in turn causing the frames to flex in, and the boom to crush resulting in a crack like in Neil's photo. To be fair the manual does say to apply super glue to the threads but many people fail to pick up on the importance.

Great news that the rebuilt heli is flying ok.

Last edited:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
She looks and sound good Holtneil for what she went through. I don't think your test flight is boring. :thinking: Matter of fact, any flight, to me, is always exciting flight. :shhh: You never know whats going to happen during that flight.

Top Bottom