Why I Prefer Helicopters Vs Drones?

RandyDSok

Definitely not a pissing contest... which is why I posted the LMAO ( or a smiley ) when I'm joking around. In fact, I was a little surprised Tony didn't mention that airplanes can be drones also ( I left that opening on purpose for that reason )... :D

leedude1

I realised that guys I was playin' ya...and D.O.G....base jumping christ . I have no idea how my nephew can be so comfy up there I would wet myself so bad sitting there . I'd need professional help to get me over the trauma of it all.:biggrin1:

Eh matter of Opinion Plane are cool Helicopters are best as far as building goes one time in my youth I have done the same Worked Security for some sky rises in Chicago took my breaks on roofs many of nights. Not so much these days flat foot on the ground I remember the freedom and exhilaration nice memories thanks

murankar

Staff member
Every time I fly my heli I end up with a drone. Never fails, I fly , then people ask what kind of drone I have. The last one who asked that I said "the kind the will beat you upside your head if you call it a drone again." Lol.

Then once I explain it becomes a heli again. So I guess I have a transformer.

Stambo

Yes I can see that Drones are purpose driven, the flight for me flying a drone is like banking and turning a stalled 757 as to a mig fighter which is full operational. Not a thing wrong with drones just a choice.
You need to get yourself in to some FPV goggles and try some high speed proximity flying.
60 mph, a foot or 2 off the ground, through trees, fences, gates etc, that is when the adrenaline starts pumpin.
I used to fly helicopters, I still fly little ones, I just got too nervous when flying my Trex 500 because I knew any mistake could cost me money I don't have.
With a sub 250 size race style FPV quad a mistake might cost me a set of props, a really bad crash might cost me $100.
With my helicopter a simple blade strike could start at that and go up from there.
I enjoy the no fear FPV experience, less cost means you are prepared to take more risks, for me that means getting closer to the limits and really getting the adrenaline pumping.
Then there is airplanes, up there with the birds in a glider style, or down and dirty with the mini quads with a home built smallish wing style racer that I can reframe for $10. (and regularly do after a crash)

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey there Stambo. 60 mph, a foot or 2 off the ground, through trees, fences, gates etc, that is when the adrenaline starts pumpin. With my 180, I'm not going 60mph but being that close to the ground and going through my course, it sure does feel like I am. I also get that same adrenaline feeling when I fly my helis. They both have different ways to get my blood flowing and heart racing :eek:. Which ever one I'm flying, quad or heli, I just have a great time doing so!

sneezy007

I agree with you guys, I love the challenge of helis. It gets your heart pumping and Adrenalin going. With helis you're constantly working the sticks.

I tried a bit of FPV flying last year and really liked it. This year I've decided to devote myself entirely to helicopters. I've started practicing the side orientations on my sim. Those are a real bugger for me. I'm not a real fan of the set up and tuning parts, I prefer to fly them.
I need my own heli mechanic....LOL.

Cheers,
Dino

sneezy007

I realised that guys I was playin' ya...and D.O.G....base jumping christ . I have no idea how my nephew can be so comfy up there I would wet myself so bad sitting there . I'd need professional help to get me over the trauma of it all.:biggrin1:

I freaked out just looking at the picture.
Dino

FPV is acquired taste the googles freak me not the fit or feel getting the mind calm enough to enjoy what the camera picks up and having the screen display with the field of vision reduced some compare it to video gaming even with gaming even when I am on play station II I still have the 180 degree field of vision. For me as an active shooter, discharged military, security guard and someone always on proactive observation a 4 x 5 screen is difficult for the mind to grasp.

Definitely not a pissing contest... which is why I posted the LMAO ( or a smiley ) when I'm joking around. In fact, I was a little surprised Tony didn't mention that airplanes can be drones also ( I left that opening on purpose for that reason )... :D
Which is kind of you I never took it as a pissing match I LOVE the open debates I honor all opinions I love reading them all and taking them into category for a later reference..All answers have been AWESOME and noted.

Stambo

FPV is acquired taste the googles freak me not the fit or feel getting the mind calm enough to enjoy what the camera picks up and having the screen display with the field of vision reduced some compare it to video gaming even with gaming even when I am on play station II I still have the 180 degree field of vision. For me as an active shooter, discharged military, security guard and someone always on proactive observation a 4 x 5 screen is difficult for the mind to grasp.
I have to agree, the first few times I tried it it freaked the hell out of me, I had no one to teach me how it should be done but damned if I was gonna give up after spending that much money on gear.
Now I find LOS flight a little boring, I am so limited in not only how far I can fly (My eyesight is not great) but also how close I can get to stuff, my depth perception at distance is terrible.
I feel so much more in control flying FPV whether I am down low clipping the grass or up at 400 relaxing and enjoying the ride.

sneezy007

I have to agree, the first few times I tried it it freaked the hell out of me, I had no one to teach me how it should be done but damned if I was gonna give up after spending that much money on gear.
Now I find LOS flight a little boring, I am so limited in not only how far I can fly (My eyesight is not great) but also how close I can get to stuff, my depth perception at distance is terrible.
I feel so much more in control flying FPV whether I am down low clipping the grass or up at 400 relaxing and enjoying the ride.

This is the beauty of this hobby. There are so many different ways to go. Let's all celebrate our different interests and enjoy the ride.
Dino

I might have to get me a set-up and try and acclimate myself, If I don`t take to it there is always Caleb

Stambo

I might have to get me a set-up and try and acclimate myself, If I don`t take to it there is always Caleb
My best suggestion is don't start with cheap junk gear, if you cannot see clearly it will be much harder to enjoy.
There is plenty of good used gear around if that's what you want as people upgrade to the "latest greatest thing".
Or there are many new cheaper goggles that get excellent reviews.
Lot's of reviews around on Youtube, do some research before you buy.
If you do, there are plenty of people here able and willing to help with advice and encouragement.

leedude1

I freaked out just looking at the picture.
Dino
Yeah he flipped me a few of his pictures from the roof tops, they are awesome but hard to deal with the ones where hes out there himself like that I wasnt kidding about therapy if i was there, the city would think there was a quake going on from me shaking so hard.

Top Bottom