1. Guest, Thank you for visiting Rc-Help. Please do NOT post tech questions in this section, post them in the Tech section instead. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you would like to get rid of these banners and the ads within the posts, all you have to do is sign up and they will go away!
  3. Welcome to Rc-Help, are you here looking for the PDF Plans? They are located in the store in the tab above, but you must be signed in to access that part of the site. It only takes a second to sign up!
  4. Like Us On Facebook!
    Hello Guest, it occurred to us during that last server failure that we had no way of informing the members of the site of the failure and I would like to invite you to like us on facebook so that you can get updates if the site happens to go down again. We don't post much over there unless we are updating the members so we will not flood your feed like some places do. Just click on Like and then allow notifications and that's it. See you there soon!

Click Here To Rc-Help's Facebook page!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, I see you are not signed up on our forum yet. Did you know Registration is FREE and is only a couple clicks away? You can even sign in from Facebook, Twitter or Google+ for your convenience! So what are you waiting for, CLICK HERE to join in on the conversation!

Why I Prefer Helicopters Vs Drones?

Discussion in 'RC-Help Lounge' started by Kentucky Fly Boy, Jan 6, 2019.

< Haunted Cup | Harbor Freight Coupons >
  1. leedude1

leedude1 Member

Not a pissing contest here guys :) I have, as every one should an appreciation for the rc world and all our respective machines.

Kentucky Fly Boy likes this.

2. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

Oh trust me, it's not. Randy and I give each other crap all the time. Even in person since he only lives about 20 minutes from me lmao.

3. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

Definitely not a pissing contest... which is why I posted the LMAO ( or a smiley ) when I'm joking around. In fact, I was a little surprised Tony didn't mention that airplanes can be drones also ( I left that opening on purpose for that reason )... :D

4. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

Don't make me come up there... :chuckles:

5. leedude1

leedude1 Member

I realised that guys I was playin' ya...and D.O.G....base jumping christ . I have no idea how my nephew can be so comfy up there I would wet myself so bad sitting there . I'd need professional help to get me over the trauma of it all.:biggrin1:

6. Kentucky Fly Boy

Kentucky Fly Boy Member

Security
    Eh matter of Opinion Plane are cool Helicopters are best as far as building goes one time in my youth I have done the same Worked Security for some sky rises in Chicago took my breaks on roofs many of nights. Not so much these days flat foot on the ground I remember the freedom and exhilaration nice memories thanks

7. murankar

murankar Moderator Staff Member Armed Forces

Soldier
    Every time I fly my heli I end up with a drone. Never fails, I fly , then people ask what kind of drone I have. The last one who asked that I said "the kind the will beat you upside your head if you call it a drone again." Lol.

Then once I explain it becomes a heli again. So I guess I have a transformer.

8. Stambo

Stambo Well-Known Member

You need to get yourself in to some FPV goggles and try some high speed proximity flying.
    60 mph, a foot or 2 off the ground, through trees, fences, gates etc, that is when the adrenaline starts pumpin.
    I used to fly helicopters, I still fly little ones, I just got too nervous when flying my Trex 500 because I knew any mistake could cost me money I don't have.
    With a sub 250 size race style FPV quad a mistake might cost me a set of props, a really bad crash might cost me $100.
    With my helicopter a simple blade strike could start at that and go up from there.
    I enjoy the no fear FPV experience, less cost means you are prepared to take more risks, for me that means getting closer to the limits and really getting the adrenaline pumping.
    Then there is airplanes, up there with the birds in a glider style, or down and dirty with the mini quads with a home built smallish wing style racer that I can reframe for $10. (and regularly do after a crash)

9. D.O.G.

D.O.G. I Support Rc-Help! Rc-Help Supporter Goblin 380 Supporter

Disable
    Hey there Stambo. 60 mph, a foot or 2 off the ground, through trees, fences, gates etc, that is when the adrenaline starts pumpin. With my 180, I'm not going 60mph but being that close to the ground and going through my course, it sure does feel like I am. I also get that same adrenaline feeling when I fly my helis. They both have different ways to get my blood flowing and heart racing :eek:. Which ever one I'm flying, quad or heli, I just have a great time doing so!

10. sneezy007

sneezy007 Active Member

Geophysical Technician (Retired)
    Home Page:
    I agree with you guys, I love the challenge of helis. It gets your heart pumping and Adrenalin going. With helis you're constantly working the sticks.

I tried a bit of FPV flying last year and really liked it. This year I've decided to devote myself entirely to helicopters. I've started practicing the side orientations on my sim. Those are a real bugger for me. I'm not a real fan of the set up and tuning parts, I prefer to fly them.
    I need my own heli mechanic....LOL.

Cheers,
    Dino

11. sneezy007

sneezy007 Active Member

Home Page:
    I freaked out just looking at the picture.
    Dino

12. Kentucky Fly Boy

Kentucky Fly Boy Member

Security
    FPV is acquired taste the googles freak me not the fit or feel getting the mind calm enough to enjoy what the camera picks up and having the screen display with the field of vision reduced some compare it to video gaming even with gaming even when I am on play station II I still have the 180 degree field of vision. For me as an active shooter, discharged military, security guard and someone always on proactive observation a 4 x 5 screen is difficult for the mind to grasp.

13. Kentucky Fly Boy

Kentucky Fly Boy Member

Security
    Which is kind of you I never took it as a pissing match I LOVE the open debates I honor all opinions I love reading them all and taking them into category for a later reference..All answers have been AWESOME and noted.

14. Stambo

Stambo Well-Known Member

I have to agree, the first few times I tried it it freaked the hell out of me, I had no one to teach me how it should be done but damned if I was gonna give up after spending that much money on gear.
    Now I find LOS flight a little boring, I am so limited in not only how far I can fly (My eyesight is not great) but also how close I can get to stuff, my depth perception at distance is terrible.
    I feel so much more in control flying FPV whether I am down low clipping the grass or up at 400 relaxing and enjoying the ride.

15. sneezy007

sneezy007 Active Member

Home Page:
    This is the beauty of this hobby. There are so many different ways to go. Let's all celebrate our different interests and enjoy the ride.
    Dino

Kentucky Fly Boy and Tony like this.
  16. Kentucky Fly Boy

Kentucky Fly Boy Member

Security

I might have to get me a set-up and try and acclimate myself, If I don`t take to it there is always Caleb

17. Stambo

Stambo Well-Known Member

My best suggestion is don't start with cheap junk gear, if you cannot see clearly it will be much harder to enjoy.
    There is plenty of good used gear around if that's what you want as people upgrade to the "latest greatest thing".
    Or there are many new cheaper goggles that get excellent reviews.
    Lot's of reviews around on Youtube, do some research before you buy.
    If you do, there are plenty of people here able and willing to help with advice and encouragement.

18. Kentucky Fly Boy

Kentucky Fly Boy Member

Security
    Have Yet to start to start that journey....From some I have seen got to be as challenging........

19. leedude1

leedude1 Member

Yeah he flipped me a few of his pictures from the roof tops, they are awesome but hard to deal with the ones where hes out there himself like that I wasnt kidding about therapy if i was there, the city would think there was a quake going on from me shaking so hard.

< Haunted Cup | Harbor Freight Coupons >