Whiplash 90E flies!!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
You know what they say: Third time is the charm :D :D

So I found out that there were multiple issues with my Ikon and Castle interface and setup ..

1) I did not know that I not only have to caliberate the Ikon with the motor and ikon itself.. I also had to caliberate IKON WITH THE CASTLE. So found out that my "low" point in the Ikon program was 400 points lower than it needed to be. It needed to be RIGHT at where the throttle Zero engages the castle.

2) I found out with the recent F/W upgrade on castle changed the modulation schema to "digital" and that made the hyperion sensor not work very well as Hyperion phase sensors are analog based sensors. So I need a Hobby wing or spektrum two wire digital phase sensors.

So in light of knowing all that, I basicaly disabled the governor on the Ikon and disconnected the sensor and also enabled Castle governor on it. So running 1900-2000-2100 on the motor now.

Got on the field and the esc wouldnt arm.. Frustrated... by chance checked the esc was hooked up on the wrong channel . PHEW.. Lol I dont have to go back..

So rehooked everything.. and here was the flight. THe way my esc is mounted, it doesnt have a lot of airflow. I think I will need to make some holes in my canopy front. I need ideas to make them and make them look good.

Esc came down pretty warm. motor was warm.. actually hot too. but I had good amount of power. Flew for 6 minutes.. I will see tonight how high temps got during the flight..

here she is :

Whiplash 90 E Third time is the charm! :D - YouTube

Lee

Great job mate. What do you have your banking switch set to? I have change mine to the left hand side trainer switch. It only has two positions but its much easier to reach in an emergency. And i only need two modes. i use Extreme 3D and Extreme 3D with auto level. Very fast response :D

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I am using my Aux 2 switch .. its above my throttle channel. Not extremely convenient.. but I am not so impressed with the consistence I have read with the BRAIN/Ikon's autolevel. So my settings are

Sport flying Gain 43%

and

3D flying Gain 38%

and I went to 3D around the end and it became SO FAST! I cant believe what It'll have in Extreme 3D.. The sport setting was a bit slow honestly.. Rolls were slow.. with cyclic pitch at 10 degrees.

I might do 3D and extreme 3D.

And yes with my radio I am confined to using two positions.. till I do some mxing or soething. But I think I am happy with it.

Last edited:

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Ok so what are you guys talking about?

- - - Updated - - -

I'll be setting my ikon up in a few short weeks!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Sam

When setting the Ikon when you are in the menu where you program 100percent throws .. see what switch toggles "Bank selection" on your radio. It probably will be a three position switch .. I am not sure what DX8 defaults to. but I think I am right. Just try the three position switches and you will see the Bank change from 1 --> 2-->3 or vice versa. Once that is done. You know where you bank selection is.. (if you wanna chane it, you have to go to advance view and you can assign ANY channel to it.. YES ikon is THAT awesome! :D)

All these banks are, are settings you can select mid flight. Like I have one bank set for sport mode .. mushier controls.. and higher gain

once you go through the full IKON setup.. it will ask you in a window to select what settings you want in what bank.. you will see.. :) if not.. we are here to guide :)

Lee

You have 4 set ups that you can program into the Ikon. Depending on which switch you assign it to, will depend how many you can use.
Beginner
Sport
3D
Extreme 3D
And each of these can be set to normal or auto level and Gov on or off.
I have two settings for mine as thats all i need.

Gaba, I have found the auto level to be ok on the warp. A couple of times it has tended to wander off, but it was always windy when i tried it.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I know its good. But I also know its EXTREMELY sensitive to vibrations. My whippy is a bit noisy right now just because my gears havent worn in ..

I would suggest everyone to do this. Spin the heli up without blades and hit auto level and make sure swash stays level. and then hope and pray your tail blades are balanced :D

I will do all that may be on a later stage. if I go with an Ikon as an upgrade to my 7200bx that is on the warp, I would be willing to try it on the warp.. just so its a smaller bird. Less stressful!

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Ok so you can set the idle up switch has the bank switch I get you now. There calling it bank instead of normal id2. and id3. When you guys were saying bank I didn't know what you were talking about. I have a dx8 so mine should be the f mode switch.

Lee

No you still have Norm ID1 and 2 but you also have a switch to change how the heli feels. Its call bank because you can bank different settings and then switch to the one you want in the air.
The settings will change things like the DR/Expo, Gain etc to produce a more stable heli or a very fast twitchy one.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Ok so I have to set up a separate switch for bank then. Ok I'll get more into this on my tread when the time comes to set up my ikon. In the mean time go GABA! Fly that bird!

pvolcko

Very cool. Glad you finally got it in the air again, Gaba.

Does the ikon have an equivalent of the "transmitter" setting on the 7200bx? Instead of built in bank settings for expo/Dr?

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Very cool. Glad you finally got it in the air again, Gaba.

Does the ikon have an equivalent of the "transmitter" setting on the 7200bx? Instead of built in bank settings for expo/Dr?

Ikon always runs in conjunction with your expo. So whatever you set in the banks, yu can add some expo in your Tx.

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

canongraphy

Hey nice Gaba! glad to see that badboy back in the air.
can't wait to see you when your ready to really let it rip.
sweeeet!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Very nice Gaba. I think your camera man is allergic to your heli though.

Hahahahahahhahahahahah !!

I was glad not to be sneezing myself during flight. Right after it... I was sneezing like crazy .. Allergies .. HATE EM! Lol

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Top Bottom