General When to replace dampers

zenmetsu

Just a general question regarding replacing the dampers.

What are the symptoms of worn out dampers? What test can be performed to determine if they need replacement?

Tony

Staff member
If there is excessive play in the feathering shaft, if you notice pieces of the dampers being torn or cut off, then I would replace them. If you still have a pretty tight feathering shaft, and if there is still good resistance going through them, then they should be fine.

zenmetsu

Ok, thanks. There was a tiny ring of material torn from each, so I am replacing.

Out of curiosity, how does a worn damper affect in-flight performance?

I am currently working on all moving parts of my heli and have a test rig built to detect vibration. I'm going to make this thing as smooth and silent as possible, just for the challenge. I have some down time on my 500 project. My EXI order was "delayed", and I suspect stock issues. I canceled and have that Align kit that you linked, sans electronics, on the way. I liked the head on it, looks like it has many options.

BOKI

Hi Tony & Zenmetsu: I have the same problem I have looks like rubber or some material coming out & hanging down on the rotor head grips about a 1/4 of & inch! Never noticed it till I crashed! Anyway I just ordered some for My rebuild ! Haven't took anything apart so I won't loose the pieces & also remember how to put it all back together! Does this sound like one of My problems? I'm just guessing! BOKI SUNDAY 2:12 AM

Tony

Staff member
Boki, the crash may have caused the dampers to rip or tear. And a small piece may just be the flashing that is created when they mold them. However they are best to replace and keep that pair as an emergency backup. And congrats on the Align, you will like it much more than the EXI I can assure you.

zenmetsu

Yeah, I may end up liking it more, but it will end up taking me an extra month to get her in the air because of the cost difference. :( It isn't so bad though, I plan on giving my 500 the same tuning that I am doing on my 250 right now.

With my head off of my 250, I have the motor turning the naked main shaft and the tail. The vibration and noise is considerably lower, so I suspect that there are elements in the head that need to be balanced. Gonna get these parts down to 0.01g since that is the limiting resolution of my balance. Disconnecting the tail so that only the tail shaft is spun almost completely removes noise and vibration. I suspect a lot of work can be done on the tail, but the small size of the 250 will make this a challenge. :)

Tony

Staff member
You are correct, the Align heli's do cost more initially, but in the long run, IMO, they are much better. I have not had any issues with fitment of Align products like I have with the clones such as EXI and HK. And when you replace parts, most people put Align parts back on it. IMO that is a great reason to start with Align to begin with.

And I know your pain. The donations received so far are not anywhere near where we need to be to complete the RCH Heli. I'm not a patient person, but this is making me be one lmao. It's driving me nuts.

zenmetsu

That is why you must have more than one hobby. I hardly have time to do all the things that I want to do. It is fun, however, when you can merge multiple hobbies. Putting electronics and stuff on my helis will be fun. I'm currently working on a small governor for my 250. I can sense motor RPM and thus derive head speed from the gear ratios... i just need to feed trottle control back somehow to the ESC. But this is way off topic from the damper question.

Will worn out dampers make the heli unstable in a hover? Mine is pretty solid in hovering, but when giving cyclic input I have sometimes noticed uncommanded responses from my heli.. elevator changes when I apply aileron, and vice versa. It isn't much, but I notice it. Could just be gyroscopic effect with 90 degree offset, but i thought that the flybar dealt with that.

Tony

Staff member
I forgot all about answering that, my apologies. I was filling my tank up with fresh water again to rinse it and it was getting full lol.

Yes, they will affect flight quite a lot actually. From uneven blade tracking, to throwing the gyro off to just what you said, uncommanded responses. When you give forward cyclic, it literally tilts, or tries to tilt the blades in teh head block. If the dampers are loose, worn or bad, then the shaft will actually tip in the head block. And seeing as one side is forcing up while the other is forcing down, it can and will beat the crap out of them when they start getting loose.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Blades not tracking is also something that happens on worn dampners. I don't know if someone said that up top, but I figured I'll add that ;).. Softer dampners smoother softer flight.. Slow stick response. Harder response means more locked in faster stick response and yes if your blades are imbalanced then soft dampners will absorb vibration while the hard ones will pass it on through. :)

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Ohh tony just said that stuff too. Ohh well +1 ;P

Lee

I had a bad tracking issue on my 500. I put the harder dampeners in and the feather shaft tube. That solved it. :)

BOKI

Hi Coolgabsi; Been gone most of the morning ! Never got your message till about 7:00 Pm! Just wanted to Thank You for your comments on dampers! I haven't started on the rebuild yet but something looks squeezed out & hanging at the blade grips ! I ordered new dampers I think they are bad! Also checked blade balance on new wooden blades & one was off balance ! Watched one of your videos & you look like you fly pretty good! Better sign out before I'm timed out on this reply! Thanks Again!BOKI 8:17PM ILLINOIS TIME! THE BEST IN YOUR FLYING!

concept30

i just had to look at this thread, my dumpers comes out easy, now i know there not suppose to do that, i went to the hobby store to look at spare parts for my blade 450, and they let me look in this box of parts, it felt like christmas morning

BOKI

Hi concept30; I ordered new dampers from a hobby shop in Holland , Michigan ! Around where I live the hobby shops only sell the small Blade Helicopters! So I ordered the dampers from the hobby shop my best friend bought the Trex 450 SE V2 in Holland Michigan! To far to drive to any good hobby shops so its cheaper to order on the phone or computer online! But then you have shipping & have to wait for them to come! I looked at the spare parts site you had in your comment! One thing one has to do is have spare parts on hand so you can repair a crash & get flying again! Better sign off I'll get timed out! BOKI Illinois 7:28 PM THE BEST!

BOKI

Hi concept 30; This is BOKI just wondering whats in the spare parts align box? ! I bought quite a few spare parts already just wondering what you got for the money! BOKI10:59 ILLINOIS TIME MONDAY THE BEST!

concept30

well i just found out my e-flight servos are going bad in my blade 450 3d, so im ordering some parts from Horizon hobbys, anything over 100 dollars they include free shipping, and I agree with you BOKI having spare parts "on hand" is a great idea, like you said, after a crash, you can go to your work station and repair your machine right there and now and dont have to worry about waiting on parts

BOKI

Hi concept30; I was just watching TV a few minutes & was thinking about the Align parts sit you put on your comment ! The box of Align parts! ? Did you buy it and whats in the box ! I was just thinking I have no bearings & I was reading a comment on moving the servos to see if they grind or don't grind ! Anyway there are lot's of things to check after a crash never realized how much to check! You just about could by a new helicopter in spare parts! Dampers came today so with any luck I hope to start My rebuild tomorrow! Thanks for the comment BOKI 8:15 ILLINOIS TIME MONDAY! :thankyou:

Top Bottom