General When Am I Ready

Sion

so ive been putting in a lot of time on the phoenix sim and i can now hover in all orientations in 100% simulator speed. I have completed a few laps in the air and landed without crashing in 90% sim speed and it’s fairly stable and smooth. In 100% speed its a bit more rough but is still ok. What im wondering is what stage should i bite the bullet and go out with my chopper and give it a go? Is there a stage i should get to and be perfect at first or just go for it?

Tony

Staff member
The best option I can give you is, when YOU think you are ready. I would definitely try to master flying at 100% speed with a high realism on the model before trying to fly IRL, but if you feel you are ready, there is only one way to know for sure. Just give yourself plenty of space and get used to hitting that hold switch to save parts if something goes wrong.

Sion

Its all on high realism already exept sim speed when flying got that diled down to 90%. Yeah thats what I thought everybody’s different after all. Im not planning on going out and flying around just out to hover first as im not happy with my flying on the sim yet.
Is there any other manoeuvres I should master to help when i go out?

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I agree with Tony. When you think your ready. The challenge is, just my opinion, is taking those skill from the sim. and apply it to the real flight. Most of all it's a mental state of mind convincing your self that you can do it. Once you break that barrier, you should be fine. If you worry about crashing, which will happen, it's going to happen quicker if you think about it. Just go out and have some fun and enjoy :)

Tony

Staff member
If you are good at hovering in all orientations, then start practicing some forward flight. when you are side in, push a little nose down and head off a little bit, get it back into a hover, do a rudder turn, and bring it back, go past you and do the same thing on the other side. From there, start doing figure 8's, just make sure they are tail in turn figure 8's. That means when the helicopter is on your right, you are making a left turn. When the helicopter is on your left, you are making a right turn. Once you master that, then do it the other way, on the right, make a right turn, on the left make a left turn. This will be a nose in turn which can catch some off guard. Most of all, just have fun.

murankar

Staff member
All i can say is just do it. While the sin helps with the muscle memory its still way different in real life. On the sin there is no real consequence for crashing or dumb thumbing.

If your at 80% or greater in successful flying then your ready to start real life flying. You can not fear the crash. It will hold you back. I know this first hand. That's been my issue for 6 years. Its going to happen.

The SIM has its place in learning. You will never be able to polish your skills in a SIM. At some point you have to let go of the shore line so to speak.

Admiral

SIM time is good but I have never found one that is anything like real, take small hops to start with, when your comfortable take bigger ones, build your confidence slowly, once you can get out of down draft or prop wash Abt. 3 foot it gets even easier.

Never did a simulator myself, Now I started Wal Mart 3 channel cheapos worked up wards. I have had people ask about them I do recommend if your jumping straight in to a T-Rex/Clone take the simulator if you want to ease into it take the Wal Mart route.

Tony

Staff member
That is going to depend on what 3 channel you get because those can teach you bad habits as well. For example, if the rudder is on the right stick as a "turn" stick rather than being on the left stick where it should be for a Mode 2 helicopter.

That is going to depend on what 3 channel you get because those can teach you bad habits as well. For example, if the rudder is on the right stick as a "turn" stick rather than being on the left stick where it should be for a Mode 2 helicopter.
Yes, but as I was well educated by a mentor I new that going in, the 3 channel was a basic get acclimated to remote control, As I worked into 4 channel I new things are going to be different as pears and celery between them

murankar

Staff member
Master your 4 upright orientations. Constant heading boxes and circles. Then switch it to backward boxes and circles.

Inverted all 4 orientations. Same thing here nose first constant heading boxes and circles in all 4 orientations.

Once you feel confident that you can control theheli then move to forward flight. Not much different at this point. Instead of circles do ovals but rotate the nose to keep it leading. Again then go inverted.

Inverted is going to be optional at the beginning stages. As you gain confidence in stick moment for inverted the move to real life. I will reiterate that the sim is good to build muscle memory while learning. Real life is where you protect it.

The way you can tell if your progressing is by how much you chase the help with the sticks. If your flying it then its the sticks that move first and the heli will follow. If the heli is flying you then it will feel as if your sticks are behind in movement in relation to the heli.

Hope things are getting easier.

Top Bottom