General What Simulator

Seajays

What do you suggest I get. I have a Mac and Windows 7 laptop and a DX6I. I would prefer to use the Mac with out any 3 party software. If not , I will use my Windows 7....Thanks

stokke

I use Phoenix myself, and love it!
I also hear RealFlight is supposed to be good.

If either will work on a Mac, I don't know.

llommel

I have Phoenix, love it, good graphics & the 3D flying sights give it a realistic flying situation.
Free upgrades available. Haven't had any experience with other sims.

- - - Updated - - -

I have Phoenix, love it, good graphics & the 3D flying sights give it a realistic flying situation.
Free upgrades available. Haven't had any experience with other sims.

xokia

I use Phoenix RC. I've played with Real Flight at the hobby store and it seems to "gameish" to me. I also dont like using their controller because it's not what you will use when out flying your helicopter. I have heard you can plug in your transmitter into Real Flight but I dont know if that's true or not.

Most of these simulators make it to easy. And you really have to play with the weather settings to try and get something realistic. Where I live I can hover but then get large elevation drops without touching the throttle. So I am constantly having to correct. I dont know if that is related to changes in battery voltage as the battery dies or if it related to thermals.

But I have managed to play with the thermal settings in Phoenix RC to mimic this behaviour.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I use Phoenix RC. I've played with Real Flight at the hobby store and it seems to "gameish" to me. I also dont like using their controller because it's not what you will use when out flying your helicopter. I have heard you can plug in your transmitter into Real Flight but I dont know if that's true or not.

Most of these simulators make it to easy. And you really have to play with the weather settings to try and get something realistic. Where I live I can hover but then get large elevation drops without touching the throttle. So I am constantly having to correct. I dont know if that is related to changes in battery voltage as the battery dies or if it related to thermals.

But I have managed to play with the thermal settings in Phoenix RC to mimic this behaviour.

Real flight uses a futaba tx for there sym. I don't know if a spectrum will work but I don't see why not if you can get a cord to fit!

murankar

Staff member
Real flight basic you have to use the supplied tx. The software wont launch if it is not connected. Real flight basic is what I am using.

concept30

i have Phoenic and I love it, i dont know if Real Flight lets you or not but Phoenic lets you go online with other players, i remember reading that Real Flight 6.0 lets you setup the tail servo to go out, putting you in a tail spend and so does Phoenic, I try it, and crashed. Phoenic is a Awesome Sim to learn to fly on.

callsign4223

Staff member
I use clearview, and I like it. On the other hand I have never used phoenix or real flight so I can't compare them. I was too cheap to spend that much on a sim.

If you do use clearview I would highly suggest to either get a sim controller(USB TX) or get a USB trainer cable. It is a lot easier to setup that way than trying to us the audio cable.

To clear up a couple of things
The real flight is a good sim ( top in the market), but like others have said the TX that you use is the one that comes with the sim.The opions on real flight to compare to pheonix are RF pheonix does have better graphics.When it comes to the TX for RF you HAVE to use the one suppied.You cant use dx models or anything because when you install the sim it will ask for the product code for the sim AND...The s/n for the controller
Deciding on what sim you want is really up to your pocket book ($$$$$$$) now the top three sims out there are....phoenix, real flight , and clearview

murankar

Staff member
If you get that get the one with the DX6i and sell the DX6i to help with the financing of it. You could net 150-160 dollars for a brand new controller.

Lee

To answer the original question, if you want to use your Mac without any additional software, there is only one option. Heli-X
Its what i have used since starting this hobby. As the title suggests, its helicopters only, no airplanes Its much cheaper than the others and does the job perfectly well for what a sim is needed. Check it out. And if you do get it we can get online and fly.
I now have parallels on my Mac for using helicopter tuning software, so i maybe giving Phoenix a try, just to see the difference, take advantage of the many people flying online, and try flying some planes.

Top Bottom