450 What servo for my Pro 450 ?

orbi

Looking for a new tail servo for my Pro 450 , I kinda lost faith in Align and Futaba are way outta my league, Ive been looking at Savox or Tngy, but dont know what would be suitable for my heli as there are so many types etc. I need the numbers ie DS520
Im kinda interested in Tony s suggestion of Tngy MS90s for cyclic but what do you recommend for the tail. I ve got a Pro and the tail has been stupidly designed in that the servo is a right ball ache to service as it is buried in a fixed frame where you cant get the arm and ball on or off etc without taking out the tray. I want to mount this on the tail with a shorter rod what are the pros and cons or can I even do this and can I get a rod to suit? can I re- thread a rod etc.I quite like the idea of being able to adjust the servo and rod easily.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
you can get a servo mount and a push rod for an Align 450 Sport. It wil be a smaller servo size (equal to the DS410 size.. ) but the servo .. I dont know why you dont like align'
s tail servos.. I se the frustration of having to pull the tray every time you gotta pop the link on or off.. (I am not sure why you are having to pop it on or off often.. but regardless.. ) if so.. then I still suggest a good servo .. like the Align ds420 or whatever vcame in the market to replace it.

I ran that setup .. on my FIRST 450.. pro frame with tail mounted servo.. Tony helped me build that.. it was my first EVER bird..

Now please keep in mind this one thing.. even though it might not affect you as much or you might not care about it as much. There is a reason Align 450 pro was designed with a bigger size (500 size) tail servo in its rear end..

1) to handle the high headspeeds and have absolute tail control)
2)bring CG and weight distribution as close to the center of the frame (around the main shaft) as possible
2) to keep it from being too tail heavy or nose heavy .. basically to try to balance the CoG with a 2200mah 3S.

At the hovering stage, or starte stage you might not see any difference .. or much of it anyway.. I would recommend once you go up in your skills, to go to the bigger servo size tucked in the frame as designed.. that said..

to answer your question : Check out align DS420 ..

There is a MKS servo knock off made by turnigy.. its a DS95i knock off. Its plenty fast and powerful for the same size as your cyclic servos.. a bit chattery but is performing well with people on my field.. I ca look for the model number... see if you can google that too..

Last edited:

Westy

LEGEND
align (SAVOX) servos are pretty good...... you can get parts for them .... where a lot of micros do not have part kits for them.

I would stick with the in chassis design for the same reasons as Gabsi stated above.

orbi

Thank you for you troubles guys.
For now while I get hovering and ease of set up im gonna go for a tail mount. Ive spent too long on this one thing in adjusting and readjusting im kinda losing the will to live!. so it the easy tail mount. all I need is some ideas. I need to make the tail rod shorter, how? what do I need to re-do that rod. how do I get the cut rod to link back up to the ball link? does it need rethreading or is there a way of connecting the cut rod to the link. ?

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
dont need to shorten anything. I would just get the TREX 450 Sport tail rod, that'll work with the tail mount. Also the sport tail servo mount. Thats all you will need.

orbi

Wow Cool.. thats what I call cool a guy who knows what stuff goes where, thats the secret of the game eh. Thanks mate again, Im looking at a tail servo for my 450 and have ordered one that is real beefy. its a Servox SH -1290 MG that sucker cost me £55 GDP so it should hold up. Ive had real probs with my Align 520. ive ordered 3x Turnigy 306G for my cyclics at .005 sec they should run smooth. $23 each from HobbyKing, they sell Turnigy 2200 20c for $10 but waiting on stock at the mo. Play safe and thanks Cool...

Westy

LEGEND
here is the V2 Sport tail linkage and slider stabalisers

h45153_1-big.jpg

[video]http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11551__GT450PRO_Metal_Tail_Linkage_Rod_Fin_Band. html[/video]

and the servo holder.....

v2-126(1).jpg

Last edited:

orbi

wow . I really appreciate the trouble youve taken to sort me out. Ive spent half the night wondering how to adjust the ROD on my tail to get it to fit. I need a 280mm rod and Ive noticed that they make attachments / adjusters that fit on the servo arm to hold the rod. They just swivel and are pinched with a screw to hold em. great idea , so im not too bothered now about the length of rod. many thanks again mate. Good luck. oh and I ordered a Savox 1290 coreless for the tail, have I gone over the top ?

orbi

wow ...so ive managed to do something right, makes a change for me! lol well I go *** for a lot less than i first thought ...cost me £42 delivered. Im toying with the idea of putting in some Turnigy 306G for my cyclic and wondering if they ll fit my Pro ? 0.05 sec lightening speed for about $23 at Hobby K

Westy

LEGEND
pull one of your servos ... out and measure it up

The Servo you are talking about is nice and fast...
turnigy306gservo-main.jpg

Weight (g)21
Torque (kg)3
Speed (Sec/60deg)0.06
A(mm)31
B(mm)23
C(mm)28
D(mm)12
E(mm)32
F(mm)20

<tbody>
</tbody>
servoDiag.gif

Comparing this to one I know ..... the big difference is dimension F .... 4mm deeper than the normal servo that fits.

you need to make sure that the servo will fit between the chassis frames.....

you can pack them out though to make them fit .... if they are going back to back and you will need longer screws too ....

I use these to hold them
servoplate-thum.jpg

Last edited:

orbi

Hi mate... I got one more thing to ask. Ive ordered these Tngy 306 and realized 5 min later that I ordered HV high voltage instaed of standards.... will they work on my std system or not ..... ! cheers buddy!!!

Westy

LEGEND
yep ... they will work ..... they are a lot more expensive than the others though..... 23 for the normal and 40 for the HV

Ken Jackson

I'm still having tail wobble in my 450. I am using an Align DS420. I was looking at a 450 kit don't remember which one but it came with DS415's for cyclic and a DS520 for the tail. I ordered the 520 hopefully it solves my problem for good. If not its a backup servo for my 500.

Also my bird is not a Pro so the tail servo mounts on the boom not on a shelve. May not be able to use the 520 on a PRO?

Ken

Westy

LEGEND
I'm still having tail wobble in my 450. I am using an Align DS420. I was looking at a 450 kit don't remember which one but it came with DS415's for cyclic and a DS520 for the tail. I ordered the 520 hopefully it solves my problem for good. If not its a backup servo for my 500.

Also my bird is not a Pro so the tail servo mounts on the boom not on a shelve. May not be able to use the 520 on a PRO?

Ken

Tail wobble? give us a vid to see what you mean ... have you stripped down the tail assembly and checked all is free as silk? did you see my tail tip section in the beginners heli section?
the DS 420 is plenty good enough for the job. have you got your servo ball 7.5 to 8.5mm from the centre screw?

orbi

yep ... they will work ..... they are a lot more expensive than the others though..... 23 for the normal and 40 for the HV

Hi Westy.... nope if you want some of these HV ones they are a dollar more at HobbyK $23.87 I think,and 2200 20c batts are $10.70

Slobberdog

Ken the DS520 is what came in my pro dfc kit and it feels like silk, so yes it's the size for the pro kits.

Top Bottom