450 What Pinion is best for 450 DFC PRO

Ken Jackson

Just picked up a 450 DFC PRO kit. It is minus all electronics but is brand new. I will be removing my align servos from my POS EXI 450. Was a decent helicopter but the metal frame is twisted and it will never fly right. Yeah I know someone will catch me on this since I have said for a while now that the 450 is too small. But I have all the electronics sitting on a busted up helicopter so I couldn't resist. My question is what motor pinion is best for this helicpoter. I'm an intermediant flyer and not afraid to go inverted, flips, rolls and low hover. Not sure if the main gear is helical or standard. Should be here tomorrow or saturday.

Thanks for you opinion!

PS Tony I'll be putting my 3GX from my 500 on this bird and finally after all this time putting the IKon on my 500.

Ken

Tony

Staff member
The pinion is going to depend on what main gear you have. I'm running an 11T helical pinion, I think stock is a 10T. If you are using straight cut, then start off with a 13T.

Tony

Staff member
The 121 is a helical gear. I would start out at 11 which is where I am. It will give you more torque from the motor to the head thus keeping your head speed up in hard moves. I also ordered a 12T pinion, but never even took it out of the package.

Ken Jackson

Thanks Tony, I'll do the calcs once I know for sure if I'm going with a 3800kv or 3500kv motor.

Ken

- - - Updated - - -

The 12t pinion comes with the super combo kit.

Tony

Staff member
Did not know that about the SC kit. I might just toss the 12 on mine then. I'm running the 450MX motor as well, so 3400kv.

Derek

I do hope that you guys keep posting your thoughts on this because I'm patiently awaiting the arrival of my 450 (minus the motor and esc). I'll have something "new to me" to work on...YAY!!!

Ken Jackson

Found a 450MX motor on ebay. $42.99 with free shipping. Coming with a 12t pinion and the motor mounting bracket. I love ebay sometimes.

Ken

Tony

Staff member
That is almost retail, but still under it. Make sure it's 3400kv if you are running 3s or 1700kv for 6s setup. 1700kv doesn't work very well at all on 3s lmao.

Ken Jackson

Yeah it's 3400kv but thanks for the reminder. I'd say it's under retail with the motor bracket and a pinion. Not a ton but I'll take it.

Ken Jackson

One of the DS415M servos off my EXI has a broken tooth so I ordered a gear kit for it and new tape for the 3GX. Only $10 more for a new servo but these have very little flight time on them and I've had good luck rebuilding servos since I started flying. Trying to keep the cost under $200. I think that just put me over. That EXI metal frame sure was twisted. Glad I didn't try to rebuild it. Saved the good stuff the frame is in the trash can. Also found the center of the Tarot torque tube scratched. Weird part is the marks on the tube were about 4" long. I know the bearing caused it but the bearing was moving around that much, hmmm. Never saw an Align torque tube do that.

Ken

Tony

Staff member
You did glue your bearing to the TT shaft, right? If not, drop a very small amount of thin CA in the center of the shaft and smear it around, then slide the bearing into it. This will lock it in place. However, it will not hold forever. Both the Pro clone that I did a video on with the align tail and the Align 450 that I just got back had the bearing not secured to the TT shaft.

Ken Jackson

Good call Tony, I never knew that. My first Helis were all belt drive. when I bought the torque tube upgrade it had no instructions with it. I just learned that had to be glued while building my new 450 DFC PRO. I'm actually reading the manual so to speak. the EXI was the only time I ever saw those marks on the torque. Never happened on my 500.

Ken

Tony

Staff member
I believe you should glue it just off center on the shaft. I just eyeball center, adn I'm sure to be off a little bit lol. Never had a vibration issue yet.

cml001

Well.. I ordered a second... Space them unevenly!... Kinda like the larger model manuals suggest... I forgot where but I read two TT bearing keep vibs down... Haven't had issue so I'm goin with a thumbs up upswing 2. Like Tony said.. Small amour of ca glue... Don't let it stand tall and enter ther bearing when u slide it into the spot.. Let dry.. Push the rubber sleeve over the bearing... Lube the TT(I use bearing oil.. Heard lots of other lube applications... But hell the oil is right on the bench) and slider'r on in..

Tony

Staff member
I have never seen a need for a second bearing, but yes, it would cut down on vibrations if there was one. But with teh limited length of the shaft from the gear to the bearing, there is almost a 0% chance for it to vibrate unless it's been in a crash, or you bent it when putting it in. Which is also unlikely. Let us know how it goes if you run two.

cml001

May be true tony.. The I had rebuilt and fix all my little birds.. And they come RTF.. Built and ready to go... But the 450 was my first kit build and even being a 450.. Not a cheap venture.. So I read... Read.. Read... Watched video... Read.. Read.. Lol.. I didn't wanna screw up or have back up and punt... The second bearing was reveled to me somewhere in all the research.. And I can't say anything about using just the one.. But 2 doesn't hurt!

- - - Updated - - -

Ken that's a good motor too bud! If using an align ESC w gov... Don't use the gov function.. Weak.. Just use a v curve in ur throttle curve transmitter setting.

murankar

Staff member
I have a question on gluing the bearing.

Is green thread locker good for that application?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Top Bottom