General What NOT to do during a contest

Geena

Staff member
Last month, I was at the Triple Creek fall heli classic, competing in their annual F3C contest. My first 3 rounds were almost flawless, and I was feeling really good about my performance. Then came round four. I got through the hovering maneuvers and 3.5 of the aerobatic maneuvers. I went up to perform the stall turn, and that`s when it all went south.

I don`t know why I did this....mini stroke, brain fart, I have no clue. But I went into the stall turn, turned the tail 90 degrees, and then watched my helicopter come straight down in knife edge position..... and hit the ground at about mach 1. Yep..... I destroyed my contest helicopter, because I got stupid for about 10 seconds. LOL... Take a look at the carnage.

It actually looks much worse than it is, and Miniature Aircraft is bringing everything I need to fix it back up, when they get to Orlando next month for the TORCHS winter bash.
I had to finish the contest with my Whiplash nitro......what a disaster the last two rounds with that were. The Whiplash nitro is set up for hard 3D, and was in no way ideal for F3C flying.
Even though I crashed in the fourth round, and did very poorly in the last two rounds.....I still won by a considerable margin.

IMG_3459.jpg

Geena

Staff member
I'm sorry for the mishap but @ my age, I call that a someheimers's moment. I know you, Geena, you'll brush it off and get them the next competition:hdbng:
I had my B model ready to go before the next weekend. Next month I`ll get the parts I need from MA, and then the broken one will become my B model. I still got them though.....even with the crash. ;) This is my new A model, so I`m back in business, and back to getting it done. :)

Attachments

• IMG_3626.jpg
    IMG_3626.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I had my B model ready to go before the next weekend. Next month I`ll get the parts I need from MA, and then the broken one will become my B model. I still got them though.....even with the crash. ;) This is my new A model, so I`m back in business, and back to getting it done. :)
SWEEEET! I knew it wouldn't be long before you're up and flying again :arms:I'll bet your competition had some sign of relief when you were down and out for the time being :wink:
I still got them though.....even with the crash. ;)
:notworthy:

Geena

Staff member
SWEEEET! I knew it wouldn't be long before you're up and flying again :arms:I'll bet your competition had some sign of relief when you were down and out for the time being :wink:

:notworthy:
I was down, but not out. I finished the last two rounds with the nitro. I didn`t get very good scores, but I didn`t take zeros either. Which was all I wanted. The score keeper told me later, that I didn`t even need to fly the last two rounds because I would have won anyway. That`s why I`m getting out of sportsman and moving up to advanced.....or possibly even expert class. I would feel like I was cheating, if I were to stay in sportsman any longer.

RandyDSok

I hate hearing about the crash and certainly understand the feeling as most of us probably do. I'm overwhelmed you still managed the win, that is awesome in and of itself.

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Obviously looks like it hit on the right side, but your right, I've seen worse. I think that speed control is no good, better send it to me.:chuckles::chuckles:.... lmao

Geena

Staff member
I hate hearing about the crash and certainly understand the feeling as most of us probably do. I'm overwhelmed you still managed the win, that is awesome in and of itself.
Crashes happen. I do hate when it`s because I did something stupid though...LOL. Breaking the helicopter isn`t the bad part for me. For me, it`s having to go through the setup process all over again. It takes a lot of time and work, to get one flying well enough to compete with.

Geena

Staff member
Obviously looks like it hit on the right side, but your right, I've seen worse. I think that speed control is no good, better send it to me.:chuckles::chuckles:.... lmao
Yeah it hit flat on the right side, like a pancake....LOL. Thankfully, my speed control is ok. Breaking that thing would have sucked big time. lol.

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Last month, I was at the Triple Creek fall heli classic, competing in their annual F3C contest. My first 3 rounds were almost flawless, and I was feeling really good about my performance. Then came round four. I got through the hovering maneuvers and 3.5 of the aerobatic maneuvers. I went up to perform the stall turn, and that`s when it all went south.

I don`t know why I did this....mini stroke, brain fart, I have no clue. But I went into the stall turn, turned the tail 90 degrees, and then watched my helicopter come straight down in knife edge position..... and hit the ground at about mach 1. Yep..... I destroyed my contest helicopter, because I got stupid for about 10 seconds. LOL... Take a look at the carnage.

It actually looks much worse than it is, and Miniature Aircraft is bringing everything I need to fix it back up, when they get to Orlando next month for the TORCHS winter bash.
I had to finish the contest with my Whiplash nitro......what a disaster the last two rounds with that were. The Whiplash nitro is set up for hard 3D, and was in no way ideal for F3C flying.
Even though I crashed in the fourth round, and did very poorly in the last two rounds.....I still won by a considerable margin.

View attachment 25016
Opps, sorry hit the wrong button meant to a sad face

Geena

Staff member
O WOW! Just noticed your name on the fuselage, now that's class:hdbng::beerchug:
LOL... yeah, I have my name on all of my canopies. I`ve been doing that for a while now. Back when I was a team pilot with Zeal blades, they used to laser engrave my name on every set of blades they sent to me....LOL This set was specially designed for me. CG is a little closer to the root, and the airfoil is a little different to give them more bite.

IMG_3888.jpgIMG_3889.jpg

Top Bottom