General What is the difference between aerobatics and 3D?

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
Is it what differentiates Alan Szabor Jr from Tareq Alsadi ? Whose style do you prefer?

Last edited:
If I had to answer this question, I would say that aerobatics is things that you could actually get away with doing in a real helicopter. So inverted flying and hurricanes etc I would say are part of 3D but stalls and climbs and piros are more aerobatics.
That would be the way i would differentiate the two.

Tony

Staff member
If I were to answer the "title" question, then I would say aerobatics are very smooth controlled aerobatic flight. Like stall turns (hammer heads), large hurricanes, and pretty much precision flight like IMAC with planes. 3D is more "Smack". Take the heli and beat the ever loving hell out of it, but in a controlled manner.

As for the "post" question... Alan all the way. The other guy is just to pompous IMO.

Lee

Sport or Acrobatics is everything a heli can do that a plane can. 3D is everything else that incorporates multi axial manoeuvres.
Tareq is unquestionable the King of insane 3D smack, but thats not all there is to flying helis. I think Alan's flying is more visually appealing.
As for who is the best.....
NICK MAXWELL by a mile.

Tony

Staff member
The definition of 3D that I heard (for planes anyway) is "Flying below stall speed". Like prop hangs, harrier and so on.

RandyDSok

The definition of 3D that I heard (for planes anyway) is "Flying below stall speed". Like prop hangs, harrier and so on.

This is basically what 3D refers too... It originates with airplanes and refers to when you are flying on the prop as opposed to using just the wing for the primary lift... ie the wing is stalled and the power of the prop is what is holding it up. Loops, rolls and spins fall under the aerobatic term but obviously are going to also be part of 3D flight as well. Over time, the term has morphed into more than it what it started out as and is used much more loosely.

With heli's... the term is a bit more in the grey area simply because the prop is the wing ( ie a rotating one but still a wing )... but a little common sense can help define the maneuvers that would be called 3D... like pirouettes, tick-tocks and the like.

Lee

Tick tocks wouldn't be considered 3D in a lot of peoples eyes. But a Big Ben would, as its a pirouetting tick tock stopping at each point of the clock. Or a tick tock with a half roll in the middle.
A loop is Sports flying, but a pirouetting loop is 3D
As i mentioned earlier 3D for Helis is any manoeuvre the involves multiple axis moves (stick stirring) Everything else is big air/sport flying.
I'm a 3D pilot.
Destroy heli, Dial hobby store, Debit card

RandyDSok

I don't feel that a maneuver requires multi axis to be referred as a 3D one... take an airplane performing a harrier or a hover which are both considered 3D and are not in multiple axis. IT IS when the airframe is not being lifted by it's "wing"

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
Thanks for your insight, guys. So the term "3D" originated from RC airplanes. And its meaning seems to have evolved beyond its origin.

I think we need find 3 words starting with D that embody the very essence of this sport. Lee's 3 Ds is a good start :D

As far as style reference, put me in Alan's camp.

The other guy is good, but too chaotic. I learn little watching him fly.

Last edited:

RandyDSok

We are talking about helicopters, not planes.

Then I suspect we'll have to disagree... I'm talking about flight in general... the term ( as being discussed ) and it's definition did originate with planes so I see no reason to alter the definition since it can easily apply to both fixed and rotating winged aircraft...

Tony

Staff member
Don't make me turn the hose on you two lmao. I love how conversations on this forum get heated.

Lee

:D LOL I was just going by the original post, talking about Alan and Tareq. I have no doubt You are right Randy, about 3D in relation to planes, no disagreement from me on that, just crossed wires on what this thread was about.

Top Bottom