450 What is Governor mode and can someone educate me

Well, now that I have progressed in my flying skill, oh yeah, I fly inverted know too, I would like to know what Governor mode is.
My understanding is that it's a fixed rpm, and I just can't get it in my mind the difference between Governor and Idle-Up. Well you see guys, not that bright on that one.

Lee

Think of it like cruise control in a car.
Whether the car is going uphill, downhill or flat, the engine maintains the set speed of the car.
The Gov does the same on the Heli. It tries to keep the set RPM of the rotor blades.
Adjusting the power to the motor in order to do this.
Idle Up will just give you the set % but won't make adjustments against the torque, so RPM will fluctuate.

Tony

Staff member
Lee hit it on the head. Governor will automatically adjust the power from the motor to keep your head at one speed. Idle up is like putting a brick on your gas pedal. Yeah, you will keep going, but going up hill (adding pitch) you will lose speed, and going down hill (subtracting pitch) you will gain too much speed. ,

Thank you Lee, that makes things more easier to understand.
I remember that I saw something called Governor when I used to fly a Jet Ranger with my uncle in the army, but didn't care at that time, Hahaha.

Tony, thank you, as always your never to far away.
One thing though.
I looked on youtube on the YEP programming video that you made, and have searched on youtube and on the forum for YEP governor.
Do you have a video where you like in other videos explain things and set it up?
If not, are you planning on making one?

Thanx guys, this forum rocks

Tony

Staff member
I never did make a YEP governor video. I couldn't get mine to work correctly. I might do one on a nitro, but that would be able it unless I get a large electric helicopter.

murankar

Staff member
before you go gov mode just make sure you have a solid tail setup. The gov will screw with the tail till the gov is setup and tuned correctly.

murankar

Staff member
Sorry man had to add my 2 cents :lol:.

Seriously though the tail needs to be locked solid before turning on the gov. If the tail is solid and after turning on the gov the tail acts funky then you know it's the gov.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Top Bottom