Spektrum What is DSM2/DSMX?

amastron

I'm new to this all and just bought a DX9 transmitter and was wondering what DSM2 and DSMX means? Just what does the DSMX stand for?
I am told both DSM2 and DSMX receivers will work with my transmitter, how can I tell the difference between them?
This is probably a dumb question to you guys but I would like to know what DSMX stands for. Any help on this is appreciated in deed!

Thanks!

Lee

Its just the evolution of Spektrums Radio Frequency system.
DSM>DSM2>DSMX is the latest
As DSMX is the latest protocol it is backward compatible with DSM2
So as you said your DX9 will work with DSM2 and the most up to date version DSMX receivers
But a DSM2 Radio will not work with a DSMX receiver.

No idea what it stands for though :D

Slobberdog

I believe it's digital spread modulation,

Dsm2 when you turn your receiver on it picks the 2 best channels and uses 1 as primary if it loses signal with the primary it will go to the secondary, f that does not work properly it will shut down,

Dsmx is always looking for a good signal,

You can use a dsmx sat with a dsm2 radio but the sat only uses dsm2 protocols,

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I believe it's digital spread modulation,

Dsm2 when you turn your receiver on it picks the 2 best channels and uses 1 as primary if it loses signal with the primary it will go to the secondary, f that does not work properly it will shut down,

Dsmx is always looking for a good signal,

You can use a dsmx sat with a dsm2 radio but the sat only uses dsm2 protocols,

Thank you slobberdog for that information. I was wondering about the different between the 2 sat my self? Just in case I'm in the market for a sat. So the sat that always looking for signal is better then the one that finds the best two signal or visa verse?

bbj

I made sure my receiver could recognize DSMX sats but was wondering if its better to set them to 11ms or use 22ms. I currently have mine set to 11ms.

Admiral

The simplest but most explanatory definition I have seen Plagiarized from another site.

DSMX is basically two layers of multi-access techiques.

DSM2 is based on something called CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access). In simple term, this means two things: 1) The signal is spread out over a wider frequency band and 2) each transmitter/receiver pair uses it's own coding scheme to "scramble" the signal. The coding schemes are designed in such a way that even if two stations are transmitting on the same frequency, the respective signals can still be isolated by the receivers, thanks to the coding schemes.

CDMA is great, because it's resilient to static, interference and other transmitters transmitting on the same frequency. However, there's a limit to how many stations can transmit on the same frequency before the signal gets too diluted to be successfully isolated by the receiver.

So DSM2 employs a simple scheme to try to avoid this. When starting up, the transmitter tries to find two free frequencies and starts transmitting. The receiver is scanning the frequencies for the unique signature of its paired transmitter. Once found, the receiver locks in and you have a working link. DSM2 uses two separate channels, so if one gets knocked out by interference, the other channel may still be usable. The problem is that the channel allocation happens on transmitter startup, so if both channels become unusable at some later point in the flight, you may still lose the link.

And that's why DSMX was designed. DSMX essentially uses the same encoding scheme as DSM2, but the frequency changes thousands of times per second according to a pseudo-random sequence negotiated between the transmitter and receiver. Even if some channels used become completely saturated and unusable, it would normally only result in cut-outs a couple of milliseconds, which would be too short to even notice (in theory).

...and that's pretty much how it works!

Tony

Staff member
Only use 11ms if you are using digital servos. And if you are using just satellites with the 3GX, then I'm sorry to say, you are stuck with DSM2 as that is all that the 3GX can handle.

bbj

That's the reason I added the ar9020 receiver I got with my DX9 Tony. For the simple reason my 3gx will not recognize DSMX and I wanted that mode for reliability and safety plus I can set my heli to 11ms.

amastron

What are you setting to 11 Ms and 22 Ms, the transmitter or the receiver? And thank you all for the information, its much clearer now.

Top Bottom