500 What is better 500 or 550?, build ideas/ component list?

zapster

tony your right all the washout ,mixing and metal tail are worth the CMT i never did mention when the 500 rolled over and died
guess what else broke ?THE TAIL CASE ! Ordered a new one yesterday,other than that i still this heli flys killer.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Yes, I do see these combos and they are SWEET deals.. What both breeze and lee mentioned....

Ok... So this is the way I am doing it right now.. Call me names. (it's ok lol)

I am gonna be operating in a very limited budget.. Still I wanna put good quality stuff in it... I am deal hunting, going part by part, haven't. Bought anything yet, but, just seeing what all that will add up to. I found a very good bl500mx for 50, and rce60a esc for 45.. Gp780 is 45.. Cyclic Servos is what I might go
New.. Thatll be about 130 plus tail will be about 50 more..

Now I am thinking this out loud.. Never calculated this before... Trying to see what it'll add up to..

Kit from HK is 100 plus shipping.. (20)

Adds up to: 460 lol ;P

So yeah.. Going though all that, I could just get those deals that you gave me.. Haha.. you guys are right...

But then this 500 is nowhere close.. Even after I sell this 450 I'll need abut 200+ .. don't know if I will be able to do that.. Haha...

Anywaz..

Are these deals like deals with expiration? Or this is the price.. Cause ron's heli pro had it for more expensive...

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
GABA I am who found the one for $476. Look at the last page!! This is for a plane Jane align 500. Not the exp. The exp is the hopped up heli with TT tail. The one for $476 is the belt drive. The one your looking at at rons is probably a newer pro model? Not the same one. I would not wait on this. They do not have very many left. It's probably a discontinued model. You won't be able to get one for this price ever again! Beg borrow or steal to get it.

http://www.experiencerc.com/store/t-rex_500e_super_combo_kx017014-p-8722.html

Last edited:

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
GABA I am who found the one for $476. Look at the last page!! This is for a plane Jane align 500. Not the exp. The exp is the hopped up heli with TT tail. The one for $476 is the belt drive. The one your looking at at rons is probably a newer pro model? Not the same one. I would not wait on this. They do not have very many left. It's probably a discontinued model. You won't be able to get one for this price ever again! Beg borrow or steal to get it.

Experience RC

They are located in Detroit, mi. This is where I bought my 600. Nice people!

madrat

Thinking about a EXI 500 Carbon Edition heli, and was wondering if you guy's could give my your thoughts on what for electronics would be good for this build so I can see how much I may have wrapped up in it? Already have the gyro picked out, Detrum GY48V HH 3D, and am going to try the Turnigy 9x for a tx. So if you guys could suggest rx, motor/esc, and servos, that would be great. Don't want to spend a fortune, but at the same time, want decent components.
Thanks and happy landings to all.
Steve

Tony

Staff member
The Turnigy 930 servos worked pretty good on my 500. Make sure your BEC is big enough though to handle the amp draw. The one that is in the HK ESC is not enough, and made my servos slow as crap. But once I put a new ESC on it (you could put a bec instead) they came to life. Run the Align DS530 on the tail though. And I would suggest the Align 780 gyro for the tail as well. If you want to spend money, spend it in the tail.

madrat

Thanks Tony, got ya, but got a stupid question, what do you mean by BEC? So the GY48V isn't good enough for a 500 I take it? If I build this thing, it will be over the winter because I want to do it right (and $) has some to do with that lol, so will be buying a little at a time, so If I do and you can bear with me to help, that would be cool. Thanks

Tony

Staff member
Bec is the Battery eliminating circuit. Meaning it will get rid of the Rx pack. Smaller esc's will have it built in, but the big ones won't.

The gy48v is a good gyro, and it will do the job. But if you have the money, get better.

And don't worry, I will be here to help if you need it.

madrat

Got it, thanks Tony. Ordered the 500, will be here Dec.2nd, and the Gy48v was only $9, black Friday special lol. guess I can always change that later. Guess it's time to search for what all I want to put into this build. Going out today and try and get a hover out of my 4f200, tried yesterday, but when she started to lift off, she just flipped over to the left with no cyclic input. Swash is level and pitch is good, so not sure what to check. Nicked the blades a little, and broke a servo horn, but replaced the horn and am ready to give it another shot. Have to Load tomorrow (Monday) and head to Texas, so won't be on quite as much lol.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
If you look on helifreak classifieds you'll find gp780's for 45-50 bucks and servos for 20-25 for tail.. Those are good! Just be a ware who you buy from, read their feedback and all. But still that will give you a rock solid tail..

Hey you coming to TEXAS! LET'S MEET UP! ;) jk lol

madrat

Thanks bro, I will check it out. Still waiting for my call to go load. I usually go to Houston, but once and awhile I get to Garland, Ft. Worth, and Stephenville. Sitting here trying to figure out why on my 4f200 the swash slowly tilts to one side at mid stick, and if i give it one click of trim either way it go's to far. Then when it's slanted and I go to zero stick it jerks back level. Need a morning smoke, since it's afternoon here, maybe that will help, lol

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Thanks bro, I will check it out. Still waiting for my call to go load. I usually go to Houston, but once and awhile I get to Garland, Ft. Worth, and Stephenville. Sitting here trying to figure out why on my 4f200 the swash slowly tilts to one side at mid stick, and if i give it one click of trim either way it go's to far. Then when it's slanted and I go to zero stick it jerks back level. Need a morning smoke, since it's afternoon here, maybe that will help, lol

honestly I donot know how you will eliminate that except for checking individual channels. and seeing if your subtrim on the FBL got messed up or something. and if its just tilting on itself... thats interesting.. lol ( all I can say)

but also, I know this because I just installed a flybarless 3 axis system on one of my helis and I think your heli is fbl too. .... TRIMS donot Do any good to the heli after once its turned off. What I mean by this is.. every time you turn it on, you will trim by may be one click... then you will turn it off and restart it, the gyro will take over and "center" or say "zero" everything out again (to what IT thinks is normal) .. and you will again have to trim one tab.. and again the story will repeat.. trims are really not that useful. You would be better off using subtrims and seeing if it works better..

hope it helps! :)

madrat

Thanks for the info coolgabsi, will see what I can get figured out. maybe I will have better luck when I get a better tx Yes both mine and the wife's are fbl and her's doesn't do that, (we have the same tx) so leads me to think something is wrong with the rx or tx, but I'm just guessing. Loading up the truck and heading to Mansfield, TX

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
mansfield is like a stone's throw from here. I actually go to a flying field there.. lol .. anywaz... hope you have fun...

And try to bind your heli to her tx or vice versa and see what happens... that'll eliminate whats wrong and what not. :)

madrat

Always fun lol. Yeah, thought it was funny that I usually go to Houston, but this time they give me one coming so close to you. I will give that a try, good idea, thanks!!

Ghostflyer1

Madrat
Im jaded now but I will say this, you do not want to skimp on the gyro on a 500. The gy48v will hold ok in forward flight but I found it tends to try to blow out in backwards flight. I have used 2nd hand JR770's and Futaba GY520's and They are both very tight. With the FBL conversions going on you can get these gyros if you shop the forums for as low as 65.00 I personally think the GY520 holds a little better but I have never had any problems with either. I myself am now on the FBL train so I may have another JR770 here shortly. Beauty is Im in Houston so you could pick one up :D

madrat

Hey Ghostflyer, thanks for the info, I will let you know next time I'm headed to Houston. Most of the time I'm down every week.

Top Bottom