General 'What headspeed should i use?' Excel calculator tool

Smoggie

I posted the first version of this tool in another thread but I've been doing a bit more work on the tool and validating against a few more data points from various helis. It's hopefully not far off now for the common range of heli sizes.

This tool is not intended to do the same job as any existing headspeed calc such as 'MrMel'. The idea of this calculator is that it will give you a good idea of the REQUIRED headspeed that you will need to fly a certain size (and weight) of heli in your desired flight style (scale / sport / 3D etc). So you use this tool to work out what headspeed you want, and then you can use the likes of 'MrMel' to calculate what pinion /motor kV/Throttle curve etc that you will need to achieve that RPM.

V1.2 of the tool download links below:

Excel: Download - Hightail
OpenOffice: Download - Hightail

Screenshot:
ScreenHunter_23 Sep. 09 13.08.jpg

Please let me know how it works and if it gives accurate results compared to what headspeed you use on your own helis. The more data points I have the better the tool can be 'tweaked'.

Steve

ScreenHunter_23 Sep. 09 13.08.jpg

trainrider06

dang sorry Steve I meant to check this out a week ago, but then once I got on the computer I realized I needed to order a couple of CF control rods for my 450L for spares, then I couldn't remember where I got em from, then I thought I should go check this app out, then I remembered where I got my control rods from, so then I ordered em, then I realized I needed to pick up some aluminum upgrade parts for this Blade 400 project I have, then I got on here, forgot what the hell I was gonna do, so then I remembered I had to check on some stuff I was selling on ebay, then I remembered I needed to check out some upgrade parts for the 400 project, and now I finally got on here and checked this out....LOL Man its just like walking around the house from room to room wondering why the heck I am in the room but remembering I forgot to get something else outta that room, it just transfers to the computer and web pages I reckon.....:(
Not a bad thing to get one in the ball park I think! It seem to read about the same as I am supposed to be at I think.....but what about pinion size?? That can throw the calculations out pretty good depending on the pinion size...maybe add that into the mix??

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
dang sorry Steve I meant to check this out a week ago, but then once I got on the computer I realized I needed to order a couple of CF control rods for my 450L for spares, then I couldn't remember where I got em from, then I thought I should go check this app out, then I remembered where I got my control rods from, so then I ordered em, then I realized I needed to pick up some aluminum upgrade parts for this Blade 400 project I have, then I got on here, forgot what the hell I was gonna do, so then I remembered I had to check on some stuff I was selling on ebay, then I remembered I needed to check out some upgrade parts for the 400 project, and now I finally got on here and checked this out....LOL Man its just like walking around the house from room to room wondering why the heck I am in the room but remembering I forgot to get something else outta that room, it just transfers to the computer and web pages I reckon.....:(
Not a bad thing to get one in the ball park I think! It seem to read about the same as I am supposed to be at I think.....but what about pinion size?? That can throw the calculations out pretty good depending on the pinion size...maybe add that into the mix??

Your lie, tell it any way you want Rodney Lol. It's called old age with me. Trying to remember to many things at once. By the way...What are we talking about any way, Lol

Smoggie

.....but what about pinion size?? That can throw the calculations out pretty good depending on the pinion size...maybe add that into the mix??

Thanks for giving the tool a try Rodney.

Bear in mind that this tool is only estimating what headspeed you should use to fly a certain size/weight of heli in a certain flight style. It's not attempting to specify what hardware (motor/battery/pinion etc) that you need to achieve that headspeed. That's why there are no options for battery type, motor Kv, main gear or pinion size like you would see in (for example) the 'MrMel' headspeed calculator.

The problem with the existing calculators is that they tell you what headspeed your heli is mechanically capable of achieving but they dont tell you if that is the correct RPM to fly the heli the way you want.

My thought is that the two tools work together. You can use this tool to estimate what headspeed you need so that the heli performs well for your chosen flight style, then you use MrMel to work out what motor kV and pinion you need to achieve that headspeed.

Smoggie

Phil, good to hear that the tool seems to be working. the more data points I have the more i can tweak it to give accurate results. On that very subject here's a new version of the tool, I found a glitch with V1.2 that effected larger helis when using the weight input option:

V1.3:

Attachments

• headspeeds_V1.3.zip
    14.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Top Bottom