Batteries What Battery Connector Do You Use?

What Battery Connector Do You Use?

• Deans (the real Deans)

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • XT60

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • EC3

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

Tony

Staff member
For some reason that link is pulling up a blank page. Could be my internet.

And Frank, forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, but those T-Connectors are just knockoff's of Deans. Hobbyking paid for them, so they are sending them to me lmao.

Whirlybird

Link worked for me . . . When you reach 60 Tony, you try not to look for the obvious . . . It's more adventurous that way :)

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, it's my internet. This really sucks. @Link or HughesNet are my only two options out here where I live. Hughes is just so friggin expensive and if a bird pees on the dish, I lose signal. @Link is one issue after another here lately.

And Frank, I'm already there and I'm half your age lmao.

RandyDSok

@Link uses a wireless connection... try power cycling the wireless router and any hubs you may have connected. Because I hate to have to do it twice... the following are the general steps I take when something like a connection issue comes up...

Power down all computers... power down any hubs... power down your router ( if you have a cable/dsl modem this is when you would power that down, but doesn't apply here ). Wait about 10-15 seconds and power up the router ( dsl/cable modem if using one followed by the router ) and let all of it's lights "settle out"... power up any hub you may have and finally the computers.

The above steps will resolve most issues that are not connection or hardware related.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, have taken all of those steps. The issue is not with the home network, it's with the North Purcell Tower. I'm thinking there is something that didn't like the year going from 2012 to 2013 because as soon as January hit, I started having issues. And to make it worse, I live in a little valley, and have to bounce off of a micro cell that is on another house. But again, it's one of two options that I have living the quiet life out here lol.

Derek

Yeah, because of this threqd, I'm starting to rethink which connectors to use on my 20 foot wingspan plane.

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
I have been using 4 mm banana plugs with 34 mm red sleeve. These look cheap and ugly but I am so used to using them since the first packs I bought from Hobbypartz.com

Too lazy ( and too late) to switch.

Tony

Staff member
Never too late to switch. The lazy part, I can't help with lmao.

I'm still not sure what connector I'm going to end up with. I have a LOT of 2s packs that have the XT60's on them, but my other packs have Deans. So like many, I'm still torn. Trying to keep an open mind.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I Love deans.. esp they are the cheapest too.. but .. I just put EC5's on my 700 and man they re really good! esp you dont get expoed to spark of the bigger batteries while connecting .. and wasy to solder.

I am definitely still gonna keep my deans on the smaller stuff but all big batteries are going to be EC5 :D

Tony

Staff member
I'm really thinking about trying out all 3. As stated before, I have a package of "T-Connectors" on the way. I may order some XT60's and some EC3's and just make up some adapters so that I can use all of them. Would be a good way to test them out anyway. Well, if I was ever able to get out and fly that is lmao.

xokia

I'm really thinking about trying out all 3. As stated before, I have a package of "T-Connectors" on the way. I may order some XT60's and some EC3's and just make up some adapters so that I can use all of them. Would be a good way to test them out anyway. Well, if I was ever able to get out and fly that is lmao.

When I first responded to this thread I hadn't tried the EC3's. My 300x came with EC3's and I do not like them, they are just a pain to get together and get apart. Maybe I got a bad set I dont know. The XT60's go together not super easy but I dont have to struggle to get them apart or put them together. When I had them on the 300x I was affraid I was going to rip the wires out of the ESC or battery. Just grabbing the plug I would have never gotten them apart.

The deans I would trust on equipment on the ground where if they came apart no big deal. I know people use them in there helicopters succesfully all the time. I just feel safer with something a little more snug and the XT60 fills that role perfectly.

Tony

Staff member
The Deans should be snug and not that easy to get apart. If they are easy to get apart, then someone has melted the casing while soldering and moved the pin. I know my Deans are pretty darn tight and sometimes hard to unplug.

xokia

The Deans should be snug and not that easy to get apart. If they are easy to get apart, then someone has melted the casing while soldering and moved the pin. I know my Deans are pretty darn tight and sometimes hard to unplug.
I have them on my savage they are snug but not anywhere near as snug as a set of XT60's. I dont find the deans hard to unplug at all. The weight of the battery alone could unplug them. I know my XT60's can hold the weight of a 3S 5000mAh without coming unpluged.

Might be a good test if you have a bunch of connectors laying around.Connect 2 sets of plugs together and then hang some weight from the other end and see how much weight it takes to unplug each connector.

Last edited:

RandyDSok

While reading many different post on this very subject I found an interesting side note to the "connector war" ...

No one seems to agree which connector is easier to pull apart. In one post a person will say they like the Deans because they were the easiest for them... then another person will select the EC3... on another it will be the XT60. Myself, I didn't find any one to be significantly easier enough for that to be a deciding factor.

Top Bottom