Batteries What Battery Connector Do You Use?

What Battery Connector Do You Use?

• Deans (the real Deans)

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • XT60

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • EC3

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

Tony

Staff member
I wanted to get a thread started on what battery connector you use. I DO NOT want this turning into a flame war on what connector is best, i'm looking for information.

I myself use Deans connectors and I have used them for years. It's pretty much all I used. When I raced cars and trucks, I used Deans until I started soldering the wires directly to the battery for the least amount of resistance. I finally got lazy and just started using bullet connectors like you would use on your motor, but one end soldered directly to the battery.

I know that Matt (callsign) uses EC3 connectors and he likes them because they are pretty much bullet connectors with a holder. You solder them like you would with a motor, then push them in the blue "holder" and they lock in. What I don't like about them is 1. the looks, they just look cheap and 2. I would like to be able to unsolder them at some point and with these, it's very hard to get them back out of the case.

Other members are using XT60's. I have used these before and they are okay. I have MANY 2s batteries with these connectors already on them and any of the Turnigy batteries that you order will come with these. So no more soldering for batteries. You can not however remove the pins, but you CAN unsolder the wires pretty easily for when you taco that pack in a crash and want to save the end.

So how 'bout it, what connector do you use and why? Make sure to click your suggestion in the poll above. I'm looking to convert all of my plugs to something else just to give it a try. It's time I try something before hating it lol. If you want another plug posted in the poll, them post it up and let me know and I will add it. Post up!

Derek

I guess I'll start this off. I use Dean's plugs. I don't really have a reason why I use them except that when I bought my Trex 500, the guy at my LHS gave me a set of Deans plugs. I just keep using them because it's what I'm familiar with. Dean's plugs are a bit tricky at times to solder (my opinion) but I haven't had any failures that were caused from my soldering on the Dean's plugs. They have worked for me this far and I'll probably just continue to use them.

RandyDSok

I use Deans for the simple reason that they are so common among other flyers and we can share packs if the need arises...

I actually believe that EC3's are technically a little better than a Deans, in fact when I started that is what I chose... the above reason was the only one that made me decide to switch.

xokia

I use deans on my savage cause that's what the speed control came with. I use the XT60 on my 450 because that's what came with the battery. Any of my other batteries mcpx/130x I also just use the stock connector .

No particular reason for my choices other than the connector already on there handles the current just fine. And it saves me from soldering new connectors on each time I buy a battery.

murankar

Staff member
I use deans because that is what was suggested. Now my first 3 batteries (gensace) came with banana plugs.

Not sure if I am going to change at this time but if I do it will be ec3.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I use a mixture of deans, bullet connecters, and the one with the blue covers with billets inside. I use traxxas plugs too. They are actually the easiest to solder and use. My 600 batteries the wire is a very large gauge wire. So I couldn't use deans on them. That's where the bullets come in at first.

callsign4223

Staff member
I like the ec3 because they are

1. Easy to solder.
2. Use a tight friction connection so I don't have to worry about wearing out springs.
3. Both ends are fully enclosed leaving ZERO chance of shorts.
4.more of a technicality, but they have more surface area for contact allowing higher amp rating.
5. While being tight, they are still relatively easy to plug and unplug.
6. Nobody counterfeits them yet. And even if they did I can't see how they could screw them up short of using thinner metal for the bullet connectors.
7. Relatively cheap.

All that being said, I can't personally say they are better because I made my choice when I first got in the hobby and haven't looked back.

Graham Lawrie

I use XT60 and Deans, but clicked Deans as i have more. I am finding however that the XT60,s are very hard to pull apart.

Tony

Staff member
You are right about that Graham, they are VERY tight. And it's not the metal plug that's tight, it's the plastic. If it was smooth, it would be better. But since it has a texture to it, it likes to grab the other part and not want to let go.

Graham Lawrie

I really struggled to get them apart with one hand, my right hand is weak just now with tennis elbow, and trigger finger, so that dosent help. I was thinking of going to Deans or EC3 for ease of use, but i agree with you EC3 look cheap

Tony

Staff member
As I stated in the first post, I have used Deans religiously since I have been in the hobby. The ONLY drawback to them is the price. They are quite a bit more expensive than the other "cheap" plugs out there, but I have NEVER had one fail. Even when I was playing around with some 4 turn modified motors when I was racing, they never got hot. I have melted a couple soldering them, but once I learned how to do it, it was cake from then on.

Hell, they even have a switch now that you can buy that is made with a deans plug! I have thought about putting this on my big edge, and I may even put it on All of my planes and heli's if I can get enough of them ordered.

Tasajara

Well, I use the XT60's and Deans on anything less than 60 amps , 3s or less. XT60 just because most of the batteries have them that come from HK.... But if I am flying my Wings 0r my 3000watt funjet and a cell count 4s and above.
The 5.5mm bullets work best for me. They have a better connection for high voltage and current. I think they are rated to 100+amps some even 150amp.
Where Deans, XT60 and the EC3's are all around 60 amps.

I made a arming switch for my large Rascal 110 using bullets and Spark Eliminator circuit. That way on my 9s 5000mAh pack I didn't get that big arc when the esc caps were charging. Plus it keeps me away from the prop when the power system is powered up.

1-Rascal 110.jpg

3-Rascal 110.jpg

Arming switch 1.jpg

Arming switch 3.jpg

arming switch 4.jpg

arming switch 5.jpg

arming switch 6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Deans all the way..

Even on 130x I have micro deans..

So yes I am a fan :)

Just soldered all my 8 and 10 gauge wires in the 700 to deans too.. That was a ton of fun :)

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

callsign4223

Staff member
Ohhhh man Gaba, I don't know if I would trust deans on that 700. They are only rated for 50-60 amps and surely that 700 draws more than that.

RandyDSok

The following while directed at and is made because of Deans plugs, a lot of it actually applies to all connector types.

Deans plugs ( both micro and ultra ) are actually not rated at all ... see Deans - Plugs ... you won't find one page or reference to their ratings anywhere. In fact if you call them and talk to an engineer, they also won't give you a rating.

All of the ratings you hear for them are from either others in the industry or the users themselves. Deans position on this is that there are actually too many factors besides just the plug itself that go into a true rating... How well the joints are soldered, what size and quality of the wires that are used as well as the duty cycle of the load itself will all determine what the actual rating should be.

Everything I've read about what their rating could be estimated at vary anywhere from 40a up to 60a. Many users have used them in situations where the loads are up to 100a ( and a handful have gone over 100a ) without the connector/wire even getting too warm.

A lot of the reason for the wide variations given in ratings come from the fact that we will seldom fly anything at 100% load for any length of time. I know that for myself, I seldom go over 75% except for short bursts and I probably average something close to 66%. Of course, my estimations are based on the fact that I only glimpse at my radio every now and then and guess where I am the rest of the time.

Ideally, in electronics, you will select a connector that can handle 100% of the load that is expected for 100% of the time... The truth is, since we don't commonly run at 100% of the load all of the time since we'd risk burning out our motors... most of the good connectors that we use can handle loads that exceed their rated values for the brief times that we actually reach that 100% load the circuits can go to.

I'm not recommending that we commonly exceed using a connector in situations that exceed their ratings... I'm just explaining why you will often hear about a connector working well in those situations despite their rated values that we are given.

Lee

I started with XT60s. But after getting irritated by how hard they were to unplug i switched. For those of you using XT60s, and for tht matter any of the connectors, heres a tip to keep them from getting tight. When soldering, plug the two halves together to keep them aligned. The plugs can move otherwise, as the plastic heats up, making them harder to plug/unplug.
Deans again i found hard to unplug being so small.
I use EC3s on everything except my 600 that has EC5s. I don't think they look cheap, but the plastic on the XT60 does look more solid. I do think they are the easiest to solder. They don't need any shrink tubing if you cut the wire right. And you can take them apart again if you have a vice. They are very easy the plug/unplug.
To each his own.
Oh and if i need to use any body else's batteries, i have two EC3 to XT60/Deans adaptors in my flight box :D And on my QAV500 Quad i have two bullet plug with no cover, so i can use my EC3s and my friend XT60 batteries.

attachment.php

100_3151.jpg

100_3151.jpg

Last edited:

glov351

i started with dean plugs but changed to xt90 yes xt90 they are alittle more heat resistance and are rated at up to 90 amps

Tasajara

Lee....GOOD TIP>>> That is what I always do, it also pulls heat away from the joint I soldered.
If I do get one that is tight , I have a connector that has just a small amount of strapping tape on it so it is an even tighter fit.
With A few passes of my heat gun and it will expand the housing just enough to make it slide apart easier.
I only pull it apart once it cools. The overheating of the bullets draws the housing in on the male connector.

Tony

Staff member
Randy, you da man bro. Couldn't have explained it any better myself. I have never had an issue with Deans heating up. If you have a good soldering iron and know how to solder them quickly without heating them up, they will work great.

When I was racing Rc cars, and running deans, I was often going over 100a when racing circle track. And as you know, you lift slightly in the turns, and it's balls to the wall on the straights. All race which was 5 minutes straight. And the lower the voltage, the more amps you are pulling. I love my Deans and after reading all of this, I think I'm going to cut all of the XT60's off the 2s batteries (unless someone wants to buy them... they are for sale) and solder deans on EVERYTHING! Need to take out a quick loan against my truck first though lmao.

Top Bottom