600 What and which motor do I need

sgtray

I have a very old TREX600. It's about 9 years old and it has a inrunner motor. I think the motor is bad. Which motor do I chg it with? They all seem to be out runners. Will an out runner work for me? Where do I find a inrunner?

Smoggie

Inrunners for helis are rare as hen's teeth these days. As a general rule outrunners have lower Kv so with spin slower. I think the original motor in your heli is most likely the Align 600XL 1650KV, you will struggle to find an outrunner motor of large enough size with such a high Kv value. You may be able to change the gearing to accept a lower Kv motor but I'm not sure what the compatibility of parts will be between your heli and the more modern versions.

sgtray

Darn, darn darn and darn! well the t600's are now running ALIGN 600MX Brushless Motor(510KV) RCM-BL600MX. Do you think I could get it to fit? in my old frame?

Smoggie

Darn, darn darn and darn! well the t600's are now running ALIGN 600MX Brushless Motor(510KV) RCM-BL600MX. Do you think I could get it to fit? in my old frame?

Not easily, that's a motor designed for 12S batteries, RPM would be far too low on 6S so to use that motor you would have at the very least to convert to 12S, which would also need an new ESC. Even then you would still have to change the gearing.

You may get away with the 1220Kv version of the 600MX which is intended for 6S operation. You would probably also have to fit a larger pinion to get adequate headspeed, what size is the pinion that's fitted?

An outrunner will be larger in diameter too, do you have enough clearance between the motor and the frame to fit a wider motor in?

Last edited:

sgtray

nope their isn't enuff room to put a larger dia motor. I don't know the pinion ether. but I could get it. I'm a truck driver and I'm away from home at the moment. When I built it I used all req parts and align motor and esc bec. Darn darn darn.

Smoggie

Maybe your best option is to fix the motor you have. So what makes you think it's faulty.

sgtray

Maybe your best option is to fix the motor you have. So what makes you think it's faulty.
So sorry I didn't get back. Being a Driver and getting sick of the heli issues. But I had some time to get into it. It turned out it was the ESC. I got it back to the shop and they changed it out for a eflight 80 and checked it all and even hovered it. So I'm up and about again!! Thanks for trying to help me though. It was your question that made me go back and look. You saved my bird!

Smoggie

Good that you got it working. Brushless motors usually are very reliable things because they are so simple (just some copper wire a few magnets and a couple of bearings). ESC's on the other hands are very complicated, so nine times out of ten it will be the ESC.

Top Bottom