What A Year In Oklahoma!

Tony

Staff member
So far, we have had the most snow fall in a 24 hour period, the coldest temps, the highest winds, EF5 tornadoes, Highest number of days over 100*F, Largest hail, and just now, the largest earthquake in the history of the state.

At 2253 tonight, I was sitting at my desk with my wife next to me. I started to hear what I thought was the kids playing rather hard in the other room. Kinda like a truck going over a bridge when you are under it. I just started to look around, then it hit. The house started rocking north to south by a few inches and lasted almost a minute. You want to talk about something that will get your heart going, this is it lol.

We live in Oklahoma, not California. We are used to outrunning tornadoes, not dealing with earthquakes. When this one hit, it was quite awesome. And I mean awesome in the actual term, not the "teen term". In 1952, the state recorded the largest quake of 5.5 near Enid. When this one hit, it was said to be a 5.2. But just an hour later, they upgraded it to a 5.6, the largest in state history. People are feeling it from Texas (south and west of here), Kansas, and Arkansas. I was 70km from the center of it, and it was still very strong.

The last quake I went through that I remember was last year. It hit just a few miles from my house and was a 4.7 I believe. Then, we had another big one this morning that I slept right through. After all, it was at 0215 and I was sleeping rather good after a long day. But this one happened while I was in my office with my wife, and no music or TV on. It was silent until I started to hear that rumble. You want to talk about weird, that was it.

So what is left for this year in Oklahoma? We have broken just about every record there is. Just a couple years ago we had the wettest year on record, now we set all of these other records. I'm thinking the next thing is locusts lol.

What are your thoughts?

Whirlybird

:yahoo::boohoo::yahoo: "Oooooooooooooook . . . lahoma, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain.
And the wavin' wheat, can sure smell sweet
When the wind comes right behind the rain.
Ooooooooooooooook . . . lahoma, Ev'ry night my honey lamb and I
Sit alone and shake while the house vibrates
As the earthquake smacks us in the eye." :yahoo::boohoo::yahoo:

Last edited:
Yes Tony saw about your Earthquake on the News, I said to the Wife thats where Tony lives and they normally just get Tornadoes , not Earthquakes, I think old Mother Nature has been getting quite restless the past few years every ones weather is changing and all sorts of catastrophic events

Tony

Staff member
They were all in SW Oklahoma. But yesterday was a weird day. While we had tornadoes on the ground, half the state in a tornado watch, hail the size of tennis balls, and 90+ mph winds, we had another earthquake. This one was a 4.7 and didn't last long at all. i love this state sometimes. All that stuff can only happen in Oklahoma at the same time lol.

Tony

Staff member
if you want to talk superstitions, the "Finger Of God" is an EF5 tornado, and we have had one of those this year as well.

Tony

Staff member
Had another two earthquakes early this morning. I was at work at the base, and never felt them. But, we have people scared out of their mind and leaving the state because of them. Really? Cause of a little earth moving? I guess it's a good thing that they were not in a "big" earthquake lol. I love this state. Never a dull moment.

Top Bottom