Westy's Goblin 630 Maiden Flight ..... warts and all

Derek

That's spectacular, Westy! It looks and sounds great! I can't wait to see the heli in Idle Up once you get the controller "sussed" out, lol.

Take care buddy! It's a beautiful machine!!!

Westy

LEGEND
Cheers my man! No one could tell me what the % should be on Gov Store mode .... So I had to start somewhere .... Download a nice little App for my Ipod that calculates head speed ....... and it have given me the head speed calcs for 60% through to 95% ..... on Gov Store mode with my Pinion and setups!!!!!

So I shall do some experimenting on it .... going up to 60% as that will give me 1964RPM based on my Gov Store test done on the voltage I was running. I will run my Idle up at about 2148 (75%) and help my batterys last .... keep my flights down to 5.30.

Funnily enough I just pulled my batts off balance charge and they only took 4000MAH ...... between the two of them ..... and they have a combined MAH of 10,000 ..... so for the flight i did on 50% Gov store.... based on that result .... would accurately give me about 12 mins flight time ..... and would only use about 8000MAH Which is the 80% threshhold .... the Batts were not even warm coming out of the flight.

- - - Updated - - -

It sure did work well to maintain head speed ..... did not hear it drop down at all ... and that is exactly what I want! not like the Useless ALIGN one I had on the 600 ..... Like night and day in comparison!

Now I will work one building my RIpple Capacitor pack to put into the ESC ..... and that is enough mods for now! .... except I have the Electronics engineer from Italy sending me the WORLDS FIRST DS7s.....

Backlight timer off kit! So since I have done my Backlight mod (TOO perfection) It will auto turn off after 15 seconds .... unless I press a button or roll or press the roller......

Cool Huh? .......

pvolcko

Looks great, Westy! Nice job on the build.

What's the low headspeed? Sounds way low to my ear.

Very nice, though.

Yeah, downside of the ikon, have to have your computer with ya to tune it. Great once tuned and you have the bank settings where you want them, though.

rchelipilot

Yeaaaahoooooo.......Great to see it off the ground, and soooo smooth. Looking forward to more footage. Kudos to you Westy.

Karubah

Fantastic Westy. It was great to follow your Goblin build from start to finish. To see it in the air for the first time is very inspirational. I bet your heart rate was going as fast as the blades on the green machine LOL. Excellent work!!!!

Westy

LEGEND
yeah ..... welll ..... it is trashed now!

Crashed it ..... hit SL and it back ended up and pummelled into the house ..... blew the main blades to bits ...... broke every servo arm.....

NOTE TO SELF >>>>>>> DO NOT DRY TRY THIS AT HOME!

I had sorted out some nodding issues too..... and it was running smooth as........ and KASMASH!!!!!

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
What! Noooooooooo! your pulling our leg right? Sorry to hear that brotha. So when you hit SL it pulled back on ELE?

Westy

LEGEND
Nope .... no leg pulling ..... it is KAPUT!

not too much damage ... all the servo arms on the servos snapped off .... so hope there is no internal damage to them .....

- Tail fin....
- Main Blades
- Hole cut into the exterior of house ....
- One Frame reinforcing leg..... have to pull it off to see if the actual landing leg has cracked.....

Main shaft and Feathering shaft condition unknown
Tail and rotor assembly Unknown condition.....

Canopy was off ... so no damage to that ..... Tail is unscratched.... head and swash are un scathed ..... no other aparent damage.

Not too keen on the SL feature in IKON........... must have to do some more research.....

the good news is I got good head speed and solid tail .... If I had not hit the stupid switch ... it would not have happened as It was smooth floating in the air ad both ID1 and Nor modes !!!!!

Ah well ... .I have calmed down a bit now ..... will go and strip it down a little .... and see what the cost is going to be.

Tony

Staff member
I'm pretty sure you can't do the SL with a swash leveling tool. I'm pretty sure the gyro needs to know where level is, not just the swash. Either way, sucks that you had your first crash on the first day, but it's now out of the way, heli has character now, and you can go smack it around like it was meant to without fear of scratching it lol. Chin up, it's all good.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
Bummer man..SL has worked fine for me, well for the two times I had to use it. hitting SL before take off is one of my pre check every time. what was your settings at?

Westy

LEGEND
I specifically .... wrote them down ...... AIL ANGLE-2.6 and ELE ANGLE - 3.9

how did you set yours up?.... I mean how did you find your level .... because these gobbys sit on the skids with the main shaft tilting forward ... like a real heli...... I put a level on the motor as I thought that would be the best place to hit set on the page that you set the governor SET LEVEL button.

stuffed if I know what I did wrong .... but I remember hitting the switch back to where it was and it took some time for the control to come back .... and man ... it just dove foward and hit the deck (Concrete path and the house at the same time). it was slapping hte blades repeatedly against the house and the ground ... before I gathered my thoughts and thought "WHAT ??????? HIT THE THROTTLE HOLD YOU GUBER@!!!!!!!! this thing aint stopping!"

Westy

LEGEND
might get a little house decal with a line diagonally though it. Like the war birds!! haha - put it on the tail boom

Lee

Dude!!!!!!!!!! No OMG. Sorry to hear that. That SL seems to be catching people out. In hind sight, testing it for the first time low and in close proximity to buildings, may not have been the best idea.
Dude that must have brought a tear to the eye.

Lee

My Warp sits tilted forward too, but i just did the calibration for SL as it sat on the bench.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
I am trying to load a vid right now but You tube is like taking forever or maybe my vid is like huge. what was your max angle degree set at?Help! why won't youtube make me upload. its taking for ever

Last edited:
Top Bottom