Well this sucks...

RCD

Glencairn Drone
So today i recieved a MicroJet V3 and 20A ESC from Grayson Hobby for a project I'm working on. I right away plugged it into one of my planes to test it. Using the recommended propeller(6x4) i give it around 1/2 throttle. As soon as i try to give it a little more power, the motor makes a weird "puff" sound and stops spinning. I look at the ESC and It is in flames!! I rush to the bathroom to get some water to put in out, but luckily, just unplugging the battery stopped it. All pissed and stuff, i call Grayson Hobby to ask for a new one and discover they dont have phone support. :( I had to make a 'ticket' with them and they get back to me ASAP. I think im just going to get their 40A ESC and use a 5x5 APC prop. Do you think I'll be fine with that ESC?

Tony

Staff member
The attack of the "China" strikes again lol. This really sucks. You have a thing for catching ESC's on fire. What you need to do is figure out how much power your motor is pulling, and get an ESC that will handle 10a over what it's pulling. Sucks that you are having these issues though.

RCD

Glencairn Drone
I know! lol That is my 3rd ESC that had caught on fire! Has that ever happened to you?

Anyways, I have a SuperSonic on my Skysurfer with a 30a esc and the superdonic is more powerful than the microjet. So i assume a 40A GRayson ESC will be fine. THe ESC will be waterproofed so will that take away from it's aircooling? (I'm going to wrap it in plastic)

Tony

Staff member
I have never had one catch fire, however that cheap 200a I had for the 600 did throw sparks pretty far.

And yes, wrapping it up will keep it from cooling it's self off. In that case you should go at least 20a above what is suggested by the motor. That way the ESC won't have to work as hard and won't heat up as much.

Top Bottom