Quad Want to build (or buy) a FPV Quadracopter

Lee

Craig you got a mean machine in the works there. I have the Graupner props, but i want to test the Xoars out, once all my spare Graupners are broken. I do have a new Open pilot board on its way from Australia as we speak :D

Tasajara

yeah I keep thinking about trying an open pilot board just haven't done it.
did you buy that open pilot from the site you gave me the went to?

Thanks Craig

GregC

Craig, I am envious! Sounds like you are building my machine! Thanks for not influencing me too much and allowing me to do my own research and finding what seems to really suit me. Although I have still not ruled out building the IFrame. I think that it may be worth $200 just for the learning curve experience. But man, thats funny that your list is so close to the list that I made for myself just to see what one would cost. readytoflyrc has them already assembled for $1500 and it is only short 1 thing as I remember, maybe goggles. But I just don't know about not having the security of knowing what you have by the DIY method.
Regarding that Black Sheep core. I did see that the TBS Discovery had a mounting worked into their frame and a solder down pad for the shield. Does the QAV have this or do you just have to make it work. I am not so sure that I like the Discovery frame for many reasons, but #1 is it doesn't have a damped mounting frame for the cameras. I am sure that the integrated onboard tracing eliminates wire bundles. But I am just not sold on it. (like I know what I am talking about).

Lee

The New board was given to me by the developer. He just sent me a PM with a photo of an envelope saying, "this will be in your door soon" :D I don't know which board it is yet. Should know in the next few days i hope.

Greg, you will love the QAV500. But the arms do bend very easily. So if you do decide to get one, then at least get something cheap like a $45 WL V929 RTF to bash around and dial your skills. The arms are like gold dust. So you won't want to be bending them left right and centre.
All the Best
Lee

GregC

I wonder if the QAV500 arms are made from soft aluminum rather than 6061-T6 Aircraft aluminum? T6 is really not that much more expensive, maybe $5-$6 more. WAIT, I have a better idea, we machine T6 arms ourself! Did I mention that I have a 9 x 40 CNC Mill.
I agree, I will pick up a v929. It will probably use the same batts as my v911. I have been wanting some other stuff form Banggood anyway.

GregC

What do you guys think about this board. (NEW!) Quadrino ZOOM Flight Controller (Advanced Version Rev 1E) - Flight Controllers - Accessories
The Quadrino includes the Arduino micro-controller, Gyro, Accelerometer, Barometer, Magnetometer and on-board usb interface. Plugin your radio receiver channels and ESC motor wires and you are ready-to- fly.
Is this too good to be true, since I eventually want a telemetry display. Or would it be better to add these features in modules in case one becomes inoperable when a part of the board.
Also, I saw that Hoverthings uses what looks like Phenolic arms, which is a little like fiberglass, but more like what pc boards are made out of.

Lee

I've never used the board.
Before Multirotors became popular about a year ago, Hoverthings were the top dogs for Quads. They make very nice machines. I would be interested to see there entry level model in action.

Tasajara

That board seems to do Pretty good... I set one up for my friend, they use Wii code. The only difference from the Flip board is they add heading hold (mag mode), and altitude hold (baro) plus you can add the GPS pretty easy..
I believe the Hoverthings arms are made of G-10 fiberglass... it will eat a regular saw blade up trying to cut it. I have bought a few sheets making a few things....
Spider Quad 2.JPG

Spider Quad 2.JPG

Last edited:

GregC

Ya, I think that I am going to hold it high on my list. I haven't researched it yet, but at first view, I like it. (again, like I know what I am talking about, but I am learning!) I just don't know about Wii. I don't care for Wii video games, so just because my gut doesn't like Wii, it really doesn't mean anything.
Ok, Take a look at these vids. I never saw anything like this. It's like,,,,, you'll just have to see for your self. The second vid is this guys teaser for his new design evidently.
Alltthhoouugghh, It does lend merit to a central aerodynamic cowling to reduce drag. BTW, my v929 shipped from BangmGood today. Not bad, $52 for quad, 3 batts, 8 spare blades, radio, charger and no shipping. Thats a pretty good quad fix for a noob.

Shrediquette BOLT on Vimeo
Shrediquette GEMiNi on Vimeo

Tasajara

The 929 should get you hooked for sure....
Hummmm just noticed you are in Ga. looks like we are neighbors sorta.... I am in Alabama...
You ever been to SEFF? I have went 3 times and got to stay the whole week 2 times. It is a lot of fun.
I had planned to make the trip this year, but I got a stress fracture in my foot and had to use a good bit of my off time. But I still may get to go for 1 day like a Fri.

Lee

You'll love that little quad Greg. I had my wife and my father hovering that thing around the house in no time. I do have a thread with some videos of it in the multi rotor section. I love the look of that Gemini model. The Bolt is working really good, I remember seeing it i the development stage. He seems to have got it dialed in now.

GregC

The 929 should get you hooked for sure....
Hummmm just noticed you are in Ga. looks like we are neighbors sorta.... I am in Alabama...
You ever been to SEFF? I have went 3 times and got to stay the whole week 2 times. It is a lot of fun.
I had planned to make the trip this year, but I got a stress fracture in my foot and had to use a good bit of my off time. But I still may get to go for 1 day like a Fri.

Never been there, do they fly any decent quads there, and do any factory reps show up. Thats about 3.5 hours from me. I grew up in atlanta, and have a friend in Fayetteville. What part of Bama do you live? I can't wait to get my 130 flying, but I think that I am going to be a hard core FPV man. I can feel it in me bones!
Hey, look here: Only Flying Machines | OFM Seeker-450 Quadcopter ARF V2 Version This thing is a TBS Discovery private labeled. A man has to make a living I suppose. Do you think that there is any money in the FPV Quad business? I would think that you could make more with skills in the videography end of it. Is there any buzz about this guy? He seems to know what he is talking about. He sure does a lot of testing of stuff in different config's. He's pretty big on flight testing battery config's. I might pop for $5 for his beginner manual. What could it hurt if it covers general assembling of stuff like it says. It looks like the hookups are not nearly as intimidating as I first thought. The real fear that I have is getting everything to communicate with everything else. There is a lot going on when you have radio control signals, and video signals, and three flight mode possibilities and HD recording all going on at one time. Doing it seamlessly is what scares me most. The flying is easy compared to the technical getting it ready. I can't even get my new 130 to fly. (although the manuf. says its the board.) Watching that thing spool up gives me goosebumps. (wife says that 50 year old men shouldn't get goosebumps from toys) Men Need Toys!
I tried to explain to her that it is not a toy, but rather an surveillance aircraft for the protection of property in the event of a natural disaster! Shouldn't we be prepared! Well she really liked that idea because she really gets into Doomsday Preppers on TV. She even started us a little stash in the event of an emergency several months ago. Man not as stupid with toys now huh. lmao

Tasajara

I live just outside Birmingham...
They should have a few more multi-rotors than last year, because they are the largest growing aspect of the RC hobby right now...
They had one guy last year fly one in the middle of the Mass combat with a camera on board... bet it had a wild video seeing 65 planes crash and fly all around him at the same time.
Yeah the trip for me is 4 1/2 hours. Well worth the trip, to see the sponsored pilots do there thing at the Noon demo. Then the combat after is a hoot... full contact.
There is plenty to see and buy...I like going on Friday less ppl and they do the same demo as Sat.
As far as the builds Alishanmao does , he has tested a lot of different things...There are certain things he want test because he want be selling them. But He can give you a different perspective. It's Always good to take in multiple sources for your info. Not everyone may do it the same, and other styles may fit your needs than what just one person tells you.

There is one thing I like about what he is building.... He is using T-Motors on some of the builds. I have 2 sets of these motors, and I have to say they are some of the best motors for multirotors.
I also have the Avroto 2814 Short Shaft which is good on the bigger Multi-rotors, Only thing about Avroto's is they just have one size at this time.

Keep the wife safe with the FPV Quad... you can add a Mini DVR 808 #16 V2 -Lens D Key Chain Micro Camera HD 720P Pocket Camcorder to the 929 quad... they do a pretty good job very light weight. And you can set them up to be used as your FPV Cam.
I set one up on an FPV Tri Copter for a friend.
FPV Tri Copter.jpg

FPV Tri Copter.jpg

Last edited:

GregC

OMG Guests coming in from out of town seriously affecting my research! I did not know that we had so many things to clean! But you can trust that I honeydood it. It is a natural phenomenon for females to make "new rules" evidently. The new rule is that she doesn't give me static about my RC stuff, but she gets stuff done when needed. Seemed fair enough.
I have one better for you possibly: Mini DVR 808 Car Key Chain Micro Camera Pocket Camcorder Free Shipping! - US$8.00
It is the very same tiny camera only without the 120 deg lens. I have sent them a live chat message (that has never been live chat) (it's their way of you sending them an email question with the stupid live chat link) about the lens. Their price, an amazing $8. I'll let you know what i find out. At the bottom of that link a guy submitted a video he made from his plane to see the quality (or lack thereof) Mostly from the movement of the plane. But for $8 amazing.
Maybe we could meet up at that meet in Fayette.

Tasajara

Not sure about the the view with the smaller lens. I have tried the 120 deg camera and it works pretty good, Also that one came with the 8gb micro sd card. You could also drop that and it would be cheaper.
And a cable to do FPV live video feed.

Last edited:

GregC

Hi Craig, Banggood emailed me back and they do not have the one with 120 deg. lens version 2. Oh well. I have been reading up on flight controllers. Downloaded the DJI NAZA manual and read it. I am going to get the FLIP manual and the Quadrino Zoom and read up. My fear is going away about building a nice quad. But man, you really got to get it down right and tweak the daylights out of it. Naza's are not cheap by any means! I don't want to even ask about the WooKong. I am going to search for some more leads on builds to see what others are doing. Do you have any leads up front. I am saving my cash! Have you started your QAV500 yet? I really like the OFM site, his prices don't seem to be too far out of line, but I am just not ready to fork my money out for anything until I am sure of what I want. I really do not want a Hundai when I can have a Ford (sorry to offend out there). I am going to try and make the SEFF this year. Never been to a big meet. I cannot immagine not being able to learn something and have fun. Hopefully we can meet up.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
If you get the NAZA GPS you will love it! I guarantee it! I love mine. So easy to fly! And the best video you can get for the money! It's not that hard to set up. Only took me a few flights to get mine set up.

Tasajara

I have one Naza on my Hexa.... But I don't have the GPS I bought it before they came out with one of it. I will add it later though.
Have not started the QAV yet. I just went back to work, i had been off for 5 weeks. We are now working a lot of overtime... No building time left when you work 9 hrs a day 7 days a week.
But it does mean I get more toys.... I was getting all my parts in before I start my build. I wanted to put some time and thought into how I lay out the equipment.
No big hurry, I have plenty to fly :joyous:

I made a rack in my garage to hang my Multi-Rotors......

Wall Art.jpg

Wall Art.jpg

GregC

If you get the NAZA GPS you will love it! I guarantee it! I love mine. So easy to fly! And the best video you can get for the money! It's not that hard to set up. Only took me a few flights to get mine set up.

Ya, It does seem that the Naza is rather top of the line. The thing that I just don't get is that some of the other flight controllers do many of the same things for $40. That is a pretty big gap!
One other thing that has me a bit worried is that I have a DX7s 2.4 radio and I want to get the dependability of a good 1.2video signal for better flight aroung obstacles. I think that that might be a problem with the 2.4 radio as well. But a lot of people say that the two are not very compatible with interference issues. I am mostly trying to decide on the FC right now. But I definitely want an OSD. I have plans for it, too stupid to talk about now.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, is your avitar a QAV?

Tasajara

With 2.4 radio you could use 900MHz video equipment. A friend I fly with has a 900MHz system and loves it. He has a DX8 8CH Transmitter and we fly together all the time. He flys all the same areas and if I get a little interference in a section we fly he will also.
They are very close to the same. The 1.3 will be just a bit better. But I do believe you will be just fine with 900MHz... He uses a patch antenna along with a Clover Leaf on his quad and planes.

1.2 or 1.3 will kill your 2.4 radio signal you may not be able to fly a 100 yards or less. I did a test and my Futaba only went 75 yards before i lost control. My friend with the DX8 went about twice as far but he also crashed when he lost signal.

My Avitar was the very first quad I ever built.

Top Bottom