450 vibrations in the protos

murankar

Staff member
Recently with my much failed auto rotations I thought I bent something. So I sent and email to msh-direct and with in the hour I had a reply.

Before we get into that I did check both the main and feathering shafts and today I rechecked the feathering shaft. My blades have been tracking beautifully so I figured I had no issues. Another thought was maybe the blade grips were loose, or maybe (just my luck) the tail output shaft was hosed. After spinning the head by hand the tail spun true.

So why did I recheck the feathering shaft? Well in my reply I was informed that maybe I needed to repack my thrust bearings. So I tore the head apart rechecked the shaft cleaned everything in alcohol. I oiled 8 bearings and packed the thrust bearings with synthetic silicon grease. Then went and reassembled the head.

After about two hours I got to a park near by called blora. Had the kiddos on the playground and I went to go fly a pack. Before going airborne I checked the grips, had to loosen them so they would drop to 45s on a light tug.

So now time to check if all went well. Plugged in the battery and carried it to the volleyball court and crossed my fingers. The spool up was smoother. All in all I think it worked.

Had an ok first pack and got going a little more on the second and the third I was really trying to get flying left to right and vise versa. I really need more packs so I can fly a lot more.

murankar

Staff member
Originally I used white lithium and it was almost gone.

I am thinking it was the lack of grease in the thrust bearings. The bearings are still running smooth.

Lee

Just repacked all my thrust bearings in my 600. Hope to fly it today. Had a slighlt tracking issue after my little tip over from an auto.

murankar

Staff member
When I packed them I put the stack of bearings as if I was sliding it into the blade grip. I left off the race with the larger inside diameter. Squeezed out a bit of grease and scraped it on the bearing. Boy I made one heck of a mess but at least I know the bearings are packed well.

How is the tracking now? Did you repack yours just because you had the head apart already?

Last edited:

Lee

Yeh i just did it because it was open. Will fly it on tuesday. Wind is dropping then.

Top Bottom