450 Vibration!! Vibration!! WTH!!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Sooooooooooo....

One day on my 5th battery of flying and doing some fun maneuvers I saw a sudden jerk in the cyclic axis. I had been doing forward and backwards flight if this was there it would have not been able to stay put on track. But now this was happening.. Sudden jerks ... I bring it back... Put it in the car... Check that my dampners are too soft or worn out at home... Thought that might be causing tracking issues .. Flew it in the lawn yep... Sure thing.. There was tracking issue. Changes dampners... Tracked perfect... still jerking

Decided to upgrade to dfc head in the mean while , of course head was not the problem now do that shouldn't have made a difference and it didn't. Now shaft is dfc, spindle is new. Ok

Checked tail output shaft was out of round... Changed it. A bit of wobble in the tail part of main gear, but that's been there... Hmmm.... So what could it be?

Tail fin is going crazy and of course FBL gyro now is violently going left and right cyclic like its possessed Lol.

No clue what could be vibrating.

15 batteries .. No crashes... Was proud of it, and all of a sudden now I have the vibes that are not seeming to go anywhere... Abd gyro is not liking it :(

I need some ideas here. I am thinking of rewiring the whole dang thing and re building it... But before I go that far... I would like to fix this the easy way.. Or I will just have to start replacing parts till I find the stupid culprit. :/

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Did you take the main shaft and feathering shaft out and check them? I know you have not crashed, but check them. Did you nick a blade? I would check the weight of each anyway. There are not a lot of things that can cause vibrations, just have to start ruling them out.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
That's what I am saying... New head came with a new dfc (shorter) shaft and new spindle.. Never flown still... I haven't put blades on yet. Dfc head hasn't really seen air.. This is all on bench. I thought blades were nicked too. But removed them and spooled.. Same issue. So those are out of the picture

Lee

Bearings. Check torque tube. With blades off, spool up and touch the heli in different parts to assess where the vibration is worse.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Main blocks bearings changed... Tt I'll check again. Vibration seems to be tail area... Not sure... I'll see... Keep the ideas rolling! ;)

Tony

Staff member
I would take that new head apart and check everything, including checking the weight of those arms going to the blade grips. To me it sounds like there is a bearing issue, be it the swash bearing or bushing or something. Could also be the bearings in your motor.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I tried without the head... it was the same.. and like you saw in the video, took the tail blade and grips off.... thinking that there might be something wrong there..

motor and or one way or tt bearings are the only thing left.. I am gonna change all those out.. except for the motor.. never opened one and put it back together in one piece lol... so i donno what to do there... lol

I am thinking of changing out the auto rotation gear too.. I have a little bind in one of the spots because of the warp.. Its been there.. but I am just being paranoid.. lol

Tony

Staff member
Taking an outrunner apart is pretty easy. Just undo the grub screw and pull it apart. Don't yank on the wires though. However if you do have a bad bearing in your motor, it may be easier to just get a new motor lol.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
yeah.. now the question is if i do want to go for a new motor.. would I rather upgrade this motor.. to a little better one (not scorpion)... so my old 2200 wont die but still might have a good amount of power.. I was happy with the power on this motor.. but just wondering.. may be going up to a 450 mx... or you tell me.. what is a better motor..

Tony

Staff member
From what I gathered from the MX that I had here working on a trex, I really liked it. Lots of head speed and lots of torque. I know if I order a super combo from Align, I won't be changing the motor lol.

- - - Updated - - -

And as long as you have a 30c 2200, you should be fine.

Lee

If you remember last year i spent 5 months trying to find a vibration. Turned out to be the carbon boom causing a severe resonant frequency. I would go with what i said before, a bearing issue in something, whether it be, motor, drive gears etc... Did you check the front drive gear? Take everything off that spins. Tail, maingears and head. spool up with just the motor. add the maingear and shaft try again. keep adding back the spinning parts until you have the vibration back, then the last thing you added was the issue.
Hope you fix it dude. My 450 drove me nuts!!!!!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Morelight: It's the vibration... Gyro is fine... The whole heli is shaking at around 0-55 percent throttle.. Gyro won't be the one responsible. ;)

Lee: I am planning to do just that and change the wiring scheme while I am at it. Let's c.. :)

Got the bearings of front and back Tt. Will change gears too... Motor.. I'll check...

Top Bottom