General Very strange reaction at run down

Robair

Please see if you can assist.

I gave just gone through the entire setup of my 500EFL. As far as I know, every single parameter is correct as I checked and double checked, but I fear possibly something glaringly obvious is wrong.

Helicopter on the ground 10-20% rotor speed - no problem
Full and free movements of all controls and helicopter moving the correct direction as helicopter is light on the skids and basicly just just on/of the ground.
Blade tracking is perfect

But here come the part that scared the living heck out of me.

As I shut down the power, the helicopter basically flipped onto the left. Did not quite flip, but hit the bottom of the blades rather hard.

This all happened during the rotor rundown through 10% - 15% power.

Do you possibly have any answer?

Reagds
Rob

Robair

I dont think I hit the throttle hold. Certainly not before the machine started tipping over.
I definitely hit it after the topple started.
I have a linear throttle curve from 0 - 100%

Lee

Are you using 3GX?
Its renowned for tip overs.
If you didn't actually get the heli off the ground and just spooled it up, that could be the problem.

Tony

Staff member
As Lee said, the 3GX 3.1 HATES the ground! Update it to 5.0. You can get the software by clicking on the articles tab above then clicking on the 3GX link on the left.

Robair

Thanks guys,
I thought I was doing something wrong here and getting a bit concerned.
Thankfully there was not too much damage (just badly scratched blade tips) so I will try again tomorrow morning.
I will not run it on the ground but instead get off into ground effect as soon as possible and hopefully see what happens then
I plan to put on training skids just in case it tries it again.

Thanks again.
Rob

Top Bottom