General Upgrading my radio

sneezy007

Hey guys,

I have a DX8 and am looking to upgrade my radio to a DX9 or DX18.
Is the DX18 overkill, am I ever going to need 18 channels?

Thanks,
Dino

Tony

Staff member
Unless you are going to do some full on, large scale aircraft, or full on massive quads with all kinds of gimbles and lights and such, you will never need over 9 channels. I have never needed over 9 channels which is why I have the DX9 Black.

RandyDSok

Much of the time the added channels aren't the prime reason for an upgrade... it's often the other features that a radio brings with it that will help determine if an upgrade is worth it

sneezy007

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Was thinking I may build a scale heli down the road but that would be a long way down the road.

Dino

holtneil

Hi mate the DX9 is a great radio gimbals on the sticks have a really nice feel to them I have scale heli and 9 channels will be good , set up is really user freindly , I removed the wedges from mine with gives me more control over the pitch this makes the heli less jumpy great for scale , the black Tony has does have a different airware from the DX9 , Tony may know what is different between the 2

Tony

Staff member
Actually, I have no idea what is different lol. I thought they used the exact same airware. Going to have to research this...

Admiral

Hi Guys, I think there is a difference but it's not in the Airware there is a system under the Airware, the equivalent to a computers BIOS.
How do I know this? before the DX9 I had a DX8 released before DSMX, when I upgraded the Airware to DSMX I had issues with DSM2 models falling out of the air, so the DX8 had to go back to the Australian Distributor for upgrade. When I was discussing it with the Tech he advised me that it was not just an Airware upgrade that there was another system under the Airware and that my version of that was the original and needed to be upgraded.

Last edited:

holtneil

Hi guys when I went to update airware it listed the DX9 black as version 2.0 but the DX9 was 1.2
So I took it as different still love the DX9 does more than I will ever need

murankar

Staff member
your radio upgrqade needs to be looked at seriously. First off is this is a one time buy or a layover buy. If this is one time buy the you need to see whats out there. While specktrum is a great brand you still need to see whats out there. When frSky, Futaba, Graupner, Mikado and Specktrum you have many choices to go with. What is it your looking for or what do you need and want? Is telemetry a need or a want? Is sigle wire output a need or a want? is cost an issue? Is after purchase support important? once you dig in then we can help you find a radio. Just sayingnyou want a DX18 is not enough for me to recommend you get it. If that radio works out to suit you then so be it. In the end you need to do some research.

Smoggie

Also factor in the cost of replacement receivers and possibly new FBL controllers if you move to a different brand. After you build up a large fleet of planes and helis it becomes a very expensive job to change brands due to the cost of receivers. Even if you dont have a big fleet you may have in the future so it's worth looking at the cost of receivers in isolation because with some brands they are frighteningly expensive.

FWIW I run the DX18 G2 but in reality the DX9 would meet all my needs.

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
thats whats nice nice about the Graupner radio. It has a steller telemetry suite and the cost of RXs are minimal. down side, support. Not to say their customer service suck because I am not. What it lacks is a customer base when compaired to the likes of Specktrum.

Personally if I were looking at a new radio I would look at all of them. I would want the next radio purchase to be the last so to speak. Even if i had to change out RXs.
Now keep in mind if you fly blade products then your basically stuck with specktrum unless you dont care about using the older radio.

Top Bottom