Flight Stabilizers Upgrading my Microbeast with SL & Bailout

Dennis H

What's involved with upgrading my Microbeat with the SL & Bailout features.

I love my Microbeast, just wondering what's involved with purchasing the upgrade and installing. Is it merely an software update?

Just curious, I have a Heli set up and flying fine, I would love to add these two features.

Dennis

Tony

Staff member
As far as I know it is just a firmware update. But I have never actually done the update since I don't have one that is compatible with this update.

Dennis H

It has to be one of the new 'Microbeast Plus' units. The older Microbeasts dont have the hardware to support it.

You need to buy the USB interface 'gizmo' so you can connect it to your PC then you use the StudioX software to pay for, download and install the update.

Well, I have a starting place.

The bigger question, do I go this route, or just get a new Gyro like the AXON, 3SX, or NAZA etc. I am thinking hard.

Smoggie

Also put the MSH Brain and the Spirit Pro on your list to consider. The Spirit will soon have GPS support which will bring in a while new world of rescue functionality (position hold, return to home etc)

Dennis H

Also put the MSH Brain and the Spirit Pro on your list to consider. The Spirit will soon have GPS support which will bring in a while new world of rescue functionality (position hold, return to home etc)

When the Spirit will have the GPS feature, I will definetly will have one.

I wonder how are out they are with releasing the product?

I can't wait.

Dennis

Dennis H

I wonder how far out they are with releasing the new product, is what I meant to say in the second sentence. Sorry

Smoggie

I wonder how far out they are with releasing the new product, is what I meant to say in the second sentence. Sorry

Dennis,

The developer said two to three months and that was at least a month ago.... So if it goes to plan it should be withing the next couple of months. As i'm sure you know, sometimes these technological products can run late so dont set your heart on it just yet. He did say that the external GPS sensor would be quite cheap, i recall a figure of $40 being mentioned.

Dennis H

Dennis,

The developer said two to three months and that was at least a month ago.... So if it goes to plan it should be withing the next couple of months. As i'm sure you know, sometimes these technological products can run late so dont set your heart on it just yet. He did say that the external GPS sensor would be quite cheap, i recall a figure of $40 being mentioned.

I can't wait, I will buy one of the first. I feel this is what we have been needing.

IMO, Dennis

Jimbo

This is interesting that Spirit is coming out with a GPS and everyone seems to like the idea. I wonder why the Naza-H did not catch on when it came out, with all those, back in 2013?? Before its time I guess.

Jim

Dennis H

This is interesting that Spirit is coming out with a GPS and everyone seems to like the idea. I wonder why the Naza-H did not catch on when it came out, with all those, back in 2013?? Before its time I guess.

Jim

The NAZA-H didn't have the bells and whistles the Skookum 720 has.

If the Spirit has close to the Skookum bells and whistles, it will definetly sell.

JMO, Dennis

Jimbo

No, because the WooKong did and both were made by DJI. Not sure I need waypoints and return to home on a helicopter. I did not have good luck with the Spirit Pro. I found the setup program way beyond a novice. The instructions and the developer, expected you to know a lot in advance. I emailed, back and forth with Tomas and still could not understand what he was telling me. Never got it to work well, but that might have just been me.

Jim

Dennis H

No, because the WooKong did and both were made by DJI. Not sure I need waypoints and return to home on a helicopter. I did not have good luck with the Spirit Pro. I found the setup program way beyond a novice. The instructions and the developer, expected you to know a lot in advance. I emailed, back and forth with Tomas and still could not understand what he was telling me. Never got it to work well, but that might have just been me.

Jim

No, you really don't need the waypoints. But with my eyesight, I need the Return to Home feature.

Was Thomas with DJI? I know I had fits with the Skookum w/GPS and getting it set up correctly. A lot of these programs are tricky to set up these days, at least for me it is.

Let's hope for the best and hopefully they come out with great instructions to install the Sprint.

Dennis

Jimbo

LOL!! We can only hope. Tomas is a developer for the Spirit Pro. Very nice fellow, but he is a programer and to his defence, he just could not explain things in a way that a non programer could understand. I am glad this is coming around again and hope that it works out.

However I found the setup program very clear for the Naza.

Jim

Smoggie

Jim,

I'm not sure when it was that you tried the Spirit but the software has got much easier to understand and use compared to the early versions.
To be honest with most of these FBL controllers it's mostly about familiarity. I can set a Vbar up in my sleep but that's mainly because I've done so many of them not necessarily because they are easier (though they are pretty easy!)

Dennis H

I worked in the automotive electronics field most of my life. If you can understand the engineers that built some of the equipment they put on automobiles and passenger trucks, you, or I should understand what they build for our Heli's.

Well I hope I understand. After 30 years, I became friends with several of them. Yep, they needed help in the field to test what they were building. Sometimes the proven grounds were somewhere in Arizona and the components did not work well in other parts of the world.

I was one of them who tested systems in our environment for them to figure out how to make them work. Yes, it happens. I even had 2 "Service Articles" written up in my name as I helped figure out a few problems. They even flew a few engineers down a few times to assist and of course test themselves to see the problem first hand, and actually assisted in correcting the issue.

One article or fix is strictly attributed to me 100% as I gave 100% of the answers to correct it. Out of 30 plus years, yes, I scored one for them.

Dennis

PS: I received a plaque, but I am still waiting on the checks!

Jimbo

The deeper I get into this hobby, I realize why I excel at building things out of wood, like barns, chicken coops and such. Pull the trigger on the drill and it works. If it doesn't, I toss it aside and pick up my trusty hammer. No programing required. :biglaugh:

Jim

Top Bottom