Misc Updating my DJI F550

Tasajara

I did a little upgrade to the 550.
I added the Naza M V2 w/GPS
So far I really like it. Here are a few pics.
I will post a short video of my first test flight..
The two carbon tubes sticking out front will hold the Brushless Gimble I have on order.

01 - DJI F550 Naza m V2.JPG03 - DJI F550 Naza m V2.jpg

01 - DJI F550 Naza m V2.JPG

03 - DJI F550 Naza m V2.jpg

Last edited:

Tasajara

Here is the short video of my Maiden test flight in the backyard... :p

[video=youtube_share;DUFQq0IOdRY]http://youtu.be/DUFQq0IOdRY[/video]

Last edited:

Stambo

Bah, Naza with GPS, it's cheating, you not flying, it is. :)
Now for the real truth. I am so jealous, I can't afford one.
Very nice, nice hex too. A friend of mine built a quad like mine and I thought it he was gonna put a KK2 on it.
He turned up here yesterday for its maiden flight, apart from a quick hover to make sure it flew.
That Naza flew great right out of the box. Again, so jealous.

Karubah

That looks just great. You may have to answer a few Question shortly as i just ordered my first quad build kit with naza gps. Cant wait to start.

Tasajara

Thanks for the kind words... I started with a KK they work pretty good.
A great board that is a much better board is the MultiWii Flip 1.5 and it want break the bank @ $15.
But once you add pins and a cable it will be a little more. I have 2 of them on other quads. It also has auto leveling.

On another note...
I figured it out all but one thing. I have got to get my Futaba 10C to trigger Failsafe when the TX is at loss of power.

The one thing that will make or break how well it does is getting the GPS mounting Location measured right. If you are off it will do the toilet bowl effect when switched on. I had a negative number on some settings and it didn't like it. Once I changed that to positive it was all good. When mounting the GPS on a stand you would think "Z" setting the heigth would be positive. But it is negitive even though it was mounted above the Main controller.

Last edited:

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Criag, you need to mix a two position switch in with the three position your using for your mode switch. I also had to use my ar8000 instead of the ar7000 I was originally going to use to get the failsafe to work.

Tasajara

I can program the switch to do failsafe with out any problem. Right now I am using 2 - 3 pos. switches for different flight modes. It is at loss of power on my TX when the throttle settting kickes it on.
I have Man, Atti, and GPS mode on one switch. On the other I have Home lock, Course Lock and Off.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
You should have a 2 position switch programmed in there mixed with your 3 position switch for the man, att, and GPS. So that's 3 switches in total. When you flip the 2 position switch it should put it in failsafe. Otherwise you don't get the failsafe to work right. Plus like I said before it would not work with the ar7000 RX. I had to use my ar8000 RX to get the failsafe to work properly. Now your not using spektrum tx RX combo. So I'm not sure exactly how to program your setup. Give me a call if you have time I'm going down to my workshop I'm a few to work on my QAV. Got my gimbal in the mail this week so I'm going to mount it.

Tasajara

Thanks for the offer..... But I was going to figure this out.... being I use Futaba radio it would be nothing like what you did.
Geeeesss I got it this evening...all it took was a little more reading. I found out that all I had to do was run my Radio in 10 channel mode to have access to failsafe settings on 8 channels.
In 7ch mode it just has one failsafe ch3.
Didn't have to do any extra switch or mixing. Just pull up the failsafe menu select the channel and how much adjustment you need , enter and it was done.

Now if I can get up the nerve to turn off the Radio and see how well it works :cower: LOL

Last edited:

WyDiablo

Yea, that's scary as hello the first time you turn that switch off and then you are wondering what its gonna do or not gonna do lolol. My first time at LTH after turning off the switch it came home and landesd within a 3 foot circle of where it took off from. Big smiles here for sure and very proud of the way it returned.

Tasajara

Did a little more testing on my F500 Hexa...
I got up the nerve to try out the FailSafe if I lose signal. (turning my radio off)
It worked great, only problem is my friend holding my GoPro bumped the video button.
So the video stopped right in the middle of the Hexa starting to land. He started it right back, so we only
missed a few seconds.
Sorry for the dim video it was late evening...

Last edited by a moderator:

WyDiablo

Man if that is your back yard you have wayyyy to much grass to mow lololol. Great video and show of the RTH feature on your naza. I have not as of yet upgraded my naza to the latest version. I have read way too many complaints from guys that have had bad times with the upgrade. If it ain't broke don't fix it lololol

Last edited:

Tasajara

I did my first naza and it didn't seem to like the upgrade, so I put it back to the older firmware. Yeah if it works good I would leave it..

AJupstateNY

Greetings,

I also have the 550 and love it. I have it with the Devo 7 that it came with, but also have the DX9 and trying to get all the info
I need to put in the AR9020. I have to set program and install the AR receiver. I have lights, and ready to install them also. Also
have the Aeroxcraft F550-LG Landing Gear on her.DJI 550resized.jpg

AJ

DJI 550resized.jpg

WyDiablo

The 550 that I had was ok but it did not like the landing gear and the noodles that Tasajara is using. I guess that if I had been using motors other than that T-Motor 900Kv it probably would have done much better

Top Bottom