Spektrum TX suggestion help

Derek

I apologize for posting this thread here. My question is more "generalized" but there is no specific place for "generalized transmitter" questions.

Currently, I have a DX6i and despite my recent troubles with the scroll wheel, it's been an awesome radio. Very user friendly.

I have a Trex 500e Super Pro with flybar and I have several scratch built airplanes and even an upcoming planned project of a scratch built Gyro-Copter. I'm going to be wanting a transmitter with at least 8 channels this year. I want to be able to have flaps and retracts on my planes as well as bomb droppers and I'm planning on getting a DFC head for my 500 along with the AR7200bx. I'm also planning on getting a FLB 600 heli (I hope).

With all of that being said, I do have to say that I can see the scroll wheel on my DX6i being a "trouble issue" that I just don't want to continually deal with. I have enough troubles with my own personal confidence so you can imagine that I don't want to be constantly messing around with that scroll wheel. For a while now, I've been thinking about the DX8 (since all my Rx's are Spektrum, anyway) but there again we have that scroll wheel.

Can you suggest another transmitter, with at least 8 channels, that I should be looking at? I know there are many out there but I could really use some suggestions. I'd really like to stay under $500.

Lee

DX8, The scroll wheel is fine if you just remember not to press at the bottom of the wheel. Iv'e had the DX6I and the DX8, never with any issues.
These other are just ideas for you. I have no experience with them.
Futaba 8FG, but then you'd have to change all your RXs.
Aurora 9, Nice touch screen.
Walkera DEVO 8 or 12, nice looking radio but again you'd need to change all your RXs.
Turnigy 9XR has a module port on the back so you can choose what ever system you want to run.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Myself I prefer spectrum tx's. if you go to anougher brand then you will have to replace all your Rx's too! There s no issues with the scroll wheels on these tx's. Now that you know that you were pressing the wrong side of the wheel, you should be fine. Remember you are the one who messed up your dx6i not spectrum! There are thousands of these radios out there. No issues unless your working the tx the wrong way! Just my 2 cents! Lol.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
JRX9503.. Love JR Radios.. DSM2 and DSMX compatible.. I use al DSMX rx's...

I like DX8 too .. But I dont use it

I buy my stuff used with caution. I cant say its always rainbows and peaches.. you have to know who and where you buy from and be good to look for "hidden" stuff.. .. But I save a BOAT load! :D I got my JR X9503 for under 300

Derek

LOL @ Sam...telling me that i'm using my Tx the wrong way, lol. You are absolutely right!

Now that I've actually opened my DX6i up and seen that the scroll function is on the bottom and the select function is on the top, I just need to remember to use my DX6i the correct way.

Thanks for the slap of reality guys!!! I'll be looking to get the DX8 in the near future so that I can have the added options that I want and NOT have to change out all my Rx's.

Take care fella's! I'm off to work.

stokke

I have the DX7S - and I'm loving it. My wheel does act up sometimes, but I have come to find that it does this pretty randomly... Other than that I feel the DX7S fulfills my every need. If money is no object; go DX8 - but if money is hard to find, I believe the DX7S is just as good as the DX8. The only thing missing is back lit LCD.

If I was to get a new Tx today, I think I would look at JR's.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I dont think so Stokke.. Tony himself used to sell backlight mods for DX6i.. not a whole lot different from the DX7 I guess.. I am not the best at soldering to be perfectly honest.. all it takes is two solders.. :) Depending on what mod..

HK has a mod for radios to make them backlit.. and its easy peesy too.. Tony had the best "How to's " for that out there! Dont know if that page is still up or not.

murankar

Staff member
I think he took it down. He had issues with the quality of the parts. In the videos he had references to purchasing them. As of right now he no longer sells them.

My backlight was plug and play. Very easy mod on the 9X.

Derek

I've been working with one of my new scratch built planes and getting the settings straightened out. I've been still using my DX6i and I'm still having a few issues with the scroll wheel but the issues are ALOT fewer than they were before. I've also been very very aware of "scrolling" on the bottom of the scroll wheel and "selecting" at the top of the scroll wheel. I definitely have a better understanding now.

Also, I have a friend in Canada that saw my video the other day when I was showing the initial issues that I was having. He has a second DX6i that he got for cheap and he keeps it around for spare parts. After watching my video, he sent me a message on YouTube, asking for my address and he would send me the scroll wheel as well as the board, wiring, and plug. What a great friend there! When it gets here, I'll change out the parts and see if that will totally resolve the issues. If not...I'll just pay better attention to what I'm doing, lol.

Tony

Staff member
As stated, I took all of the videos down because of the crap quality that my supplier decided to go with after I started selling the kits. I guess he was thinking, a little is good, a lot is better as far as profit. Well, he isn't making any profit now lmao.

Westy

LEGEND
Do you have to be good at soldering to perform that swap?

Yes you do have to be pretty good. I had to work it out for myself as I could not find one online that showed how to do it. I used a Hobbyking one that is used for the 9x radio.... I had to really had this as it would not fit into the screen area.

I wrecked the first one .... lucky I got 2 for the experiment.

Top Bottom